Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Headunit problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headunit problem

Im not really a newb when it comes to wiring in a after market head unit but Im having a newb issue.

I have a Clarion DXZ745MP in my car as well as in my GF's car. Its an awesome headunit for the everday person because it has almost everything you could ever want in a HU.

When I installed the head unit, I bought the adapter harnesses from Circuit city and connected the HU harness that was supplied with the HU by twisting the ends together and then soldering the connection and then I used electrical tape to cover the exposed wire. The only wires I didnt do this too were the power and the ground. For those I used male and female end crimps and then used the electrical tape to cover the exposed surface. The radio in my car works perfectly, I couldn't be happier with it. However, the HU that is in my GF's car is having issues.

The volume range on these HU's go from 0-33. I usually listen to the music at 18-24 depending on road noise, people in the car, etc.. When you turn up the volume on her HU, RIGHT AT 22 it starts to crackle and distort. I thought it could be the speakers but when I checked them out, they seemed fine. Then I thought it was the HU so I took my HU out of my car and installed it in her car. Still had the same problem with the crackling.

Then I figured that it was the wiring. I took off the tape on the power and ground and saw that the ground wire seemed to be coming loose so I took off the male/female connectors and twisted the two together and used electrical tape to cover the exposed wire. It worked perfectly for a while but now the same issue has come back. I tried checking the ground wire again and it seems to be in good condition so Im sorta ruling that out.

What should I do next? What could be causing the crackling?
Old 01-14-2008, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Headunit problem (Boarderx192)

Bump, someone here has got to know what I can do.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:17 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Headunit problem (Boarderx192)

How did you check out the speakers? Try turning up the stereo past 22 with the HU pulled from the dash and move the wires around where you made your connections. See if it gets better or worse. Try and isolate the wire or wires causing the issue.