Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Stumped. New Honda Pilot hi-to-low sub install = reverb/feedback.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stumped. New Honda Pilot hi-to-low sub install = reverb/feedback.

There's reverb/feedback through the subwoofer and it starts to rumble and distort the music as well as continue to rumble when the radio is turned off. The sound immediately stops when the door is opened but does not stop if the windows open. (This has me believing that that microphone for noise and distortion canceling shuts off when the door is opened) The rumbling also stops, obviously, when the key is turned off killing power to the remote wire. It starts more frequently when the car is sealed. I tried turning off the option inside the radio setting (I'm assuming for automatic sound level) and it didn't do anything.

This leads me to believe that the feedback is being re-sent into the radio through some sort of factory installed microphone. It may be the bluetooth microphone but I haven't had a chance to disconnect it because by the time I came to that conclusion, the customer was already late and had to leave.

'08 Honda Pilot
Pac SNI-35 Hi-to-Low Convertor
Kicker Mono Amp (Don't know what model. Customer brought it in from CC clearance sale. Has voltage sensing remote trigger built in but not using it.)
One JL 10W1v2 in a sealed box

I tapped the signal from the factory sub wire after the factory amplifier in the passenger kick panel. The remote wire is connected to an ACC source.

I tried the Kicker auto remote trigger and it didn't help. I tried a DEI voltage sensor to trigger the unit through speaker signal and it didn't work. I tried different hi-to-lows. I put diodes in-line with the hi-to-low speaker input wires and it seems to clear up the music a little but does not stop the rumbling completely, especially when the radio is turned off.

This has happened in an early 2000's Accord and I tapped the left and right rear 6x9 signal's in series into the hi-to-low and it solved the problem.

This has also happened in an 2008 Honda CRV when I tapped the hi-to-low from the factory subwoofer, inside the speaker box so I used 1 diode with the anode side to the factory amp side on the positive lead of the hi-to-low and it solved the problem.

But this Pilot is kicking my ***! I heard that on a relatively new Accord, there's a small module with two wires in a plug, in the rear C-pillar, that you can unplug and it solves the problem. I'm assuming that it's a microphone pickup unit. Anything like this on the Pilot?
Old 03-20-2009, 10:09 AM
They let me pick

Default Re: Stumped. New Honda Pilot hi-to-low sub install = reverb/feedback.

So this car has a factory sub? If you tapped the signal from the factory sub, why did you use a loc?
The bluetooth microphone is not in use when it is rumbling? If this is the case it would lead me to believe it is not the microphone...

Last edited by mrdeadman; 03-20-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:15 AM
They let me pick

So I was doing some research because I was curious and it looks like there is a Active Noise Cancellation unit installed in the car. However I have not found where it is. The ANC is what is causing the rumble...
Old 03-20-2009, 10:21 AM
They let me pick

Ok supposedly the ANC mic is in the headliner above the second row seats in between 2nd and 3rd passenger lights and apparently there is a second one near the windshield.
http://www.hondapilot.org/forums/sho...d/t-13692.html
Old 03-20-2009, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Oh wtf? You fast! So I should disconnect BOTH right?

EDIT: I read what they wrote on their forum and someone towards the end said that the micro up front is for voice commands. I don't think that is for the ANC.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Originally Posted by mrdeadman
So this car has a factory sub? If you tapped the signal from the factory sub, why did you use a loc?
The bluetooth microphone is not in use when it is rumbling? If this is the case it would lead me to believe it is not the microphone...
I couldn't find a usable low level signal before the amp. And I was afraid that the high level after the amp was gonna be too much for the low level inputs on the Kicker. Anyways, if there is in fact a ANC micro, it wouldn't matter where I grabbed the signal right? I think it'll rumble no matter what until I disconnect that micro.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:17 PM
They let me pick

Originally Posted by ScareyH22A
I couldn't find a usable low level signal before the amp. And I was afraid that the high level after the amp was gonna be too much for the low level inputs on the Kicker. Anyways, if there is in fact a ANC micro, it wouldn't matter where I grabbed the signal right? I think it'll rumble no matter what until I disconnect that micro.
Is there a factory amp in the car?
You could just run a loc right after the hu.
It will rumble no matter what though due to that mic.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:02 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My guess is the rumble is from a re-amplified signal, stepping down an amped signal and reampifying it is never a good idea.

Either use the Kickers high level inputs, [if equipped] and loose the LOC or install the LOC, as mrdeadman suggests, after the HU, this assumes HUs output is high level.94
Old 11-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone found a solution for this? I had a subwoofer and amp just for that sub installed using the wires from the existing subwoofer. When the doors are closed it kicks on the ANC and sends a hum to the subwoofer. I turned the ANC off using the radio (press the 1, 6, and power buttons on the radio (when off), hit #1 for the noise to first amplify, then hit #1 twice more to activate then fully de-activate the ANC). This changes the hum but justs adds a different one. I don't want to disconnect the ANC system if I don't have to.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh dang, this is an old thread, but if anyone else happens to stumble upon this, Ive gotten that reverb from tapping into factory sub high level ouputs before on a factory amplified system. I have fixed it by using rear left and right speakers vs. sub as signal in to my high-lo...
Old 11-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had this happen to me when I taped into the rear speakers. The bass was moving the rear speakers and causing feed back. I solved it by tapping into the front speakers. Is the factory sub unhooked?