1980 Civic 1500dx 5 speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: 1980 Civic 1500dx 5 speed

Originally Posted by HondaJax

what are the main jets?
That was a bit of a joke but the jets are like fuel injectors that are atmospherically pressurized and stay open, responding to vacuum rather than a controlled electrical feed like in a set of earbuds. Bigger hole in jet flows more gas for a given level of vacuum which in turn gives a richer fuel mixture. I don't even know if jets are accessible in those 3bbl Keihen carbs, we just threw Webers on them.
Retain the vacuum advance. You might have 2 lines going to dizzy, one of those is vacuum retard- Don't use it. Keep the vacuum lines running to valve cover, u want to keep motor ventilated. Don't necessarily need choke or throttle kick up solenoid but u might have to pump the gas pedal to get it going in the morning without those. Everything else is mostly horseshit but make sure its all capped off w no vacuum leaks. Oh yeah hook up brake booster if stopping is a priority.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Hondaracinaldo. I have a weber with electric choke. Gotta figure out how to hook it up when I get to that point.
How concerned should I be about stuff falling in my cylinders during cleaning? Mostly pb blaster, blue shop towels, and elbow grease. I did use the shop vac to vacuum them out when I was finished as well as set all my Pistons at half stroke before cleaning. Should I pour some oil in the top of each cylinder and let it run down to clean the rings?
I don’t think I’m gonna get started rebuilding it since I got called in today. There’s too much to clean and if I’m not going to fully rebuild it, I at least have to clean it right. I’ll post current progress pics. Rushing makes mistakes.
I also need to get a few things like spark plugs and oil still. My machinist highly recommend a copper gasket spray to coat my head gasket. I read thats old technology. What are you guys using now.
Stupid Question: Where does the vacuum originate from? My valve cover?
Old 01-19-2019, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do I have to pull the crank pulley to get the lower timing belt cover off? It looks like Im leaking a ton of oil around the timing belt
Old 01-22-2019, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes you have to take the timing cover off lol and btw literally everything thats vacuum on your car can be eliminated and capped off other than your brake booster and timing advance
Old 01-25-2019, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Been crazy busy with work. Slowly cleaning up my engine and bay. A lot of my previous questions I still need answers to. Sorry this is all new to me.
Yesterday I came home to my parts all over the house and the boxes destroyed thanks to my dog. Guess she’s rushing me lol
Good news is I finally got an extension long enough to get leverage on the crankshaft pulley and got it off. I discovered why the car died. My timing belt doubled up on itself and the cs and seized. Also I have 60 hours this week and all my bills are paid. 👍 should be about a grand worth of car money after taxes. Stoked!
Heres the pics I took of cleaning progress. Pics don’t exactly do justice. You need to see it in person or compare it to the old photos to appreciate it because it still a 40-year-old car.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 01-25-2019, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lookin good ! as far as the carb stuff goes we will address it when you get the carb on, you only have to run vac to your booster (off the intake) and the electronic timing advance off the carb.. literally everything else can literally be just capped off
Old 01-26-2019, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's tough to work overtime AND get a project going, u gotta' haul *** on the weekends.
I'm somehow trying to fit the gym into all of this but will prob have to give up working 10s when my civic project really starts taking off.
Maybe throw some ring and rod bearings in while you have the chance, super easy to do on these blocks. Bores are factory hardened and don't really wear much, just hone and check ring gap. Never mind that color code nonsense with rod bearings, a few tenths of a thou not critical in a 6k rpm motor. Just use a standard set and plastigauge, assuming journals haven't been totally beat on.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Everything is back together with the weber carb. I hooked up brake booster and timing advance and deleted everything else. Hooked a switched 12v to the electric choke.
Car will not start. I think timing is off. I made sure cylinder 1 was at TDC and my lines on my camshaft lined up with the notch facing up when I put the head on. I followed the honda shop manual so I think its right.
The problem is when I torqued the crankshaft pulley it turned the engine.
Now I have no idea where TDC is.
I lined up the dizzy marks and put the cap on and nothing... help plz
How do I find TDC without taking the car back apart?
Old 03-18-2019, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well I mean if you dont know if its tdc I wouldnt be turning it over a bunch of times lol take the timing belt off the cam gear and set the head to tdc (prob has a timing line on the cam gear that goes flush with the head) , pull the #1 spark plug out of the head and get a long screwdriver and drop it down in the cylinder, rotate the bottom end till that cylinder is in that tiny 1 tooth window of being at the very top of its stroke , not going up and not going down, thats TDC , make sure the head is lined up and put the belt back on and tighten the tensioner , done
Old 03-19-2019, 03:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I lined up TDC on the block and the TDC marks on my head before I put the belt on and tightened it down. THEN, I rotated the engine by accident torquing the crank pulley. That means my head and block are still in time, but not TDC? Is this right?
I need to find TDC again, line up my dizzy rotor to TDC, and replace the cap?
I turned the car over alot already trying to start it. Not constant but a few cranks, pull the dizzy, rotate the engine a little, replace, repeat.
I managed to start the car but it was running really rough so I turned it off to try to get it better and then I couldn’t get it to start again.
I gave up after I got a “backfire” in my carburetor.
I also rotated the motor clockwise at some point during working on it and I saw that the motor is only supposed to rotate counterclockwise. does that matter? I’m pretty sure everything was in line back up when I bolted back together and put the timing belt on. How bad did I mess it up by starting it over and over?
Old 03-19-2019, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes you have to restart completely over on resetting the timing , and if the timing is too far off you can create detonation in the cylinder when its not supposed to or worse pistons smacking valves these are interference engines
Old 03-19-2019, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What do you mean interference engines?
Make sure I dont do this a third time..
Pull the valve cover
Remove timing belt off cam gear
Set block back to TDC with screwdriver in spark hole
Set cam gear back to TDC (align marks with cylinder head with notch facing up)
Reinstall timing belt
Adjust tensioner
Set Dizzy timing
Install dizzy
Install cap
��
Start car

