Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

HELP on head units

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP on head units

ok when i got my deck installed, it was done at best buy and i never really got to see how it happened. so my question is, how do i take out my deck? i want to know how to pull it out of the dash. im trying to rewire my systems so any info would be helpful...thanks
Old 05-18-2004, 06:25 PM

Default Re: HELP on head units (speed junk1e)

The hardest yet simplest step is to remove the trim panel. Get a metal tool that is thin and perhaps 2-3 inch wide, wrap it in a thin towel (or a napkin), and wedge it between the trim panel and the surrounding console. Once you've inserted it about an inch deep, apply some pressure to pop the trim panel out. Once you've gotten the trim panel out, you'll see screws and you should be on your way, it's fairly straightforward from there on.

Let me know if you need more help with removing the trim panel. Be careful not to break it (duh).

Etienne
Old 05-19-2004, 04:19 PM
HT White Ops

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

What car is this in?
Old 05-20-2004, 09:37 PM

Default Re: HELP on head units (rochesterricer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rochesterricer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What car is this in?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah my bad, its in a 98' accord coupe...the deck is a kenwood unit, not sure about the model? haha
Old 05-20-2004, 09:57 PM
HT White Ops

You might just be able to use the install keys that came with the deck. If they did their job, however, you wont. I can't remember the whole disassembly procedure off hand, but I do remember that the first thing you do is pop out the dash clock and remove the screws behind it. That '98 is the newer body style right, not a '97 1/2?
Old 05-24-2004, 08:13 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rochesterricer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You might just be able to use the install keys that came with the deck. If they did their job, however, you wont. I can't remember the whole disassembly procedure off hand, but I do remember that the first thing you do is pop out the dash clock and remove the screws behind it. That '98 is the newer body style right, not a '97 1/2?</TD></TR></TABLE>

What are you talking about? if they did their job correctly they installed the sleeve. so, all you need to do is wedge the keys or 2 thing peices of metal in between the deck and the sleeve and pull the head unit out. thats all!!
Old 05-24-2004, 09:28 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: HELP on head units (2ndchancehonda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2ndchancehonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What are you talking about? if they did their job correctly they installed the sleeve. so, all you need to do is wedge the keys or 2 thing peices of metal in between the deck and the sleeve and pull the head unit out. thats all!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Uh no, that makes it waaay too easy to steal. What the installers SHOULD have done is put in a backstrap, or at least put tape over the sleeve and deck.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:04 AM

If a thief wants something he WILL get it...backstrap or not...

Short of welding a bracket in place, a thief will still be able to rip out a deck. Backstrap may be tough but I know I can still bend it with my bare hands...

The only way you'll get a thief to not steal your stereo is if you can't get it out either......period!

Besides, I'd rather not have to replace my entire dash as well when the thief destroys it ripping out my stereo...
Know that crowbar he just used to get into the car? Any idea what that will do to your dash? Heater controls? etc? It's not pretty, I've seen a lot of it coming through the shop in the past from backstrapped/razorbladed stuff being ripped out or beaten on.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:19 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: HELP on head units (Phat_Jax)

You have to keep in mind that most thieves are complete retards. Most of the time they will screw up your dash either way. If done correctly, you shouldn't be able to get enough leverage to break the backstrap or where it is mounted to.

If a thief is going to jack my ****, he is going to have to put some work into it.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sure there is no backstrap especially if Best Buy did it. You can either slide the radio out of the cage using the keys that came with it or just pull the dash. It has been a while since I have done one of those Accords, but I do remember that there is a screw behind the hazzard switch if I remember right.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:47 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (toyzbus)

I was an installer at Best Buy for 2 years and I used backstraps whenever I could. At the very least I would put a strip of duct tape over where the cage and the deck meet. If someone tried to pull the deck out the tape would get jammed in between them. The first time I tried it, I couldn't believe how effective it was.