Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Classic Hondas (https://honda-tech.com/forums/classic-hondas-106/)
-   -   1980 Civic 1500dx 5 speed (https://honda-tech.com/forums/classic-hondas-106/1980-civic-1500dx-5-speed-3331768/)

TheBluePit 12-21-2018 01:23 PM

1980 Civic 1500dx 5 speed

Had the 1980 1.3l civic about ten years ago and scrapped it😡🤬🤯
Next came a 94 prelude that I wrecked.
Next I got a 97 prelude that I currently own.
Last week I found a “gem” worth buying. 1980 civic in immaculate condition with original owner manual and ALL records from the first owner from 1980-2007. Im guessing a younger person owned it next as it has custom paint (midnight blue sparkle, hit with pearl clear, hit with more clear) and remnants of a wiring harness for subwoofers. Blew the head gasket driving her home from the auction (3 hr drive😂)
I aim to rebuild and turbo the stock EM
For now just a regular rebuild will get her running again. End goal is showroom quality, daily drivable, fun car. WITH AC fixed lol
Anyone have suggestions on a quality brand head gasket or preferably gasket set? I saw RpmRons but wanna make sure its OEM quality and not ebay quality.
Any cheap motor swap suggestions?

dilbeckskate 12-22-2018 10:56 AM

Re: 1980 Civic 1500dx 5 speed

Nice find post some pictures of it ! and theres a few things to go over here ok bud... theres no "cheap swaps" im better part of $5000 between parts and labor putting a dohc zc into my 79 civic the right way and with modern electronics. You can pretty easily put a single cam d-series in them and would be fun but theres still alot of aspects of it that add up quick in $$$ . As far as turbocharing the stock motor its literally a waste of time and pretty much all the rebuild parts are unavailable and that stock motors rods would pack up and go south off very little boost and you are stuck doing a draw through/blow through carb setup which is not only poor for tuning but you have no idea what detonation/intake air charge temps are and throw raw fuel into the mix... buy whatever parts counter headgasket you can get and put on it im sure it will be perfectly fine ive never seen/heard of a cheap HG affecting performance or longevity its really about cleaning/prepping all your surfaces and torquing correctly. IMO unless you are wanting to spend $5,000-10,000+ into it literally do a gasket kit and timing belt/water pump, change all the fluids, put a weber 32/36 on it and ditch all the vacuum shit and just rock it OG and spend your money on suspension/wheels/tires/interior . There are a few things in your favor it being a 2nd gen over a 1st , D-Series Single Cam swaps are pretty straightforward, brake upgrades are pretty much direct swap with EF Si brakes and you are already 4x100 soo you have a huge selection of wheels , down side sadly is 2nd gens arent and probably wont ever be really sought after soo again IMO making a show car out of one probably wont ever be worth it , rock it flawed and just make it dope

TheBluePit 12-23-2018 12:55 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...6bd83acee.jpeg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...4c4ea3ba1.jpeg

TheBluePit 12-23-2018 01:11 PM

Thats exactly the info I needed. Old motor will not be upgraded. Rebuild will consist of new gaskets, timing belt, water pump, weber carb conversion, new fluids, plugs, and wires.
Elaborate on the vacuum delete please.
Would you recommend a new oil pump or rings while Im tore down?
Should I consider a machine shop for the head or get a graphite seal and some rtvblack and call it a day?
I dont want to have to rebuild it for at least 2 years.
In the meantime I will start saving/building a d series swap for the future when I plan to modernize mine.
D16 or D18 for boost?
Thoughts on bag suspension?
As far as “showroom” I just want a clean unique car that turns heads. I think we’re on the same page. Im building it for me. Not as an investment.
I am enjoying your build and learning so thanks.

TheBluePit 12-23-2018 01:28 PM

Cant upload for some reason. Check the new user thread

Blue-Civic-Hybrid 12-24-2018 07:48 AM

First thing I want to say is it looks like you got quite a gem there. If you are going for a full stock rebuild, I would suggest finding a mechanic who is familiar with these old Hondas, Tim Mings (Merciless Mings) springs to mind if you happen to be in California. Parts will be hard to find and as stated earlier, might be kinda pricey.

Unfortunately if you are in California, you will still be required to smog this so be wary on your engine upgrade, unless you have some friends in low places at smog stations.

As for for air suspension, there are a few out there on bags but it will require some semi-custom setup. AirLift can make a system for you but you are looking around $3k+ for the complete setup. BC Racing has a nice coilover system that I know the make for 1975+ Honda Civics, I'm sure the the 1980's model isn't that different and at $995.99 for a complete setup, it's not a bad deal.

TheBluePit 12-24-2018 08:54 AM

I live back in Jacksonville not in California anymore. But on a plus side... Screw emmissions ‘merica! I had to grease some palms to get my 94 Prelude to pass there. Funny thing is we have a specialty Honda shop and their motto is if you see any old Hondas on the road chances are we probably serviced them. I called and was told my car is too old lol. I’ve been shopping around a lot for parts seeing as it’ll probably never be a true collectible car I don’t feel so bad putting aftermarket consoles/mirrors/seats etc.I’m going to get her up and running again right after Christmas and then I’ll start saving up to bring her into the 21st-century. I’m ordering a gasket kit and a weber carb conversion as soon as I get paid Wednesday. This is my generations, or my specifically classic project car. I’m not really looking at it from a monetary value standpoint I’m looking as a hobby/passion.

