Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Dynamat - What's the Verdict?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Dynamat - What's the Verdict?

Dent......... Sorry. That home depot stuff is going to stink when it gets hot. And so is that foam in the doors. Your doors gets really wet on the inside from rain. That foam will suck up water.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:36 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wrx-killer-Sti-eater
Dent......... Sorry. That home depot stuff is going to stink when it gets hot. And so is that foam in the doors. Your doors gets really wet on the inside from rain. That foam will suck up water.
If any of those things happen, I'll go in and remove them from the car. None if it is permanent.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wrx-killer-Sti-eater
That home depot stuff is going to stink when it gets hot.
Any suggestions on a MLV + CCF layer?

I've read mixed reviews on DynaPad and DynaLiner. Second Skin's Luxury Liner Pro seems a little better based on reviews.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:00 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Finally applied the Mass Loaded Vinyl. Holy **** it makes a world of difference; my car is dead silent now.
Attached Images         

Last edited by RA100923; 01-22-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:40 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

By the way...I left the entire roll of MLV unrolled in my garage over night and out in the sun while I worked on this project - and the smell of it has completely dissipated. The cabin of my car doesn't smell like it at all.

We'll see whether the smell will come out again on a hot day...

On a side note, I also had to remove a considerable amount of the foam that I had stuffed on the inside of the door panel itself, just to get the door panel to sit properly on the door again. Could be because I was using 1/2" foam; it would maybe fit if I was using 1/8" or 1/4" foam instead.

Also, the MLV roll that I bought was the perfect amount for the 4 doors of my car. I even have some left over that I may apply to the roof, eventually.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PHAHEEM
By the way...I left the entire roll of MLV unrolled in my garage over night and out in the sun while I worked on this project - and the smell of it has completely dissipated. The cabin of my car doesn't smell like it at all.

We'll see whether the smell will come out again on a hot day...

On a side note, I also had to remove a considerable amount of the foam that I had stuffed on the inside of the door panel itself, just to get the door panel to sit properly on the door again. Could be because I was using 1/2" foam; it would maybe fit if I was using 1/8" or 1/4" foam instead.

Also, the MLV roll that I bought was the perfect amount for the 4 doors of my car. I even have some left over that I may apply to the roof, eventually.

Very cool.

A layer of that on the floor would be great as well.

I'm getting ready to do an install on a friends car within the next few weeks. I think I may give the Home Dept stuff a try; something different.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:16 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by mechanix619
Very cool.

A layer of that on the floor would be great as well.

I'm getting ready to do an install on a friends car within the next few weeks. I think I may give the Home Dept stuff a try; something different.
Lol I thought the same thing, that a layer of that MLV on the floor will work wonders. But I'm done with major projects like this for a while, at least until the summer.

Yeah the Home Depot stuff is awesome - $30 for 8 ft x 4 ft.
If you spend ~$45 you'll get free shipping - this MLV roll is decently heavy.

In total I spent about $250 for the entire project + a lot of hours.
$150 for the Dynamat, about $80 in foam (a lot of which I had to scrap later on) and $30 for the MLV. Ironic that the MLV makes the biggest difference and costs the least.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And the MLV doesn't smell anymore? That'd be my only worry. SecondSkin Luxury Liner Pro doesn't smell, but its $180 for 4 sheets at 24" x 54" per sheet.

The bonus is that it has CCF bonded to the MLV.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:14 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by mechanix619
And the MLV doesn't smell anymore? That'd be my only worry. SecondSkin Luxury Liner Pro doesn't smell, but its $180 for 4 sheets at 24" x 54" per sheet.

The bonus is that it has CCF bonded to the MLV.
Nope, no smell so far. I think that by rolling it out over night then letting it bake in the sun while I worked on the project definitely helped. Granted the SecondSkin stuff has the MLV/CCF in one, that's a lot of money for such a small quantity.

Give the Home Depot stuff a try - they have a great return policy if you find it unsatisfactory. $30 for 8ft x 4ft!

In fact, I think the 24" on the SecondSkin stuff might be too small for most applications?
Old 01-25-2013, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It makes a difference
Old 01-26-2013, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just recently dynamatted the entire floor and hatch area in my 88 wagon and it didnt make that big of a difference audibly, i'd like to try that mat you put in behind the door cards
Old 01-26-2013, 09:26 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by dropdeadjay
i just recently dynamatted the entire floor and hatch area in my 88 wagon and it didnt make that big of a difference audibly, i'd like to try that mat you put in behind the door cards
Yeah I realized very quickly after I bought and installed Dynamat that it alone won't do the trick. You've gotta apply multiple layers of different stuff. Take a look at those sound deadener showdown links and you'll see why.

When doing my research I found a lot of links and DIYs that said that applying a ton of dynamat is a common misconception.

But try that MLV from Home Depot. It's very effective and considerably cheap