Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

need help with a 6 channel amp

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2001, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with a 6 channel amp

I have a 6 channel memphis belle 75x4 and 150x2 and i need someone to help me with the wires i need to run. Also it may be a dumb question but i am not sure how to get the sub side (150x2) to 4 0hms and crossed over that is what a friend of mine said he set my subs up for and i don't know crap about amps. I am pretty sure i know how to wire it up i just want to make sure. Thanks for any help
Old 11-28-2001, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help with a 6 channel amp (Accord15)

what speakers and sub(s)? This info is need to give a clear answer.
Old 11-28-2001, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help with a 6 channel amp (JuicedSi)

I think the Memphis Belle wires in like other amps( just use a large enough guage wire...I think it will take 4 awg ), need to run a power(from the battery), a ground( to a non painted portion of the frame, or unibody ), a remote( from the head unit ), and all the appropriate signal cables( 2 for front channels, 2 for rear channels, and 2 for sub channels....unless the amp sums these from the other inputs, not sure, don't have a Memphis Bell.)

I believe this amp has a built in crossover, so you should be able to set your front and rear channels to highpass(around 65-80hz if it is adjustible), and your sub channels to low pass(overlapp these with your highpass, or matche them evenly)

You can get a four ohm load by using a four ohm woofer per channel on the sub channels, or using two eight ohm woofers per channel( wired in parrallel ).

Here, check www.jlaudio.com, and go to the tutorial section( for help on speaker wiring ). Try www.memphiscaraudio.com for more specific help with your amp.
Old 11-28-2001, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help with a 6 channel amp (crux131)

Some other things that will help, try to run you signal(rca)cables down the opposite side of the car than your power cables....keep them at least 12" or more apart( to avoid engine noise....hopefully ).

Always use the propper size fuse on the power cable, and mount it within 12-18" from the battery( if the wire gets cut, or scraped you want the fuse to blow close to the battery, if it is by the amp, you have 12-17 feet of fire hazard...or live wire.)

Good luck on the install, if you have any more questions, post them...if I can't find the answer, I'll ask one of my friends( he installs for a Memphis dealer ).

Hope this helped.
Old 11-28-2001, 09:06 PM
New User

4 gauge power and ground. Ground cable no longer than 18 inches. Amp turn on wire (18 gauge wire is good). If the HU has three sets of RCA outputs, you need two pairs of RCA's and a single RCA cable. No need to run a pair of RCA's for the sub channels.

Sub side to 4 ohms depends on what subs you have.
Old 11-28-2001, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help with a 6 channel amp (redblues)

I have the memphis studio series subs with dual voice configurations. They are 200 rms and 400 max. I ran the power wire with a 150A fuse right next to the battery, this leads into a distribution block and i can not remember if i use the higher amp fuse for the subs or for the regular speakers. From there it goes to 8 gauge into the amp. I have three pairs of rca wires with places on the amp for all i have the panasonic 601u deal with the 3 rca outputs. I turned on the car when the amp was hooked up but one side would not work. It has two indicator lights to say if the side is working and the sub side was red (not working). And if one side doesn't work the other doesn't either. Any suggestions? I never ran the regular speaker wires because i did not want to be stuck without a stereo if the amp did not work. Do you think this would effect it? Thanks for the help
Old 11-29-2001, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does it have a seperate connection for the turn on lead( remote ), for each amplifier section? You may need to jump a wire from one remote to the other.

Are you running the subwoofer section as a 2 channel, or bridging it??

If you are going stereo, then wire your subs dual voice coils in parrallel for a 2 ohm load per channel( the amplifier will produce more power at this load )

If you are bridging the subwoofer section, you will have to use a combination of series-parrallel wiring to acheive a 4 ohm load.

There are some good examples of this on the JL Audio link I posted, or look here http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/2dvc.html , this shows both series and parrallel wiring for there W-6 series subs( but the same principles apply no matter the impedence ).

Good luck.
Old 11-29-2001, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh yeah, are all the fuses good??

Just a thought, sometimes the little things sneak in on us...lol
Old 11-29-2001, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Each side has its would connection for the remote. I am bridging the sub side. I had a friend of mine wire up my subs and he said they were set for 4 0hms bridged. They are in a sealed box now so i gotta take his word for it. I am not interested in mass amounts of power just real tight bass with a good sound. I got tweeters i need to mount in the front and then 4 studio speakers. ITs gonna be bas *** when i get it working. All the fuses are new so i do not think it is that. I have two sets of fuses for the distribution block and i am not sure if the higher amp fuses go with the speakers or the subwoofers. Any idea? I am almost positive i need to get a power cap my lights will be dimming all over the place if i don't. Thanks for all the help.
Old 11-30-2001, 10:50 AM
New User

Each side has its would connection for the remote. I am bridging the sub side. I had a friend of mine wire up my subs and he said they were set for 4 0hms bridged. They are in a sealed box now so i gotta take his word for it. I am not interested in mass amounts of power just real tight bass with a good sound. I got tweeters i need to mount in the front and then 4 studio speakers. ITs gonna be bas *** when i get it working. All the fuses are new so i do not think it is that. I have two sets of fuses for the distribution block and i am not sure if the higher amp fuses go with the speakers or the subwoofers. Any idea? I am almost positive i need to get a power cap my lights will be dimming all over the place if i don't. Thanks for all the help.
Higher amp fuses go sub side. So if I get this correctly, you have two tweets, four mid range drivers, and two DVC subs and you're trying to figure out how they should be wired?

If your sub side is bridged there should only be two speaker wires going into the sub side of the amp. There may be amp settings for bridging as well so check it out if you want to make sure. For 4 ohms bridged with two 4 ohm DVC subs, it should go from amp (+) to sub 1 VC 1 (+) to sub 1 VC 2 (+). Then sub 1 VC 1 (-) to sub 1 VC 2 (-) to sub 2 VC 1 (+) to sub 2 VC 2 (+). Then sub 2 VC 1 (-) to sub 2 VC 2 (-) back to amp (-). If that looks confusing visualize it.

I had a 800W RMS system running in the ITR with no dimming problems, as long as the wires are good and the settings are right you really don't need a cap.
Old 11-30-2001, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help with a 6 channel amp (redblues)

Thanks you all you've been a great help. All i gotta do now is mount the amp to my back seat and hide the wires.