Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

How not to wire a stereo

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (nineohtoo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nineohtoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wow. So it's not just CC trying to integrate all its services? They're making us go from the red uni's to black ones with firedog logos instead of "roadshop." </TD></TR></TABLE>

....and WTF is a firedog anyway?
Old 09-14-2007, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And hell no not all BB's are good. One guy came in that had his amp done by BB in Colorado. They didn't put the power wire through the firewall. The ran it underneath the car. It ate through the insulation and was throwing sparks as he drove. The whole car was a mess and eventually we refused to warranty it and told him to take it back to CO cuz it was just too much of mess. The guy that had my position before me actually ran the amp power wire in through the door jamb. Classic.

We haven't got the new uniforms. All of us are opposed to them. We refuse to wear anything that says "geek squad" and we're not at all happy with "auto techs" either. I'm either going to keep wearing my old uniform or quietly have the geek squad patch replaced with a best buy logo.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honestly I'm more happy with the auto tech t-shirt than a blue shirt. People are less likely to ask me questions on the sales floor when I go out there

I think we're supposed to get the new uniforms in another week or two.

Oh and by the by, installs definitely vary greatly from bb to bb. It seems like we're constantly fixing installs from the other two closest stores
Old 09-15-2007, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (8520)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 8520 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Honestly I'm more happy with the auto tech t-shirt than a blue shirt. People are less likely to ask me questions on the sales floor when I go out there

Oh and by the by, installs definitely vary greatly from bb to bb. It seems like we're constantly fixing installs from the other two closest stores </TD></TR></TABLE>

You and I are practically clones.

Yeah, it is so damned critical to get us in new uniforms that they are giving us temporary uniforms for the time being (until Jan). They're going to be just like the home theatre installers.

A firedog is the traditional firehouse dalmation. It was chosen by CC employees in a contest. Why it's green and jumping through a circus hoop, god knows. But I kind of like the name and logo.

Yes firedog is CC's answer to Geek Squad. And BB's decision to roll together all their services under GS is BB's reply. I was working there when they rolled it out. I think the Firedog image and CC's whole approach to it is preferable to BB's Geek Squad. Where I'm from, you call someone a geek, you might as well call them a *** or homo. Why would you have a put down as your brand? Hi, we're the paedophiles. Let us fix your sink.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You and I are practically clones.

Yeah, it is so damned critical to get us in new uniforms that they are giving us temporary uniforms for the time being (until Jan). They're going to be just like the home theatre installers.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Temp uniforms? That doesn't sound good

People are so picky about dress code at my store it's retarded. I was told I couldn't wear a particular pair of shorts because "the pockets were too baggy".

It's interesting, because I dress better than 60% of the people on the sales floor and I'M the one that gets called on dress code.

/rant
Old 09-15-2007, 07:12 PM

Default Re: (8520)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 8520 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Temp uniforms? That doesn't sound good

People are so picky about dress code at my store it's retarded. I was told I couldn't wear a particular pair of shorts because "the pockets were too baggy".

It's interesting, because I dress better than 60% of the people on the sales floor and I'M the one that gets called on dress code.

/rant</TD></TR></TABLE>

There is way to much "political" bs that goes on with that company. That is the main thing I don't miss. Don't know how many of you guys worked there when there was a seperate sales floor supervisor and an install supervisor, but when they combined the position, I was the install lead/supervisor, whatever and they wanted me to take the job of the combined sup spot and I didn't want it, but they said if I didn't take it, they didn't have a position available for me. So, I took the position and within about 2 months or so, I moved the dept to number 1 in the district and then stepped down to a part time installer and a couple months later I left all together because I finally had all the work done on my own place and opened up. There is a whole new set of difficulties and bs in owning your own place though. One advantage is, I got last minute freebie tickets to Mid Ohio to watch the NASA series races and we just closed up and went to the races, lol. Honda Challenge and Miata spec racing FTW!!!
Old 09-15-2007, 09:36 PM

Default Re: How not to wire a stereo (suspendedHatch)

Car audio isn't rocket science. Yes I have seen my share of scary installs but with some common sense, a few tools, and very basic understanding of electricity anyone can install to a level of a mass merchant install. Case in point Crutchfield has been DIY kits forever.

