Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Ultra Start Alarm help please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Start Alarm help please!

I have an Ultra Start 4500m alarm/remote starter. I like the alarm and haven't had any real problems with it other then one annoyance. In order to activate the remote start function you have to leave the car running hit the brake twice, exit the car, do the hoke poke and once you turn yourself around, arm the alarm, then and only then will the remote start work. Maybe
My question is am I better off **** canning the unit and getting something else that's made for an auto so I don't have to go thro this **** or can I mod this so it will act like an auto and I don't have to go thro this ****?

I have a safety switch idea I can set up on the shifter so the car will only work in the neutral position so it wont be unsafe.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:38 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Ultra Start Alarm help please! (nocturnaldragon)

If your car is a standard, keep what you have, better to do the hooky poky every time then have the switch fail once, [and of coarse it will fail that one time that the car is left in gear] also if it did fail and you started the car, what will your insurance adjuster say, tell you to go do the hooky poky? 94
Old 11-02-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Ultra Start Alarm help please! (fcm)

Half the time I miss a step and forget to turn myself around so it never works. Besides even if I do it whats to say the unit dosent start on its own or get left in gear when doing the whole dance?

My methode would be to add a mercury switch that unless its left in netural would make contact and send a ground or whatever to the hood pin wire telling the unit not to work.

Ive given this enough thought and know its worth the risk, besides my insurance company is a bunch of dicks no matter what I do so it wouldent matter.

Besides I have NEVER left the car in gear the entire 3 yrs I've owned it, never will its just a habit Im not in and will never do.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:14 AM
fcm
Old Fart

First.... there is no way you can leave it in gear, "when doing the whole dance" you could not get out of the car while it's running, if it was in gear.

How exactly would you mount that "mercury switch" so that no matter how steep the hill is or what angle the car is parked on, so the "M/S" is affective, [both for being able to start and/or preventing starting]?

LOL.... I have never left my 94 LS in gear or forgot to set the "E" brake on it, [got it brand new end of 93] a habit my dad pounded into me, [except those times that I forgot, or someone else forgot, [I also never ever lend my car to anyone, except when I forget]

You can justify anyway you want, but "if something can go wrong it will"

Look at it this way, you did all the right things, out of gear, "E" brake on, but your GF forgot her purse, and without you knowing went to the car and got it, knocking it into gear, and you who, may be perfect, hits the remote start, and the GF, or lets say your kid sister and her best friend are playing in front of the car, [you don't even see them] the "mercury switch" fails, how do you explain that , much live with it, just because you though the remote starts fail-safe was a pain, and you forget a step every now and then.

Sorry pal, I can see no justification to not use any failsafe available, just my opinion. 94
Old 11-03-2005, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Ultra Start Alarm help please! (fcm)

the unit is just as likely to fail as my mercury switch. I see your point but Im dismissing it, I just don't care, I am not going to go thro that crap anymore. Sure its a risk but one I am willing to take. Ideally tho I would like to have some sort of (Insert whatever its called here) switch. How it works is basically like the safety switches on your garage door, something blocks the path it wont shut. Same Idea the shifter isent left in the neutral position aka the home position as I call it the unit wont arm, if its in ANY gear its out of home row tripping the switch and the alarm wont start.

Trust me when I say I will make this perfectly safe, and as for the hill concern I live in Wisconsin there are NO HILLS here its one big and basically flat state, also very boring.

I appreciate the criticism tho, I will have to look more into the photo cell type switch over the mercury one.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:01 AM

Ok since no one seems to have the info I need, Im looking at new alarms. I found this one on ebay but I know its an off name brand, does anyone know of a name brand company that carries this one with the same features?

The features I want the most are the 2-way remote, and the owner reconition would be nice, the 1mile+ range is a must tho.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...%3AIT
Old 11-07-2005, 12:11 PM
fcm
Old Fart

How about Compustar, http://www.compustar.com/secur...t.htm

As for the info you are looking for, if your "Ultra start" can't be programed for an auto trans, then no matter what you do you will still have to go through the "ready mode" steps, and as the model number 4500M indicates, http://www.ultrastarters.com/m...l.pdf show a 4500 and a 4500M. 94