Notices
AWD Conversion Forum This forum is to help with the recent advent of new AWD conversions. Got a question? Ask it here. Got an answer? Drop the knowledge here

K7-1Ktrevor's AWD CRX build, 500whp or bust

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Re: K7-1Ktrevor's AWD CRX build, 500whp or bust

I'll post some more once it's cleaned up a little. It's uglier then I'd like underneath the car still, just haven't gotten to that point yet.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Motor is in, just need a few last parts, ngk plug wires, lower radiator hose and a connector for the vtec solenoid to wire it in. Also found out my jdm itr brake master cylinder I got off eBay was bad, going to see if I can find a rebuild kit from Honda for a 1" master cylinder for it. I also found something pretty cool I never knew about, the two plastic pieces that the crx bumper screws into from the back side have two holes you can thread in screws into to pull the bumper back. Works out great to adjust it because it always had some funky gaps that drove me nuts. I had to move the radiator over about 2" towards the passenger side since the vtec head moved my turbo manifold forward about .75" and the clearance was already super tight as is between the compressor housing and the radiator end tanks. Everything fits much better now which makes me super happy.

Still have ave a few finishing touches and I'm being as patient as I can so nothing is rushed.

​​​​​​​
Old 01-19-2019, 12:40 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Looking good!
Old 01-20-2019, 12:48 PM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where did you get that carbon distributor cover?
Old 01-20-2019, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pw jdm. I had actually never seen one till I saw a pic of one online and found it after searching a little. I was really surprised in my 10 years of honda'ing that I hadn't seen one.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I absolutely love this thing! Your black red makes me really want to go out and get one.

I got the bits to do my EK, but being in the UK it's essentially impossible to get wagon parts so I'm using a CRV that I stripped.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks allot man. I'm really happy with how it's coming along. Can't wait to drive it again.

So at the moment I'm just waiting on parts, mostly a 1" master cylinder so I can take the new plunger and seals out of it to rebuild my jdm itr master in the car. Today was fairly warm and sunny so I gave the car a bath and clay barred the paint to pull contaminants out of it. It had a little bit of overspray from painting my satin black crx. I was also able to swing by ef parts and pick up a few rear interior pieces I needed to complete the car. I'm very happy with how the rear interior came out. It looks really clean with the roll bar and hides the fuel cell which is great. Just got my oem Honda valve cover gasket set today so I'll get that all bolted on and probably start the motor up briefly without coolant and check it over for leaks.
​​​​​​​

Old 01-24-2019, 06:27 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor
Today was fairly warm and sunny
I've been in the frozen mid-west all week for work. First time experiencing true negative temperatures. Paint and interior is looking good on your project...you've got to be getting stoked.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The last few weeks here in Oregon have been mid to low 40's but windy and rainy almost everyday. We have about a week and a half scheduled of sunshine and I'm extatic about it. I really hate that super cold weather it's a big buzz kill when your trying to get car work done. And yes I'm very excited for it but I'm trying to take my time and just enjoy the build process. I wanna make sure it's put together well, double checked and ready to go once it's ready.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:46 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Car is coming together nicely, looks awesome! What front lip is that?
Old 01-25-2019, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Front lip was a spoon lip off eBay. It was like $140 shipped if I remember right. Its fiberglass so it holds shape perfect, I really like it.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Finally got the brakes working on the car again. I purchased a 1" master cylinder for a 98-01 gsr to use for parts to rebuild my itr 1" master. The gsr master has the rear port on the side closer to the intake manifold so it wouldn't work with my engine bay. After I pulled my itr master off I found that the rear plunger was stuck in it about half way pushed in. This is why the brake pedal did nothing after hours of time spent bleeding the brakes. I used some compressed air to push it back along with tapping the whole master on a rubber mat in my garage. Once I got it freed up I disassembled the new master and found that the rear piston wouldn't work in the itr master. Luckily I was able to clean up the bore, use the new front piston and itr rear piston and assemble it back together in working condition. The brakes on this car haven't worked since I swapped on the junk master I bought on eBay about 4 months ago when I parked it for the build. Feeling a solid pedal was such a nice feeling today. I've always hated brake assembly's but after beating my head on this I realized they really aren't that bad. Just gotta use your eyes and have attention to detail like everything else. Just waiting on a lower radiator hose to come then I can fill the coolant system and start tuning it. I fired the motor up for the first time today and it runs, sounds a bit retarded so I'll have to double check timing with a timing light and if it's far off I'll have to move the cam gears around some till it runs right. No leaks so far too which is awesome. Also installed a turbo blanket I got on eBay for 19 bucks and it fits and looks awesome.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

