Notices
AWD Conversion Forum This forum is to help with the recent advent of new AWD conversions. Got a question? Ask it here. Got an answer? Drop the knowledge here

K7-1Ktrevor's AWD CRX build, 500whp or bust

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 01:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Default K7-1Ktrevor's AWD CRX build, 500whp or bust

This was the car the night I brought it home, both door windows were busted out, cracked windshield, some junk sohc that was "awd converted" and it was about 1/2 way done.

You can see the gangster lean on the motor and tranny because the rt4wd tranny mount was just bolted up like it would work in a crx. Motor was d15b2 I sold later for $50.

Starting to get her her cleaned up

Had to clean up this rats nest of wiring.

Representing pnw

Cleaner cleaner cleaner. Dollar tree carpet cleaner and a harbor freight steam cleaner doing work on this ol girl.

Check out the black 90 si in the background, bought it because it had a roll bar, sold everything else off it and ended up a few hundred bucks plus a free roll bar for my car.

Building the driveshaft/ viscous coupler mounts

Dyno day, 332/257 on 15lbs. Fat torque curve. Needs more powa!!

This is my first return to hondas for my personal use since 2012 when I did the "simplified awd eg" build. Once again with a thirst for a fast street car. I picked up this rachety little crx last December and had it on the road by march just getting it together in a somewhat orderly fashion. It started out life as a 1990 crx dx automatic. It now sits with a stock bottom end turbo b20 in it making 332/257 on 15lbs with a eBay 35r. This winter the car will be coming back apart for a new built bottom end, a few odds and ends tidy'd up, big brakes and hopefully another 150whp at least.

The current setup is:
99 b20 high comp, 238k miles on it originally but freshened up by Antonio orozco aka Tony's garage with new rings, bearings, arp rod bolts, head studs, new pumps seals and gaskets.

The top end is a p75 head that I have about 30 hours of portwork into, crowed 404 cams, B16 intake manifold cut open and ported, id1000s fueled by a aem 400lph fuel pump. speedfactory mini ram and the wonderful $225 eBay 35r.

The biggest issue I'm trying to resolve as I gear up for my build is figuring out how to make this crv transmission do what I want it to do. The car currently sits on 195/50/15 tires and with the transmissions final drive of 4.652 and a rev limiter of 8k im limited to 108 mph in 4th gear at rev limit. I have been doing calculations but even if I run a large tire like a 205/60/15 it still doesn't look all that great for my trap speed in 4th unless I can rev it out to 9k.

If anyone has changed out the final drive in the crv transmission or has any insight or info on it please chime in.

Last edited by K7-1Ktrevor; 09-25-2018 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Moar pics/ new title
The following users liked this post:
Old 08-22-2018, 04:21 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Re: About 200whp shy of a 10 second street car

Nice build, but scrolling thru those pics... they jump all over the damn place. It's like watching Mulholland Drive.

Should put them in chronological order with captions or something.

Not sure about the CRV tranny gearing, but maybe just swap it out with a GSR? Unless just the final drive can be swapped out.

I once rocked the same speed holes in the front bumper for a few days but then I just cut out the whole thing instead.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hell yeah Trev back on ht! Nice looking build, definitely needs more power tho haha. I’m interested in more info on how you setup the awd system this time. I’ve been considering jumping into an awd build again. Didn’t realize the final drive was so low on the crv transmissions. Shifting to 5th in the 1/4 sucks.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:20 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Wait..... It's AWD????

​​​​​​​

Need more details on this!
Old 08-23-2018, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x0
Wait..... It's AWD????

​​​​​​​

Need more details on this!
I don't think so, I think he said his last EG build was an AWD setup.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:50 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC
I don't think so, I think he said his last EG build was an AWD setup.

Ahhhh. My bad.

Gotta go let my shorts dry now...
Old 08-23-2018, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol it’s awd. You can see the rear diff in one of the pics.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr
Lol it’s awd. You can see the rear diff in one of the pics.
Looks like it, in one of the engine bay pictures with no engine you see the driveshaft chilling there. Pretty sweet, my plan is AWD when the right parts are available for the b-series setup.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That would explain why he wants to keep the CRV Trans
Old 08-23-2018, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

The pictures are kinda confusing, but an awd crx is super interesting! Can't wait to see more of this car!
Old 08-23-2018, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Some good info on changing the final drive gear ratio in this thread..

