Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Two car batteries or one cap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Two car batteries or one cap?

Originally Posted by HksHaitian
Alright. I plan on using Soundstream Tx1.2000d for the bass amp, Soundstream Tx4.560 for my highs, MB Quarts 6.5 components front and rear speakers, Dual optima yellow tops, ohio gen 200 amp altenator. When i spoke to the guy from ohio gen. he said i would be fine running the dual batteries, doing the big 3, and the h/o altenator with no caps or isolators. Sounds good coming from a professional, what are your guys thoughts? Also im fond of kickers subs, is running kicker solobaric sl'7s better then alpine type-r or type-x's or are is there better out there.
that set-up for your electrical is something i would recommend, so that should do the job just right.. when you come across hooking your extra battery up, i would say wire it parallel.. no batt iso needed... as far as your set up, L7s are pretty good, i've always heard that square subs push alot more air that circle, but anywho.. it all depends on the type of bass you're looking for.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks alot guys
Old 05-27-2010, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wrx-killer-Sti-eater
cough cough bs cough cough. There is no way in hell you have 4k watts or close to it on a 120 amp alternator. It would take atleast 277 amps to provide the amps with enough current to produce there output of 4k. Your sound sytem does not beat ohms law. What you have is a big amp playing at half power.

Op, fcm and nsxxtreme have given you sound advice, please list everything you plan on using. The soundstream amps that your talking about are power hungry. I know. I am a soundstreme dealer.

A well planed system will out play and out sub a car with big amps and big subs that do not match the cars electrical system.
Originally Posted by clip8907
that set-up for your electrical is something i would recommend, so that should do the job just right.. when you come across hooking your extra battery up, i would say wire it parallel.. no batt iso needed... as far as your set up, L7s are pretty good, i've always heard that square subs push alot more air that circle, but anywho.. it all depends on the type of bass you're looking for.
dammm noobs. Op I'll send you a link to some real good info, Fcm and nsxxtreme are your friends.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cough cough bs cough cough. There is no way in hell you have 4k watts or close to it on a 120 amp alternator. It would take atleast 277 amps to provide the amps with enough current to produce there output of 4k. Your sound sytem does not beat ohms law. What you have is a big amp playing at half power.

It all depends on how well you monitor what's goin' on with your electrical system.

My alt can only output so much current so when it maxes out, the rest comes from the batteries.

I never listen to it loud for no more than a few seconds because it's unbearable. so i'm good...

OP, do the big 3 and get a better upfront battery.

If you still get dimming and voltage drops, THEN add another battery. Don't spend 400-500 on a h/o alt when you may not need it.

Instead, spend that money on more efficient amps.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE/]
It all depends on how well you monitor what's goin' on with your electrical system.

My alt can only output so much current so when it maxes out, the rest comes from the batteries.

I never listen to it loud for no more than a few seconds because it's unbearable. so i'm good...

OP, do the big 3 and get a better upfront battery.

If you still get dimming and voltage drops, THEN add another battery. Don't spend 400-500 on a h/o alt when you may not need it.

Instead, spend that money on more efficient amps.[/QUOTE]

I think the amps i choose to go with are very efficient but im still gonna go with the big 3, the batterys, and the h/o alt. just for piece of mind. I already have a optima redtop of front by the way. Wrx thanks in advance for the link ill be waiting for them.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by edzy

I think I going to make that my sig on realm of excursion
Old 05-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dammm noobs. Op I'll send you a link to some real good info, Fcm and nsxxtreme are your friends.
lol.. noob? never that son... though i'm still learning more info as the days go by... i think i know my stuff, and been doing the **** for bout 3+ yrs now... i would however like to grab that link of the info tho... always willing to learn some new stuff so i can pass it on to the next guy in need... lets try correcting b4 shouting "NOOB"... jus' sayin'
Old 05-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ill fast
There is way better subs out than kicker and for the same price. I would look into Fi audio, SSA, and DC sound labs to name a few.
Completely agree!

Don't forget Sundown, Digital Designs, Soundsplinter, Mach5 Audio, or Audioque

Old 05-29-2010, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Atomic are good subs too...
Old 05-29-2010, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my advice is before you look into a HO alternator look into ways to bypass the honda eld system
Old 05-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honda's eld?
Old 05-29-2010, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How can i bypass the eld on my tl?
Old 05-29-2010, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Japanese ecu

or you can leave your headlights on
Old 06-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I honestly don't get why you guys want to put 2 batteries in your car. An alternator is 14 volt output the battery is 12V. That means the alternator is supplying ALL the current. Adding a second battery only reduces the alternator output because it is now charging 2 batteries instead of 1. If your into SPL then you don't care if your alternator is suppling all the current because your probably pulling way more then an alternator can keep up with anyway. In this case Caps dont make much sense because you can't store enough current in a cap. You add more batteries because you need as much current as you can get and the largest storage of current is the batteries. You really don't even need a alternator at this point. The alternator is just bonus current for SPL systems.

For a normal system a properly sized cap with a properly sized alternator makes sense. An alternator produces rectified DC. Which the name "alternator" should give you a clue that it produce AC (alternating current) The cap fills in the gaps for when the alternator is not supplying the current (very short amount of time). This prevents your lights from looking like a christmas tree. The only batteries I have seen that come close are batcaps.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nsx i would be running the two batteries with a high output alt. Would this still be wasteful?
Old 06-04-2010, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HksHaitian
Nsx i would be running the two batteries with a high output alt. Would this still be wasteful?
What is your intent?

If your alternator is capable of supplying all the current then yes it's wasteful. I'd say for most systems a second battery is a waste. That is unless your current draw drastically exceeds your alternators output. But you should really think about getting a bigger alternator at this point or you will burn it out.

You say your system is 2000w assuming 100% efficient amp and worst case voltage of 12V thats 166amps! That doesn't include what your car will use to run. I don't know what your high output alternator puts out. Whatever it is make sure you look at what voltage they are specing the current at. Assuming your alternator puts out 160 amps and you like to pound the crap out of your system all the time a second battery might be helpful for you because your alternator will never keep up anyway. If your like a normal person I would say just a cap and alternator might work out for you (obviously the wiring to support it).

That being said I seriously doubt many people pull the amount of current they think they pull. Music is transient not contant.

Last edited by nsxxtreme; 06-04-2010 at 09:22 AM.