Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

GPS tracking system? Best bang for the buck? Your Experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS tracking system? Best bang for the buck? Your Experiences?

well i've been lightly searching around about gps tracking/alarm for your car. i've found that a lot of people like the viper gps, lojack, and the clifford matrix gps seems real good as well. http://www.clifford.com/matrix/2way/default.asp http://www.directed.com/security/viper/gps.asp

the only thing that really gets me is the monthly fees, amount of times you can use it..etc.

which would/do you prefer? why?

what are your personal experience with any gps tracking system?

thanks
Old 08-24-2006, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: GPS tracking system? Best bang for the buck? Your Experiences? (The Source)

dei You can't compare lo-jack with the dei unit. The dei gps you get more features the lo-jack does not have. So it cost a lil more. you allready peeped them both so there no need for me to list it. The viper unit is the same as the clifford unit. Installed correctly and its a powerfull unit. It saved my cars plently of times. And a couple of my customers too. One guy just got 14 months for getting into my car. last week. If it wasn't for the ews phone call i would of lost my headunit or personal stuff. Because I sure as hell did not here my 2 waypager.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: GPS tracking system? Best bang for the buck? Your Experiences? (The Source)

Thats a retarded pricing scheme.

You can buy the silver package and get more connections then gold or Platinum just by buying the connections seperately for cheaper.

The reason GPS tracking is so expensive and requires monthly service fees is because it usually requires the provider have a cellular connection.

Just like your cell phone has monthly fee's so will GPS tracking. Using the GPS satellites is free but then you need a way to transfer that data. That is usually done over the cellular network.

$8.25/ month really isnt that much. Like any new toy most of its use will be in the first 3/months. After that you'll start to use it like your supposed to.

I had GPS tracking on my street bike highly recommend it. Company I used is now out of business.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:44 AM

Default Re: GPS tracking system? Best bang for the buck? Your Experiences? (nsxxtreme)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wrx-killer-Sti eater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dei You can't compare lo-jack with the dei unit. The dei gps you get more features the lo-jack does not have. So it cost a lil more. you allready peeped them both so there no need for me to list it. The viper unit is the same as the clifford unit. Installed correctly and its a powerfull unit. It saved my cars plently of times. And a couple of my customers too. One guy just got 14 months for getting into my car. last week. If it wasn't for the ews phone call i would of lost my headunit or personal stuff. Because I sure as hell did not here my 2 waypager. </TD></TR></TABLE>

icic, i might get the clifford one then.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxxtreme &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats a retarded pricing scheme.

You can buy the silver package and get more connections then gold or Platinum just by buying the connections seperately for cheaper.

The reason GPS tracking is so expensive and requires monthly service fees is because it usually requires the provider have a cellular connection.

Just like your cell phone has monthly fee's so will GPS tracking. Using the GPS satellites is free but then you need a way to transfer that data. That is usually done over the cellular network.

$8.25/ month really isnt that much. Like any new toy most of its use will be in the first 3/months. After that you'll start to use it like your supposed to.

I had GPS tracking on my street bike highly recommend it. Company I used is now out of business.</TD></TR></TABLE>

didnt know you can buy the connections seperatly that saves a lot then.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here a good start
Old 08-24-2006, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get the Lo-Jack Early Warning System as well (when money permits). If you already have Lo-jack, you can add it a la carte if the Lo-jack unit is not too old.

Also, consider the Clifford Black Jax system. Need to enter a code in order to drive your car. no code? car starts to make alarm sounds then pulses down the engine. Make it a thief's nightmare
Old 08-24-2006, 06:01 PM

Default Re: GPS tracking system? Best bang for the buck? Your Experiences? (AoiGSR)

i want something that will notify me right away if its barley moved/tilted. around here it seems like all the cars getting stolen are being toed and where i can track it to the point.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just read a AAA magazine I got in the mail and has a section on car thieves and how California auto theft rates are still increasing while the country as a whole, auto thefts are decreasing.

"In fact, 13 of the 25 areas with the nation's highest auto theft rates are in the Golden State, including four in the Southland: San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos (8th), Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario (12th), Bakersfield (13th), and Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana (22nd). Furthermore, L.A. County motorists are victims of about one-third of all car thefts statewide. August through December is the time when thieves steal the most vehicles."

Source: http://www.aaa-calif.com/westw...f.asp

Interesting article on what people may/not know.

Talks about advantages and disadvantages of various systems.

If you want something that will notify right away, I think Lo-Jack Early Warning System should be first on your list. That system can be set to 5 different forms of contact of your choice.

As for a DEI GPS system, those can be set for when a door opens, speed is over the "normal" speed" and various other settings. If they can find the GPS and disable it, you're toast.

I think Lo-Jack might do a better job at hiding their systems. At least once the car moves without the key fob, it will warn you by those methods. I'd use the GPS from DEI as another backup to the lo-jack early warning. Time will be of importance once you get notification.

Read the article for the advantages and disadvantages.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GPS tracking system? Best bang for the buck? Your Experiences? (AoiGSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AoiGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I think Lo-Jack might do a better job at hiding their systems. At least once the car moves without the key fob, it will warn you by those methods. I'd use the GPS from DEI as another backup to the lo-jack early warning. Time will be of importance once you get notification.

Read the article for the advantages and disadvantages.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wish that was true. It a sad location were they put most lo-jack system. Find it in 1 min flat. Esp in tegs. I recommend lo-jack and dei gps. Our demo truck has both. avarage time is between 5-15 min for you to be alerted
Old 08-25-2006, 12:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GPS tracking system? Best bang for the buck? Your Experiences? (wrx-killer-Sti eater)

If that's the case, it's best to make sure the alarm brain is not in the "typical" locations. I saw some website that talked about security for a civic. Very intersting website but can't find it right now

Old 09-06-2006, 07:17 PM

Default Re: GPS tracking system? Best bang for the buck? Your Experiences? (Flava)

bump wana hear from some more people that have it
Old 09-17-2006, 05:09 PM

Default Re: GPS tracking system? Best bang for the buck? Your Experiences? (Flava)

I just bought the starter kit from accutracking.com.It uses a boost mobile cell and a software package you download.Works pretty good.It updates every 5-10 minutes and is within 10-100 ft. of the phone.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:28 AM

not sure if this is the site you were refering too but i found it very intresting
http://www.vsracing.net/~suspended/index.html
Old 09-20-2006, 06:20 AM

I thought I would register here after reading this post, so I could reply.... Take a look at The Witness --- http://www.thewitness.net This tracking system is only $429 retail, and can be self-installed. It has all the usual speed-limit, theft-alert, alarm-violation alerts among the usual tracking options.

Brad