I dont quite understand why I cant rotate the whole assembly if they were in sync when I put the belt on
Old 03-19-2019, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

google interference engine
Old 03-19-2019, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Fack!!! So basically a good chance I bent a valve or fucked up a piston?Now I need to strip it to the head again to inspect everything?!
If I had them in sync when I mated them, how could they interfere with one another?
My block and head are in time but my firing order is off. Am I thinking about this wrong?
Block and head were at TDC when I put in the timing belt. Unless the belt slipped, how did it get out of time? Its just not TDC but both the head and block are the same degree off tdc. In time with each other but out of time with firing
Old 03-19-2019, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol no hopefully timing wasnt off bad enough to make them smack im just saying it was a chance, id reset the timing and go from there and once timing is reset you can do a compression test to see if bent/damaged anything
Old 03-19-2019, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Fingers crossed.
Want a third one? Lol
Old 03-24-2019, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got it started today. Took it to the gas station and put air in the tires. It seemed to be bogged down like the power wasnt making it to the tranny. It was also Idling high. I noticed my heater hose delete cap flew off on the ride. I went to the parts house and got a new cap. I installed it and adjusted my idle and air mixture on tge carb and let it idle. The fans were cycling and the engine was idling at temp. I took it for a second test drive. Again it felt bogged down. Almost flooded when you step on it. The engine gets loud but no movement at the wheels. I got it up to 45 and the temp started rising. I turned around and limped it home. The temp gauge never registered over 3/4 but the radiator blew a hole as soon as I pulled in the driveway.
Any suggestions?
Could timing being off a tooth or two cause this?
I cant get a screwdriver into my cylinders. I used the finger pressure method to find tdc. It started right up and idled good with no backfires.
The clutch feels gone which could explain barely having power 1-3 and none 4 and 5.
Maybe it was just the radiators day?
Old 03-26-2019, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bro... finger pressure method isnt anywhere near close to being accurate... get a coat hanger and straighten it out ... do it right this time.. it has to come apart again... literally 1-2 teeth off will make the car not run right... FINGER PRESSURE METHOD REALLY.... "close enough" wont do bud
Old 03-28-2019, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I didnt have anything that would fit. I was gettin antsy. Guess Ill buy a coat hanger.
Since my head was shaved, doesnt that affect timing?
Any thoughts on the radiator?
Old 04-01-2019, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What is a good “universal” radiator I can buy that will work for my car now and after I do a swap?
Old 04-01-2019, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got 'er going, good deal.

I do know from past experience that cam advanced a tooth will slightly improve bottom end power but will suck midrange and top end. Vise versa retarded a tooth, will be gutless but will start to make power when you wind it out. Definitely want to get a long skinny screw driver or coat hanger and watch piston dip and raise around TDC- play with it and you'll know exactly where you want to be. Hook belt up, do full counter clockwise rotation and double check marks on sprockets. These motors are low compression so less likely to crash valves if youre off, 1 tooth won't even do it on an 11/1 D.

Don't over advance dizzy, you can lose power before getting detonation issues, b
again, low compression.

The stratified charge engines will actually run quite well on a weber, that port in adapter plate feeding precombustion chambers works
Old 04-02-2019, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

P.s. if I remember correctly those 32/36 Webers have an inlet and outlet for fuel and wrong one will starve motor under power but still idle, found that out on a 79 station wagon with that 1776cc engine. holy ****-22 years ago.

Mild head shave will slightly retard cam but I ran -.020" on stock sprocket with no noticeable effect, was maybe a degree or 2.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

New all aluminum radiator with fan and shroud should be here today.
Been looking into the engine swap and I cant decide between the ZC or the Z6
ZC is dohc and no vtec. I cant source any for cheap
Z6 is sohc and vtec. I can get a D16 block all day from the junkyard and buy a built Z6 head I believe.
I plan to turbo. Can someone give me the pros and cons?
Old 04-16-2019, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

more question is how much do you want to spend and are you wanting to be obd0 or obd1

Quick Reply: 1980 Civic 1500dx 5 speed