Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

help me hide my wires!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me hide my wires!

ive always had this problem! wires everywhere i need to get them hidden/reduced somehow!!!!

ill be changing jeeps agan soon and im thinking of getting everthing in an enclosure with just the ground power and rcas coming out as well as the remote wire somewhere

soetimes i put them under the seat in the back it don't matter wires are everywhere

any suggestions on a goox way to hide my 2 amps and crossover and all the speaker wires?
Old 04-11-2004, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help me hide my wires! (jordan-boxer)

well just make sure to run your power wire down one side of the car and your remote lead and rca's down the opposite.. yeah it takes longer but it is the right way to be done..

but a couple rolls of electrical tape.. and wrap the rca's and remote lead together all the way down.. and then run it along the factory wire harness and zip tie about every foot.. dont leave your wires too long at the end and it will look great..

using flex tube under the hood, and just try to follow where the oem wires lead and it will be clean as ****..

amps under the rear seat are good to make clean, but take the time and pull the seat out, so you can plan everything out better and mount the amps right. really think about your wiring, before you just lay **** all over and connect it.

just take your time, and if you dont like how you ran something, just pull it out and go another way..
Old 11-07-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Re: help me hide my wires! (Sheep Skates)

I wanna hide my wires, is there an easy way to get the wires to run down the sides of the car with the factory speaker wires. I have a 90 civic hatchback if that helps in explaining any. I've got interior neons under the dash and seat and two subs in the hatch and I want to run the power wire down the driver side and the rca down the passenger side and basically I just wanna know where the factory wires go through the sides of the car or if I could just run the wires under my carpet with some type of wire covers over them? Please tell me if you need me to explain more to help you answer me. Thanks
Old 11-07-2005, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you guys serious? Do you really need someone to tell you to run the wires under the carpet?

I hope not, but here's a hint... Pull up the sill plates, and you'll be able to pull the carpet back. Put wires under carpet. Reattach sill plates.

Honestly, if you're having trouble with this, it might be better to pay a shop to do it...
Old 11-07-2005, 12:49 PM

Wire management is not always easy. If you take out all the seats and carpet usually this will make it easier to route wires. I think the main thing is having a plan. Get everything done right the first time. I have noticed the more you have to go back and rewire or the more you change equipment the messier the wire become. Use the right size wires and cut off any excess. Mount your amps perminently to the car some where. When you mount your amps to say the back of your box theres not really any where to hide you wires. The backs of seats, under seats or storage compartments like in the back of SUV's generally make good mounting locations. Keep in mind, when choosing a spot, how easy it will be to get to your adjustments on the amp.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:52 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: help me hide my wires! (fkguitar)

The stock wire harness for the rear of your car runs down the drivers side of car, the RR speaker and fuel pump/gauge wires branch off just about at the front of the rear seat and run to the center under the seat, [fuel pump] and all the way across the to the other side for the RR speaker, access to the harness can be made by removing the kick panel trim and the rocker panel/sill trim.

Power for amps should be run down pass side, RCAs down center of car speaker wires can be run back on both sides, the main thing to remember is to keep all wiring/cables as short as possible and keep the RCAs away from any power wires as much as possible.

For your neon's, fkguitar, I would pull the console and run the wires down the center to under the seats. 94
Old 11-07-2005, 05:15 PM

Default Re: help me hide my wires! (fcm)

Sorry to seem like noob, but everyones gotta learn sometime. So the rca's should run down the middle of the car not down the opposite side of the car to the power wires? Is it just better to keep them short?
Old 11-07-2005, 09:21 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fkguitar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry to seem like noob, but everyones gotta learn sometime. So the rca's should run down the middle of the car not down the opposite side of the car to the power wires? Is it just better to keep them short?</TD></TR></TABLE>
You don't need to run them down the sides, just don't run them next to the power wire. It's much easier though.

As for the original poster, it's easy to do, but can be time consuming. Use those plastic, oem looking tubing for your power wire under the hood. People always ask me what i wired my power wire too because they can't find the wire at first until they trace it to the battery. Just follow oem wires and it will be clean. Then run everything under the carpet obviously. The only pain is getting your speaker wires from your amp through your doors. I always skip this step when i first install a system because i'm lazy. It's a bitch to run it though the rubber tube and i always feel like doing it another day. But you need too. If you have exposed wires, you didn't really install anything, you just hooked things up. That's like "installing" a home stereo but having wires all over the floor. Please do it right, you will apprciate you work and your friends wont make fun of you
Old 11-08-2005, 06:56 AM
fcm
Old Fart

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fkguitar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry to seem like noob, but everyones gotta learn sometime. So the rca's should run down the middle of the car not down the opposite side of the car to the power wires? Is it just better to keep them short?</TD></TR></TABLE> It is always best to keep all the wiring and cables as short as possible.

Running the RCAs down the middle of the car serves two purposes, it keeps them as short as possible and it keeps them away from any power wires.

Because the batt. is on the pass. side of the car, you will want to run the power down the pass. side, [you don't want to run it all the way across to the drivers side in the engine bay or in the car] and because the drivers side has all the power wiring for the rear of the car, you would want to keep the RCAs away from there.

Also I agree with MLD211 removing the seats and carpet, [and center console] is the best and easiest way to do wiring in your car, if your doing a lot of wiring , [stereo, neon and so on]

That said, if all you are adding is an amp or two you can get away with removing the console and the pass. seat, the carpet can be lifted up on the pass side to facilitate running the RCAs, a roll of good quality duct tape, [100MPH tape] is good to have, use it to tape the RCAs down flat and keep them from moving around, take the twists out of the RCAs and if running more then one set, don't let them twist around each other, [lay them flat and tape them in place] if you are running more then one set, you may want to look into multi set RCAs, it can help keep thing cleaner.

My point here is if your looking to keep things clean and neat, [always a good idea to prevent noise and/or other problems] pulling the seats and carpet, makes it easier to keep the wiring short, neat and tidy and a hell of a lot easier to run them properly. 94

Old 11-20-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: help me hide my wires! (fcm)

Aight can someone direct me to where I should run the the power wire through the firewall for the amp?
Old 11-20-2005, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i ran a 4 gauge thru the gromet thats like right above the fuse box in my 96 accord. Its a huge gromet, theres something else going thru it, i forget what it is by now, but when your done make sure you put it back as tight as possible and seal the gap so no water can get in.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Aight can someone direct me to where I should run the the power wire through the firewall for the amp?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

What vehicle are we talking about?
Old 11-21-2005, 09:18 AM
fcm
Old Fart

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fkguitar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Aight can someone direct me to where I should run the the power wire through the firewall for the amp?</TD></TR></TABLE> If your 90 Civic does not have an unused hole, [plugged with rubber "dummy" plug] on the pass. side, [and there should be] you can use an existing grommet with wires running through the firewall, [as long as there is room] or just drill a new hole use proper size rubber or plastic grommet, if you are going to drill your own hole, make sure you know what is on the other side, before you drill through. 94