Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Viper 5002 - protect internal piezo’s??

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon6 Viper 5002 - protect internal piezo’s??

1998 Honda Civic EX Sedan 5-Speed
Viper 5002 alarm system

Relay for 3 sirens (30 amp SPDT)
- 86 (H1/3) brown
- 30 main siren and 2 mini piezo’s
- 85 ground
- 87 constant 12V

With the above setup, can I protect the internal siren's if the one under hood is cut and shorted? If so, please explain how. Please keep in mind I'm a novice.

Thanks in advance.
Joseph
Old 10-19-2009, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Viper 5002 - protect internal piezo’s??

First you should not have the siren under the hood were it can be tampered with. If its going under the hood it should be were a theif can not get to it or tamper with any wires to it. Under the battery tray is a good spot. 3 sirens is really to much IMO. Thats putting alot of strain on the dei 520t back up battery that you should have. Never mind I see that you have a relay. Use the relay to power any siren that can be tampered with. It will be isolated from the alarm by the relay.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: Viper 5002 - protect internal piezo’s??

Originally Posted by wrx-killer-Sti-eater
First you should not have the siren under the hood were it can be tampered with. If its going under the hood it should be were a theif can not get to it or tamper with any wires to it. Under the battery tray is a good spot. 3 sirens is really to much IMO. Thats putting alot of strain on the dei 520t back up battery that you should have. Never mind I see that you have a relay. Use the relay to power any siren that can be tampered with. It will be isolated from the alarm by the relay.
Hello,
Does the relay wiring setup look right to you?
I'm just going to use the main siren under the battery tray as you recommended, and have a piezo inside. Both on the relay is OK?

Relay question:
Only a 5 amp fuse in line with the +12V constant wire needed?
Should the fuse go closer to the relay, or the +12V constant power source?

Thank you for helping me.
-Joseph

Last edited by Karado58; 10-19-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton

Use a 10 amp on the 12volt feed to the relay. Other then that you are set to go. I don't really see the need for a relay if you are doing a stealth install. I have ran 1 dei main siren and 2 dei mini sirens before off the dei520t back up battery. I would rather see you swap out the dei 520t back up battery and install a bigger battery to it and use the relay to control the parking lights so if a theif unplugs the battery. The parking lights will not drain the battery when unpluged and the alarm going off.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So the 10 amp fuse can be placed anywhere between the 12volt feed and the relay?

"...relay to control the parking lights..."
Would you mind please explaining how I would wire the relay, and the type to use?

Thanks again for your help!!!
Old 10-25-2009, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Take your brown wire where it splits to both sirens. Use a 1 amp fuse on the side going to the under-hood siren. If they ground the under-hood siren's power wire, it will blow that fuse. But the connection before the split on the brown wire to your piezo remains unaffected.

Battery backup sirens are a waste. I never use them. Also they are quite annoying. Get a battery backup module instead.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by suspendedHatch
Take your brown wire where it splits to both sirens. Use a 1 amp fuse on the side going to the under-hood siren. If they ground the under-hood siren's power wire, it will blow that fuse. But the connection before the split on the brown wire to your piezo remains unaffected.

Battery backup sirens are a waste. I never use them. Also they are quite annoying. Get a battery backup module instead.
I do have a battery backup module.
520T Battery Backup Module
RED - (15A fuse 12” from power source) to 12V Constant [18 gauge wire]
GRAY (+) 12V Output - to Viper + 12V Constant
BLACK - GROUND to Chassis
BLUE (-) Output to Control Module - to H1/7 BLUE (-) Instant Trigger Input (trunk input/shunt), Zone 1 ??

Relay for 3 sirens (30 amp SPDT)
- 86 to H1/3 brown
- 30 to main siren and 2 mini piezo
- 85 to ground
- 87 to 520T GRAY

When I use a Relay, do I still need to fuse the under hood siren?

So you're saying I should bypass the relay?

Thank You suspendedHatch!

Last edited by Karado58; 10-25-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes you can use the blue trunk input on the alarm for the blue 520T trigger. Just be warned that this will cause your paging remote to report the trunk when the 520T is triggered. Also, you'll have to diode-isolate the triggers.

I can't remember whether the 5002 has a hood pin input. I don't install these daily anymore (going to school for graphic arts now). I know DEI foolishly removed the hood pin input from their non Remote Start alarms at some point. But if your alarm does in fact have the 22 gauge gray hood pin input, you can use that for your 520T blue wire. It's more logical that your remote should report the hood open when the 520T triggers, and you wont have to diode isolate it.

With your relay, you'll want to have the fuse between the 30 and the under-hood siren; preferably close to the relay.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1. Just read that I can't have any accessories or relays on the 520T GRAY (+) 12V output...it has just enough current to power the control module only.
- So I can connect the 3 siren relay to the battery 12V Constant...OR, do only a 2 siren, NO RELAY, from Viper (+) BROWN Siren Output, split wires, and place a 1A fuse on the one under hood to protect from grounding. Ideas here??

Yes, the Viper 5002 has H2/2 GRAY, but it does not say "instant trigger input" in manual. Should i still connect 520T BLUE to it? Please keep in mind that I will have a hood pin also! Do I need to isolate the wire to the hood pin, and the wire to H2/2 GREY?

Thanks for your help.