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...3249871/page2/
Old 08-23-2018, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hell yeah Trev back on ht! Nice looking build, definitely needs more power tho haha. I’m interested in more info on how you setup the awd system this time. I’ve been considering jumping into an awd build again. Didn’t realize the final drive was so low on the crv transmissions. Shifting to 5th in the 1/4 sucks.

let me know what you need to know and i can help you out. This current setup is a crv trans, rt4wd driveshaft, rear diff and axles along with cut and spliced rt4wd/crx training arms. I'm gonna be fabbing up a big brake setup on all 4 corners this winter, rod and piston motor with probably block filler also and shooting for 450whp if I can make it non vtec still, if not I'll pick up a B16 head and work it over to get there. The super short final drive seems to be the biggest hurdle right now and I've also read these Tranny's have a weak second gear so I need to find a way to remedy that. I already messed up my second gear at pir trying to force it in when it didn't wanna go lol. I have a spare rebuildable trans sitting around with a blown 3rd gear I was told as well as a whole spare diff, driveshaft and axles. I shortened the driveshaft my self and welded on the crv style flange in place of the rt flange. The b and k series Tranny's use the same flange just FYI.

Heres res a quick video I just took of the car. Feel free to ask about any thing on it

There's a few more videos on my YouTube channel "T-Rrev Motorsports"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=29DQYAJP-7g&feature=youtu.be
Old 08-23-2018, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor

let me know what you need to know and i can help you out. This current setup is a crv trans, rt4wd driveshaft, rear diff and axles along with cut and spliced rt4wd/crx training arms. I'm gonna be fabbing up a big brake setup on all 4 corners this winter, rod and piston motor with probably block filler also and shooting for 450whp if I can make it non vtec still, if not I'll pick up a B16 head and work it over to get there. The super short final drive seems to be the biggest hurdle right now and I've also read these Tranny's have a weak second gear so I need to find a way to remedy that. I already messed up my second gear at pir trying to force it in when it didn't wanna go lol. I have a spare rebuildable trans sitting around with a blown 3rd gear I was told as well as a whole spare diff, driveshaft and axles. I shortened the driveshaft my self and welded on the crv style flange in place of the rt flange. The b and k series Tranny's use the same flange just FYI.

Heres res a quick video I just took of the car. Feel free to ask about any thing on it

There's a few more videos on my YouTube channel "T-Rrev Motorsports"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=29DQYA...ature=youtu.be
How is your viscous coupling holding up? Seems like the biggest pain in the *** for these awd conversions is tracking down all the old oem honda 4wd stuff. I just saw on the awd honda fb page that Benjamin is making custom pilot bushings for the H series input shaft to fit a B series flywheel. This way I guess you could technically run H series internals in an awd crv trans. Looks pretty promising to me. Benjamin actually has a built thread on here with his 600whp awd integra, it’s a non-vtec b series too. He also rebuilts viscous couplings as well. The more research I do the more it makes me want to take the dive in the awd conversion. I’m making about 500whp with my current car on e85 and traction is definitely a never ending issue even with 235/50r15 R888s.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So far so good, I don't have many miles on the car maybe 700 or so this year but I was very surprised with how quick it locks into 4wd with the viscous. Is his Teg the silver one? I believe I've seen it before. H internals sounds really nice inside this crv tranny id love to be able to change to a 4.26 fd in this trans it would solve allot of my low revving problems.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Nice video! You've done some solid work!
Old 08-24-2018, 02:42 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

How much custom fab work is required getting the RT4WD rear end components fitted onto the car?
Old 08-24-2018, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor
So far so good, I don't have many miles on the car maybe 700 or so this year but I was very surprised with how quick it locks into 4wd with the viscous. Is his Teg the silver one? I believe I've seen it before. H internals sounds really nice inside this crv tranny id love to be able to change to a 4.26 fd in this trans it would solve allot of my low revving problems.
Here is a link to his build thread. He didn’t start the awd conversion until later on in the thread. He used a crv rear end and removed the pump and welded the clutch pack essentially makings it solid like a wago rear diff. Yeah the H series internals in the crv awd trans looks promising for sure.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced...234079/page10/
Old 08-24-2018, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is a link to his build thread. He didn’t start the awd conversion until later on in the thread. He used a crv rear end and removed the pump and welded the clutch pack essentially makings it solid like a wago rear diff. Yeah the H series internals in the crv awd trans looks promising for sure.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced...234079/page10/
From what I've heard they are people that are already fitting B-series PPG gearsets into the CRV transmission with some modifications. I've heard of some throwing the idea around about billet cases and transfer cases. I've heard from a little bird that Hasport is going to be getting mounts made for the swap and honestly the drive shaft and axles can be made by anyone or if you have some cash DSS can build custom stuff.

