Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

no power to amp

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no power to amp

i read the FAQ, I searched the search... maybe my "keywords" are off, so excuse my noobiness......

my problem involves my amp not getting any power, which of course, equals no sound. duh.

I have a 92 prelude.... alpine head unit (9813 or 9815 I think), replaced the stock 6.5s in back with Infinity Reference 6.5's and some Infinity 6000cs components up front. Sorry if this makes no sense or out of place, I'm not an audio aficionado, but a music lover. This setup is a cheapy Circuit City and it works great for what I can afford and want, except it's lacking lows.

I bought a Phoenix Gold 2-ch amp (new) good for something like 75wx2 rms @4 ohms. Does that make sense? Also, as a lighter weight option to get bigger, deeper sound free of of unobtrusively occupying my entire trunk, I bought two Infinity Kappa 6x9's and some cheap boxes, as well as a Monster Amp Installation kit.

I've followed the instructions from the amp kit. I've decided to put the amp under the passenger seat, and currently (not permanently), the 6x9's in their boxes are resting on the back seat. Ghetto I know, but I wanted it to work before thinking of a permanent placement installation. I have the ground from the amp to the RR seat rail bolt, the remote wire to the "power antenna" wire in the back of the HU, the audio cables to the "rear out" aback the HU, and the wire straight to the battery. Speaker cable is hooked up and I've triple-checked all my connections. I believe I have followed the instructions pretty well, but the light for the amp doesn't turn on, and no power is fed to the speakers. However, for a split second, my buddy got shocked when helping me when playing with the wires on the amp. The red light lit up as it shocked him, then disappeared. The amp kit's fuse has no burnt or discoloration, as well as the small fuse on the amp itself.

What am I forgetting, or do wrong? What else can I do to recheck before going to a professional installer?
Old 05-09-2005, 09:48 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: no power to amp (fenominal)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fenominal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i read the FAQ, I searched the search... maybe my "keywords" are off, so excuse my noobiness......

my problem involves my amp not getting any power, which of course, equals no sound. duh.

I have a 92 prelude.... alpine head unit (9813 or 9815 I think), replaced the stock 6.5s in back with Infinity Reference 6.5's and some Infinity 6000cs components up front. Sorry if this makes no sense or out of place, I'm not an audio aficionado, but a music lover. This setup is a cheapy Circuit City and it works great for what I can afford and want, except it's lacking lows.

I bought a Phoenix Gold 2-ch amp (new) good for something like 75wx2 rms @4 ohms. Does that make sense? Also, as a lighter weight option to get bigger, deeper sound free of of unobtrusively occupying my entire trunk, I bought two Infinity Kappa 6x9's and some cheap boxes, as well as a Monster Amp Installation kit.

I've followed the instructions from the amp kit. I've decided to put the amp under the passenger seat, and currently (not permanently), the 6x9's in their boxes are resting on the back seat. Ghetto I know, but I wanted it to work before thinking of a permanent placement installation. I have the ground from the amp to the RR seat rail bolt, the remote wire to the "power antenna" wire in the back of the HU, the audio cables to the "rear out" aback the HU, and the wire straight to the battery. Speaker cable is hooked up and I've triple-checked all my connections. I believe I have followed the instructions pretty well, but the light for the amp doesn't turn on, and no power is fed to the speakers. However, for a split second, my buddy got shocked when helping me when playing with the wires on the amp. The red light lit up as it shocked him, then disappeared. The amp kit's fuse has no burnt or discoloration, as well as the small fuse on the amp itself.

What am I forgetting, or do wrong? What else can I do to recheck before going to a professional installer? </TD></TR></TABLE>You said the amp trigger is hooked up to power ant. at back of HU, Alpine Hu have a power ant. trigger and an amp trigger wire, blue/white, there is no power on the ant. trigger, if you are playing the CD, try it with the radio, if the amp turns on, that is the problem, if that doesn't work, with a jumper, [wire] jump from the amps pos. (+) term to the amps trigger term, [you can't get a shock from 12v] if the amp will not turn on when you do the "jump" you have some other problem, poor or no ground, no power on main power lead, or yo have a bad amp. 94
Old 05-09-2005, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: no power to amp (fcm)

I have a 9813 Alpine HU in my car too. This radio has a remote power wire in the harness. This is the wire you should be connecting your amp to, not the power antenna lead like FCM said. If you still have the wiring harness that came with the Alpine, it should be labeled "remote" and I think it's a light blue colored wire.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:53 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: no power to amp (HiRevn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiRevn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 9813 Alpine HU in my car too. This radio has a remote power wire in the harness. This is the wire you should be connecting your amp to, not the power antenna lead like FCM said. If you still have the wiring harness that came with the Alpine, it should be labeled "remote" and I think it's a light blue colored wire.</TD></TR></TABLE> Blue/white 94
Old 05-12-2005, 11:11 AM

i'd also replace the inline fuse... i got shocked installing my friends amp and i had blown the 40 amp fuse. replaced that and it worked great!!
Old 05-29-2005, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys, info really helped. set it up in an instant and it now pounds wonderfully.