Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

'8'86 Accord DX(?) engine difficulties (cyl head)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '8'86 Accord DX(?) engine difficulties (cyl head)

I'm looking for sources for rebuilt/reman cylinder head (complete with valves) for an '86 12V carbureted base model 4 door Accord. It's the Canadian model - not sure if that changes the engine any.

Did a compression test on mine today to figure out why my engine is lumpy at idle and steady cruising speed, and cyls 1,2, & 4 were at 183, but cyl 3 was only showing 120. A previous owner or mechanic who'd worked on the car also cross-threaded the hold for the #4 spark plug - I had a hell of a time getting it back in.

Plugs were also showing a bit of lean condition, but I could see no evidence of a vacuum leak.

In winter the car tends to stall when not under power - e.g. pulling up to an intersection - until the car is fully at operating temperature. I suspect the choke, though I'm far more familiar with EFI engines.

Finally, even though I've changed all the rear bulbs, the dash "brake lamp" light comes on and stays lit every time I drive the car. Suggestions? Anyone know where I can find a good wiring diagram?

Other than that the car is immaculate. It does drive well, save for the lumpiness at idle or steady cruising, and cold-weather stalling.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: '8'86 Accord DX(?) engine difficulties (cyl head)

compression could be rings not just head..

"brake light" could be you are low on brake fluid...
Old 06-18-2009, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hrmmm.... could be the brake fluid level sensor then, as the BF reservoir is full.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The low compression could be a number of things honestly, rings, piston, but its usually a burnt exhaust valve. Lumpiness at idle...welcome to carbhood lol. It probably has alot to do with the lean condition noticed by the spark plugs.
Cross-threaded spark plug holes are extremely common in these motors, Aluminum heads mixed with steel spark plugs make for a mess. All you can really do is drill it out and use any of the kits made for this kinda thing. Or take it to a machine shop and have them do a quality job on it.
The brake light could be the fluid level sensor.

The rest of your problems are more than likely carb issues. I dont know much about carbs, but the experts at www.3geez.com can help you there.