Blue-Civic-Hybrid 12-24-2018 12:18 PM

Welcome to the club then, you could go down the path I'm going with my CVCC wagon but I don't recommend it.:cheers:

TheBluePit 12-24-2018 01:19 PM

What issues are you having besides obv a money pit?

dilbeckskate 12-24-2018 04:05 PM

that thangs sweet

TheBluePit 12-25-2018 09:51 AM

Thank you. The build thread is gonna start this year. Could you give me more info or a link on the vacuum delete? Merry Christmas

dilbeckskate 12-25-2018 02:29 PM

Vac delete isnt as complicted as it seems , literally id change carbs first (weber 32/36) then literally all the stuff you unhooked that isnt the brake booster or timimg advance put a vac cap on or take it out and throw it in the trash

TheBluePit 12-26-2018 05:48 AM

Egr gets deleted? Should I order a new exhaust manifold gasket? It looks pretty singular in pics. Do I need 4? https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F272706678400

dilbeckskate 12-26-2018 08:03 AM

I dont think it has a EGR valve coming off the exhaust on that motor theres a heat exchange tube that comes off the exhaust manifold to the intake to feed in warm air to get the motor up to operating temperature faster , yes you can delete all of that jazz just make sure you are plugging and capping the the holes on the intake off

dilbeckskate 12-26-2018 08:04 AM

110% best performance upgrade would be

TheBluePit 12-26-2018 09:11 AM

Thanks. I checked those websites for info never thought to yt them. I have a lot to learn about this old beast.
Rebuild update: First setback for what I anticipate to be aprox. the next 3 years. Due to Christmas, payroll wasn’t processed in time, so no parts today 😑 fingers crossed we can order tomorrow.

TheBluePit 12-27-2018 08:27 AM

I still cant figure out why my pics dont upload 😑
Update: Ordered my parts today. They should start arriving next week.
•Weber 32-36 Carb Conversion
•timing belt and components
•water pump
•temp sensor and thermostat
•master OEM rebuild kit from the factory
(pistons, rings, rods, main and rod bearings, gaskets, thrust washers)
•Factory repair manual for 1980 Civic 1500dx
The build has officially started 👍
Seriously considering getting the head machined/ rebuilt. Would it be worth rebuilding myself. Im guessing no more than 350 for a machine/ rebuild. Im not experienced with machine shops so its just a guess. Anyone know a ballpark price?
Are there any components/parts I missed that would be worth having on hand for the rebuild? i.e. RTV silicone, WD-40/PB blaster
(My neighbor is retired ASE mechanic so I have access to everything but a lift as far as tools)

dilbeckskate 12-27-2018 09:29 AM

I mean you can get the head machined it wouldnt hurt , I personally wouldnt do a full rebuild, id change all the top end gaskets and the oil pan gasket and timing belt/water pump and the carb change and send it

TheBluePit 12-27-2018 10:32 AM

Just machined or machine and rebuild? Any particular reason not to full rebuild other than it throws off the timing? I just dont wanna half ass it. I paid a mechanic to do my head gasket on the first one I bought and four months later I snapped a piston and had to completely rebuild it again. Off to the scrap yard it went. That’s the only reason I lean towards the rebuild . I was concerned parts were going to be an issue but for an extra hundred dollars for all the components including Pistons, I bought it. If I'm wasting my time let me know. Im not a mechanic Im mechanically inclined. I want to be sure I can drive the hell out of it for the next two years while I finish restoring the interior, exterior, suspension, and saving for a proper motor swap. (Looks like remanufactured d16y8 vtec is about $1500) hurry up and finish yours so I can get ideas 👍
Oil pan gasket- check
What else?
thanks

dilbeckskate 12-27-2018 06:18 PM

idk if I was paying full rebuild money and having to pay somebody to do it on top of it id swap it to a d-series on side draft carb and get way more power/fun for your investment

TheBluePit 12-28-2018 11:55 AM

D swap is about 2 years out. I’ll research side draft carbs. Ill be doing the rebuild myself on the EM. I dont wanna pull the engine so pistons, rods, rings, and bearings will probably be saved. The whole master kit was only $160. Pistons are $15 a piece if you can find them. I might just put them up for when someone needs it.
My whole order with carb conversion was just over $600. Carb conversion was $320. Just want her back on the road so I can start on brakes and suspension

HondaJax 01-02-2019 05:31 PM

I deleted FB and lost my acct.
I see you suggest a D series for the 1980 but on Dax thread you say B series is more bang for your buck. Any reason other than the D fits with less frame/mount mods in our cars?
Going to attempt to post some pics. All my parts came in.

dilbeckskate 01-02-2019 05:37 PM

D series fits easier and is cheaper is about it

HondaJax 01-02-2019 06:36 PM

Honderachinaldo 01-02-2019 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by dilbeckskate (Post 51820346)
D series fits easier and is cheaper is about it

Yeah, a properly sorted D would exceed most realistic power requirements in that chassis for the price of a bucket of lard, at least after minor swap issues are resolved.