Yes you can use the blue trunk input on the alarm for the blue 520T trigger. Just be warned that this will cause your paging remote to report the trunk when the 520T is triggered. Also, you'll have to diode-isolate the triggers.

I can't remember whether the 5002 has a hood pin input. I don't install these daily anymore (going to school for graphic arts now). I know DEI foolishly removed the hood pin input from their non Remote Start alarms at some point. But if your alarm does in fact have the 22 gauge gray hood pin input, you can use that for your 520T blue wire. It's more logical that your remote should report the hood open when the 520T triggers, and you wont have to diode isolate it.

With your relay, you'll want to have the fuse between the 30 and the under-hood siren; preferably close to the relay.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The instructions say not to put anything on the backup battery besides the alarm brain, but you can. The sirens and brain will run for hours and hours off the backup battery. If that's not enough for you, you can get a battery from a home security system and use it with the 520T module. But I see no reason for that.

If you're going to store the car that long, get a smart battery tender from summit and run an extension cord from your house. Keep the plug end under the hood and out of reach. If they cut the cord, hopefully they'll get a good shock. But it will blow a circuit breaker so someone will notice within the 3 months or so it will take for your car battery and backup battery to drain down.

Either of those siren setups are fine. 3 sirens is one too many IMO.

As I said, no need to diode isolate the hood pin from the 520T trigger. The reason you would have to isolate it from the trunk trigger if you use the blue wire is so that the 520T doesn't light up your cluster trunk open warning light.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would use the horn instead 2 piezo sirens
pretty loud.....
Old 10-27-2009, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OK...
Please help clarify?

520T BLUE tap H1/7 BLUE (-) Instant Trigger Input (trunk input/shunt), Zone 1

1. Do I have to isolate 520T BLUE and Trunk BLUE/BLACK?
OR
2. Just tap the 520T BLUE to Viper H1/7 BLUE going to Trunk? NO isolate needed?

ONE*SICK*FERIO:
If I was to use the Horn instead of the Piezos...is this the only wiring needed?

1. H2/7 LIGHT BROWN (-) Horn Honk Output to BLUE/GRAY (steering column)?

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ONE*SICK*FERIO
i would use the horn instead 2 piezo sirens
pretty loud.....
Unfortunately the horn can be easily disconnected from under the front bumper or from the steering column. It's nearly worthless to use. And people in the neighborhood will definitely ignore it. Up until they call the sheriff and have it towed for violating a noise ordinance (a problem should it ever false alarm). Too many crappy factory alarms use the horn. Requires a relay btw.

I think I've said this twice in this thread and I know it's on my site but yes, if you are going to use the trunk trigger on the alarm against my advice, then you need to diode isolate them. Requires two diodes. 1 or 3 amp work well.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Karado58
OK...
Please help clarify?

ONE*SICK*FERIO:
If I was to use the Horn instead of the Piezos...is this the only wiring needed?

1. H2/7 LIGHT BROWN (-) Horn Honk Output to BLUE/GRAY (steering column)?

Thanks.
YOU NEED A RELAY FIRST
go to the junk yard get a one wire horn and place it on a very hard to find in your car
make sure the mounting bracket is tight since it will be your ground....

85... .LIGHT BROWN (-) Horn Honk Output
86-30.....12v from battery
87........12v to horn
Old 10-29-2009, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Unfortunately the horn can be easily disconnected from under the front bumper or from the steering column. It's nearly worthless to use. And people in the neighborhood will definitely ignore it. Up until they call the sheriff and have it towed for violating a noise ordinance (a problem should it ever false alarm). Too many crappy factory alarms use the horn. Requires a relay btw.

I think I've said this twice in this thread and I know it's on my site but yes, if you are going to use the trunk trigger on the alarm against my advice, then you need to diode isolate them. Requires two diodes. 1 or 3 amp work well.
Sorry suspendedHatch, to make you repeat things twice.
I got it now.
I will tap Viper H2/2 GREY (-) Hood Pin Input, Zone 6 with the 520T BLUE trigger. (no diode needed)
Old 10-29-2009, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Heh I kind of like them, while I agree you definitely need battery(s) for the rest of the system as well, it certainly is not a replacement, it's just another layer.

Also the battery sirens are not too annoying to the owner under the hood, you disconnect the battery just know you have to have your key to turn off the siren. I look at it as another annoyance that the thief may spend another couple precious minutes trying to disable while it attracts attention...
Old 10-29-2009, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

run the main siren straight off the brown siren output wire. then program the horn output wire to constant and use it to trigger a relay to run all the extra sirens you want. power the relay off of 12v before the backup battery. then if you lose main power the backup only feeds the main siren not all the add ons. also make sure your using neg. park light output and a relay as the backup isnt supposed to flash the lights either. you can pm me any questions back on carolina hondas. (5thgensi)
Old 10-29-2009, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JSPECSIR
run the main siren straight off the brown siren output wire. then program the horn output wire to constant and use it to trigger a relay to run all the extra sirens you want. power the relay off of 12v before the backup battery. then if you lose main power the backup only feeds the main siren not all the add ons. also make sure your using neg. park light output and a relay as the backup isnt supposed to flash the lights either. you can pm me any questions back on carolina hondas. (5thgensi)
I hope we see you around here more often.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ why's that?