super clean build. keep up the good work
Old 01-27-2019, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man. I did a little rust repair on the car. I had previously put touch up paint over some of the rust spots with just a little sanding but after the last year I've noticed the rust was growing so today I bought some permatex rust converter and was really surprised and how great that stuff works. I wire wheeled the rust spots and did a few treatments of it then cleaned off with a soapy rag. The worst spot was this rear quarter panel in the edge. So bad it has some small holes starting to form. After I used the rust converter I just applied a little bondo and sanded it smooth. I masked off just the problem area and used a premixed fan of polar white to touch it up and a few coats of rustoleum clear on top of that. It turned out pretty great for a quick fix. Once the paint cures I'm gonna use some abrasive cleaner wax to blend it in a little better. I also treated a few spots underneath the car from welding in the roll bar and the vc mounts then coated everything with a black undercoating. It looks much better and should last allot longer then it being left untreated.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The radiator hose finally came in so I was able to drive the car for the first time in months. I did my first oil change on this motor after about 40 minutes of run time total. Crazy how nasty it gets so quickly. Filled it back up with Valvoline vr1. All went well on the test drive. No leaks, vtec works but definitely needs to be tuned. I do need to buy a better radiator fan however the one on the car is just a cheap eBay slim fan and it gets up to about 202 at red lights. I really love how much nicer the car feels with interior and the higher ride height. I put allot of preload on the springs to help with how soft they are and it did the trick. Hopefully I'll have time to tune it this week and have a buddy drive it for me. Also it feels like the turbo spools up much quicker with this vtec head vs the crower 404s on the p75 head.

​​​​​​
Old 01-29-2019, 02:45 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

It came back together quick....nice job!
Old 01-29-2019, 04:46 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

You running a pusher or puller fan?

I've got an extra SPAL pusher, the 12" high flow one that draws like 25 amps. Lemme know if interested.

edit: just saw your puller. Either way the SPAL would be an upgrade.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How much do you want for the spal fan?
Old 01-29-2019, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Spent a little time tuning the crx today. Runs super smooth at almost all afrs, before with the cammed b20 it would lean misfire at just about anything over mid 13's. Unfortunately I'm almost positive the aem 400lph fuel pump I'm running is a piece of **** because I'm running out of fuel at only the wastegate pressure of 12lbs which is creeping up to 13psi or so up top. The top end feels great with the portwork, crower stage 3 cams and victor x manifold. I don't think it will be much of an effort for this engine to make power. Ordered a bosch 044 300lph fuel pump to replace the aem fuel pump I'm currently running (it makes some really obnoxious noise currently and after reading some reviews on jegs it sounds like everyone else who ordered one on that site had the same issue.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks great man! I love all the little EF touches like the 4WD on the flaps, and doors.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man! The car has definitely been turning some heads lately. I actually got the rt mud flaps and decals from ef parts. I'm gonna swing by his shop tomorrow and say what's up.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Swung by ef parts today for a few little things for the crx. Picked up a new ignition switch as this one sometimes shuts off right after firing it up. Also picked up a dimmer switch because my gauge cluster lights went out but now I'm thinking its something in the cluster or connections at it. Also got some rt4wd rear disc conversion brakets and eg si rear disc calipers. Just need to order rotors and pads.

Last edited by K7-1Ktrevor; 01-31-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got a hks air filter fitted to the turbo. Pretty tight fit but I'm happy to have an air cleaner on the motor. Gonna do the second oil change tomorrow with new oem Honda filter and valvoline vr1 again.

rear disc brake conversion brakes for rt4wd trailing arms. Thanks ef parts!
Old 02-05-2019, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got my spal fan today from 2x0 and it definitely did the trick. It's amazing how little air the eBay slim fan moved vs the spal. I wired it up with a sealed 40amp relay and set it to stay on till 60mph. I had been noticing that the car would gradually heat up unless I wound it out a little and got it up and moving. I think the intercooler is a big part of the restriction to airflow to the radiator but this fan definitely solved it.

I also found where my restriction in my fuel setup was, the gravity feed to the pump had a very very small hole for the an fitting, I drilled it out and also checked the fuel filter which appeared to have some sand or rust of some sort in it, it's a plastic fuel cell so I cleaned it out and rinsed it a few times. I thought I got it all dry and reinstalled it but right as I got to the gas station the car started running funky, wideband was reading very lean and it ended up having some water mixed in with the fuel. I had to park it at the gas station and walk home in the snow to get my trusty Honda Insight and some jumper cables. I drained about a gallon out of it and it ran fine on the way home till I pulled in the driveway. I drained the rest of the fuel out and through all new gas in it and it seems happy now, just waiting on some dry weather to go tune it.

I really hope this solves my fuel pressure drop issue I've been fighting with the car since i built it. Right now it was on 14lbs and feels awesome. I'll have to take some videos once I get it dialed in.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:09 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Glad the fan did the trick They do move A LOT of air. I battled with the same issue last summer, air flow blockage by intercooler made it pretty tough to keep the temp from creeping up, even at speed.

Quick Reply: K7-1Ktrevor's AWD CRX build, 500whp or bust