AWD is really starting to catch on now, not that people haven't been doing it for years but it is becoming mainstream.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How does changing the final drive in the trans affect the gearing in the rear diff?
Old 08-24-2018, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly building the tranny mount was super easy and took me about 25 min to do building a jig using a hydro gsr trans and hydro ef mount out of the car then bolted the jig onto the crv tranny to locate the mount placement on the crv trans.

On a side note I got a buddy building an awd turbo k series ek, rhd also. He said the k tranny mount bolts right onto the awd mount and only the rear t bracket needs to be customized. I showed him how to build a jig for the rear trailing arms and he fabbed it all up with 5 lug and rear discs. I'll be posting some videos of that car on my YouTube after I tune it. Still finishing up charge pipes and a few odds and ends then he needs to paint the shell but I'm pretty sure I'll be tuning it before paint.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Went to the the dark side today. Picked up a B16 head for $100. Gonna be selling my ported p75 head and cams and going with skunk2 tuner 2 cams and some suitable springs in this head. It will help solve one of my dilemmas about the low trap speed limited by gearing/ rpm. Looking for either a victor x or skunk2 intake manifold also if anyone knows of any for sell for a good deal let me know.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Awd-turbo-CRX is best of ALL worlds...
-Weight
-Power
-Traction
-Legendary 5.85 CdA (Well that rear wing hurts drag a little bit)

We need a bolt on AWD kit or individual parts for ages. Someone has to do it. The best would be awd ready rear trailing arms
The only thing thats kinda promising is the billet bolt on crv mounts from https://automotiveknd.com
Their full kit is too expensive IMO.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got some goodies in the mail today. Going to tear the motor apart early next week and sell the non v head, cams and intake manifold and I'm going to order some carbide tools for starting on the portwork on the b16 head. Still need to order rods and rod bearings for it. My buddy who does all the engine building around these parts says to go with the skunk2 alpha rods as the last engine he put together had them and they looked like over kill, that motor ended up making 603whp in a Em1.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I’m interested to see how well that moroso block filler turns out vs the devcon stuff. I’ve kicked around the idea of trying a filled block too. I feel like my stock sleeves would give up before my trusty nippon pistons haha. I’ve heard good things about the skunk2 alpha rods too. Curious why you went with skunk2 tuner 2 cams? You plan on switching to e85 when you start making real power?
Old 08-30-2018, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I really like how nasty vtec is with the tuner series cams, also my buddy that does the short block assemblys around here has had a rod and piston b20v that I tuned over 3 years ago on 11.6lbs with skunk2 tuner 2s making 368whp (bbg solenoid wasn't working and we never got around to turning it up lol) motor still runs like it did the day I tuned it. I have been noticing the turbo cars I tune with bigger cams can take allot more ignition timing and are less knock limited, one example was a 2.0l turbo gsr on tuner 2s that on 20lbs I ended up with 26 degrees of timing, I was blown away by that setup, I could have put it on close to 30lbs on pump gas and that motor would have been happy. I really wanna make at least 450 to all 4 tires by next spring in this car on pump gas and I think that will be very achievable on the right setup.

On a side note I got some new jack stands today in the mail so the crx is getting torn down for build 2. Kind of bitter sweet, I was getting ready to take the head off and I'm gonna miss this little non vtec setup for sure. The head was so pretty and I did have allot of time into it, unfortunately when I first built the car 350whp was still cool, now if your not making 400+ your ***** weak lol. I've been tuning a ton of really nasty cars this year so I gotta jump on the band wagon too.

Quick Reply: K7-1Ktrevor's AWD CRX build, 500whp or bust