Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Help... I have a short somewhere! =(

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help... I have a short somewhere! =(

I have finished installing my alarm. Alarm works (without starting). Tried to install an amp. Tried to crank, *click*, nothing. Soo I checked the underhood fuse and everything is okay.

10 minutes later, I decided to check the + and - terminals. Fortunately, I found a short. I removed the amp power wire and reconnected the battery. Car starts fine.

Went inside, brush up, start the car, drove home fine.

So I am home now, trying to find why the power cable was shorting out.

+ and - terminals are shorted. It gives me a beep for continuity sometimes, and sometimes a value in mv. Have not tried to start the car again.

What could be the problem? Was it my alarm install? Alarm seems to work (arm, disarm, trigger), except have not tried to start the car again fearing it would disappoint me.

It drove home fine without the amp power wire. It is not on now, and it still has a short.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help... I have a short somewhere! =( (Azxster)

re-route the power cable for the amp. and find a new ground as well. it is not the alarm install so dont worry about that. maybe something punctured the power cable which is a common problem that people have.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:29 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oemjdmdc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">re-route the power cable for the amp. and find a new ground as well. it is not the alarm install so dont worry about that. maybe something punctured the power cable which is a common problem that people have.</TD></TR></TABLE> Ditto the above, if you run into the problem when the amps power is connected the problem has to be in the power wire or the amp.

Try this disconnect power cable at the amp, [make sure power wire is not touching ground] with the power wire disconnected at the batt. do a continuity check on the power wire, [set meter to continuity, ground the black meter probe to cars chassis or batt. ground, place red probe on amps power cable] there should be no continuity at all, [not a peep]

If the power wire is not shorting to ground I would say you have a problem with the amp, BTW, is there no fuse on the power cable, if there was a short, that kept you from cranking the motor over, the fuse should have blown. 94
Old 04-16-2006, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help... I have a short somewhere! =( (fcm)

I have isolated it to be the amp power cable. For some reason, when it is disconnected to the + terminal, there is no continuity to chassis. The + terminal also has no continuity to chassis. I then connect, and there is continuity. Weird. But it is for sure the amp wire because it works with/without alarm if the amp wiring is not connected.

Side question: I just installed the Compustar R500A (I was mislead... I thought it was the latest according to the authorized dealer). When I disarm, sit in the car, the car chirps several times in a set interval, sort of like passive arming. However, I tried to disable passive arming and it still chirps.

I could deal with it... but I installed piezo sirens and they hurt my ears while I am fiddling to install the HU faceplate. Ouch.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:31 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I do not recognize the Compustar R500A model number, but the chirping you hear sounds like the warning chirps a Compustar alarm/starter/alarm starter combo would give before passively arming the car, [and locking the doors if wired and not programed to off when passive arming is used] you should be able to turn off passive arming with the remote. 94