Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

power antenna on eg civic??

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power antenna on eg civic??

i searched but either there is nothing posted about this or i just didnt know what to search for....but here is my question. I have a 92 civic 4dr and of course the antenna is not power. I want to convert to a power antenna...is this possible and what do i need to do it? Ive seen a bunch of universal power antennas on ebay and other places online, but im not sure if whats included is all i need. could someone please help me out and let me know what i need to do this. Also, to make use of the JDM half antenna switch, what relay do i need and where can i get it? thanks!!
Old 01-26-2006, 06:33 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: power antenna on eg civic?? (egcivic611)

Is the ant. in a 92 Civic not in the drivers "A" pillar?
Old 01-26-2006, 10:42 PM

Default Re: power antenna on eg civic?? (fcm)

my antenna is located on the roof of the drivers side...its non power...i want to buy a power antenna and mount it on the rear fender like the JDM ferios...was just asking if a power antenna kit off someplace like ebay is all i need, and then what realy (and where can i get it) do i need for the use of a half antenna switch? let me know, thanks
Old 01-27-2006, 03:34 AM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egcivic611 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my antenna is located on the roof of the drivers side...its non power...i want to buy a power antenna and mount it on the rear fender like the JDM ferios...was just asking if a power antenna kit off someplace like ebay is all i need, and then what realy (and where can i get it) do i need for the use of a half antenna switch? let me know, thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why would you do that? Your going to have to attempt to drill a perfect hole on the edge of your quarter panel... which will probably turnout bad.

Old 01-27-2006, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why would you do that? Your going to have to attempt to drill a perfect hole on the edge of your quarter panel... which will probably turnout bad.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not that hard. And it doesn't need to be all that "perfect". Most antenna kits come with a gasket and top nut that will cover it up if you slip or make the hole oval. Just be sure your kit has the ability to swivel to get a good seal.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:27 AM

Default Re: (B18C_EJ8)

^^ ditto that. Its easy just drill a small pilot hole and be carefull not to slip. The use a uni bit and drill it out to what ever size you need. The power antenna that best buy sells for like $60 will come with everything you need. Because your antenna is currently in the A pillar you will need an antenna extension to reach the rear where the new antennna is going. Make sure also you use the back strap the new antanna comes with to secure the bottom of the power antenna to the body so it doesnt move. You use the blue power antenna wire on the back of your deck to turn it on and off
Old 01-27-2006, 08:41 AM
fcm
Old Fart

It's not a matter of just adding a relay, the ant. that go half way or all the way up, [depending on dash switch position] have the limit switches built in, so you have to find an ant. that will do that.

Or what you can do is use one of the many universal fully automatic ant. available and turn it into manually height adjustable ant. and all you need is a 2 pole rocker switch, latching one way and momentary the other way.

You can check here for one of the half way or all the way up ant. http://www.metraonline.com/product_listing.php

http://www.hirschmann-usa.com/aa/faq.asp

http://www.google.com/search?s...ennas 94
Old 01-27-2006, 06:29 PM

Okay, well I bought the half antenna switch from a guy on here so now i need the antenna. I figured it was just a matter of getting a power antenna and a relay, but apparently not.

fcm--(or anyone else) could you maybe give a better explination for how to make a universal power antenna work as a half antenna like the jdm ones (specific wiring for a 92-95 civic would be helpful too if anyone knows it). OR does anyone have the jdm one with the limit switch already built in? Please let me know asap...thanks!
Old 01-28-2006, 10:02 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Default Re: (egcivic611)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egcivic611 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay, well I bought the half antenna switch from a guy on here so now i need the antenna. I figured it was just a matter of getting a power antenna and a relay, but apparently not.

fcm--(or anyone else) could you maybe give a better explination for how to make a universal power antenna work as a half antenna like the jdm ones (specific wiring for a 92-95 civic would be helpful too if anyone knows it). OR does anyone have the jdm one with the limit switch already built in? Please let me know asap...thanks!</TD></TR></TABLE> I use a 2 pole rocker switch, momentary when rocked one way and latched when rocked the other way.
The fully automatic ant. has 3 power connections, a ground, a constant power, and the trigger/control wire.
You have to switch both the constant and the trigger, [2 poles], connect the constant and trigger from the ant. to the common terminals of the switch, and and connect 12V constant to both the momentary and latched terminal of the constant pole and connect the trigger/control lead from the HU to the momentary and latched terminals on the trigger pole.
When the switch is in the latched position the ant. works normally, all the way up when radio is on and all the way down when radio is off.
When you hold the momentary position and the radio is on the mast will go up until you release the switch.
The only drawback of this system is you have to switch the rocker switch to the latched position if you want the ant. to go down.
I have also done this with a 2 pole on off latching switch, I just found the rocker momentary/latched was more convenient. 94
Old 01-28-2006, 12:43 PM

thanks for the explination. anyone know how to do this with the JDM half antenna switch though? let me know, thanks
Old 01-29-2006, 09:26 AM
fcm
Old Fart

How many poles on the switch, how many positions on the switch?