I would encourage anyone to try installing themselves. A longtime ago.. in the early 90's when I started out with car audio; Crutchfield made some good booklets giving a primer on the basics. Good connections, fuses, wire length/amp/gauge relationship, wiring harnesses. Not sure if they still make those guides. A simple guide like that give you a good basis for starting.

Seems like on this forum there are a lot of ego's that have something to prove.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:10 AM

Default Re: How not to wire a stereo (s13_240sx_92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by s13_240sx_92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Car audio isn't rocket science. Yes I have seen my share of scary installs but with some common sense, a few tools, and very basic understanding of electricity anyone can install to a level of a mass merchant install. Case in point Crutchfield has been DIY kits forever.

I would encourage anyone to try installing themselves. A longtime ago.. in the early 90's when I started out with car audio; Crutchfield made some good booklets giving a primer on the basics. Good connections, fuses, wire length/amp/gauge relationship, wiring harnesses. Not sure if they still make those guides. A simple guide like that give you a good basis for starting.

Seems like on this forum there are a lot of ego's that have something to prove. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree with you, it's not rocket science and I like when people are capable of doing it themselves, I typically give people advice to point them in the right direction.......BUT I think in the cases that are being referred to, the people obvioulsy did not have a basic understanding and they weren't smart enough to acquire the proper parts or reference material. There are a lot of guys that install in the mass merchant arena who's skills are way beyond what is allowed in a mass merchant install bay and on the other side of the coin, there are installers that fall into the same category as the aforementioned cases, but they somehow managed to convince somebody that they knew what they were doing. Most are eliminated after damaging enough cars. The bad part is, the company puts management into a predicament that forces them to hold onto these guys until either a more suitable replacement is found or said installer can no longer hide the damage that he is actually causing and is fired. This is one of the reason's that mass merchant installer's get such a bad rap. Let's also not forget that mass merchants install more than just car audio, security/remote start and convenience items such as navigation is an evergrowing category and cars are becoming increasingly harder to integrate with honeslty, most of the vehicles that people own in a forum like this are older Honda's (and maybe Nissans ) and that advanced technology is just not in those vehicles. I by no means think that I am the best installer out there, and I am always looking for more efficient and realiable methods to get the job done. Quite honeslty though, there are SOME people that should just never attempt it. Something alot of people don't know/realize....some of the mass merchant guys will install as much 12v equipment in one week around christmas as a lot of DIY guys may do in a lifetime. This being said though, just remember that it is the internet and when you cannot hear the tone of voice of things being said, it is really hard to say how somthings should be taken.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How not to wire a stereo (NismoGriff)

It's not a matter of ego. Maybe it sounds that way when we're expressing frustration.

I'm more than happy to help people along and write guides on my own time as anyone that looks through the FAQ can see. My point in writing this thread is that you cannot simply assume that you are born knowing how to install or that if you've put in a couple speakers and a stereo that you can install.

There are many people that want to put in their own system to save money and never do another install. They don't want to invest the time and money in tools, supplies, and self-training. These are the people that the majority of my criticism is directed toward.

It's an insult for someone to act as though they can do my job just as well as I can w/out any background in the field. It's not something you wake up one morning and do. And it's not worth learning how to do it if you're only going to do one install.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How not to wire a stereo (suspendedHatch)

Best Buy used crimp caps with no solder when they hard wired the stereo in my Prelude. When I sold the Prelude my brother-in-law and I took it out and hard wired it to the wiring harness from my wife's old stereo using solder to seal the connections of the wires and then tightly wrapping electical tape around the connection.

It isn't difficult to do it yourself but you have to be patient, take your time and be properly prepared. Before too long I'm going to start doing a stealth install for an alarm on my Integra and I know I'm going to have to redo it at least once to get it right. It's going to be an all-day, if not multiple-day affair but I accept that.

I'm not willing to mess my car up just to get something done quickly... unfortunatly, at mass merchant shops time is money. I know there are good installers at CC and BB but there are many who aren't.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:27 PM

Default Re: How not to wire a stereo (rancidhooligan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rancidhooligan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
It's going to be an all-day, if not multiple-day affair but I accept that.

I'm not willing to mess my car up just to get something done quickly... unfortunatly, at mass merchant shops time is money. I know there are good installers at CC and BB but there are many who aren't.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The should be the thought process whenever anybody does anything to their cars. The end result will almost always be better than when you rush.