If the power ant. does not exceed the switch's amp rating and the switch is at least a SPST, [off /on] switch, you could run the constant power for the ant. through the switch, and when switch is on ant. would work normally and you could just turn the switch off when ant. is at the height you want, and the turn it back on to go down. 94
Old 01-29-2006, 12:58 PM

Default Re: (fcm)

here is the switch:

http://images.google.com/imgre...lr%3D

to my knowledge, when your radio is on, your antenna should go all the way up, and when you push this button, it is supposed to go down to half way up...? I think. I am not for sure. Apparently it is for the purpose of lowering your antenna while you are traveling at high speeds so you can still get reception. Anyway, i bought the switch, so now i need to figure out how to make it work ( I probably should have thought about that before I bought it but oh well, too late now..lol)
thanks
Old 01-29-2006, 09:47 PM

okay well ive been searching online for the past couple days and cant find any explination or how to for this...so what id prefer is to just get the jdm antenna that is made to be able to stop half way or go all the way up. Ive looked on ebay, jdmland, jdmshit, passwordjdm, etc and none of those places have it..jdmland has the switch but not the antenna. does anyone have one they want to sell or know anyone who does. if anyone lives where these were popular and thinks they can get one at a junkyard or something, let me know, i'll pay for shipping and whatnot. thanks!
Old 01-30-2006, 07:49 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Sorry I can't tell from the pix what kind of switch it is, but if the switch is rare. I bet the ant. would have to be ordered from Japan. 94
Old 10-03-2012, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: power antenna on eg civic??

Hi all...

I am bumping this thread after a period of 6 to 7 years as I was not able to find any alive thread discussing this topic.
I wish the thread initiator coulld reply to this post that what he actually did to put this power antenna on the rear quarter panel of his civic.

I would like to have the following if someone can please share:
a. Template showing the hole position and size etc
b. Pictures of EG civic having this antenna from which the position of this antenna can be revealed

Regards
Old 10-04-2012, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello anyone here.......
Old 05-16-2013, 07:16 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

I know you've done this install, shabbir.1, so you should post up some pictures and information!
Old 09-17-2013, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by deschlong
I know you've done this install, shabbir.1, so you should post up some pictures and information!
First of all sorry for the late reply.... I am posting the pictures of how I marked the location and later on drilled the hole for the rear power radio antenna.

As the civic EG SIR with factory fitted rear radio power antenna was never offered in our country nor I have ever found a single civic with power antenna which one can believe have got power antenna retrofitted in the exact location later on.
So to get an idea of the hole location for this antenna was very difficult and the only authentic source was the EG civic company brochure and this is the best picture I got so far to be used as a reference to get the approximate location of the rear power antenna.

You need to draw a straight line from the door weather strip (I have used a white color tape)

To place the marker you need a 2nd reference, this is achieved by drawing another line from the edge of the rear glass (outer most point)

Now at the intersection of the two lines place the rubber gasket (remove it from antenna) give it a angle towards the trunk of the car around 15 degrees and mark the outlines
I roughly measured the dia of the hole it is around 9~10mm max (the lesser the better as it can be widened easily later on)
You can see two oval outlines and circle inside, the two ovals show the outer and inner periphery of the gasket while the hole will be drilled on the inscribed circle

Last edited by shabbir.1; 09-17-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This the power radio antenna which I got with an attached relay for half antenna operation, you can also see a half switch which I ordered from the ebay
(the white cable was temporarily attached just to check the working condition of the antenna)

Last edited by shabbir.1; 09-17-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is the drilling process depicted in the following pictures

The center of the hole almost aligns with the edge of the trunk vent

It is really terrible to watch piercing a hole through the car's body

Old 04-05-2020, 12:39 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by shabbir.1
This is the drilling process depicted in the following pictures

The center of the hole almost aligns with the edge of the trunk vent

It is really terrible to watch piercing a hole through the car's body

Hi bro can u upload these picture again because image no longer available. Thank in advance.