Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Calling ALARM INSTALLERS: Door actuator makes a buzzing noise when they lock

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling ALARM INSTALLERS: Door actuator makes a buzzing noise when they lock

got my alarm installed at bestbuy today and everything worked fine. started my car after work and when my doors locked i heard a loud BZZZZZZ from only ONE of my actuators. now i have lifetime waranty on my alarm from Bestbuy and i can just take it back but i was wondering if i can just fix it myself. save me the trouble of waiting 1-2 weeks for another appointment and waiting another 6 hours. help?

edit: alarm viper 350HV in 00 civic hatch.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Calling ALARM INSTALLERS: Door actuator makes a buzzing noise when they lock (JRizEJ6)

The buzz you heard was the accuator...it lost its limit switch ( ther polyswitch that tells it how far to go). They sshould cover that under warranty. I have had to replace several within days of installing them...i can't say if its product failure or
owner error. But remember HONDA'S typically have a lockout on the door
that keep you from locking yourself out...you have to raise the door handle to lock the door if its not shut...remember this. Also you can see if the shop can orderDEI 524n heavy duty door accuators if this becomes an issue.

ps it should only take @ worse 2 hr max to replace that motor. ( and im being gracious with the time)
Old 03-23-2005, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Calling ALARM INSTALLERS: Door actuator makes a buzzing noise when they lock (audioroach)

Anyone know any that dont go bad. Every set I have ever bought or installed go bad after 1-2 years. They strip out its a pain in th a$$ to keep changing them.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:03 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Calling ALARM INSTALLERS: Door actuator makes a buzzing noise when they lock (nsxxtreme)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxxtreme &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyone know any that dont go bad. Every set I have ever bought or installed go bad after 1-2 years. They strip out its a pain in th a$$ to keep changing them.</TD></TR></TABLE>My accuaters are in there 3rd car, they are 13 years old, they cost me $5 each CAN. although I have replaced more then a few defective ones, [ manu. defects] and a lot of improperly installed ones, they are like anything else you install in a car, installation is everything, also I have never used a doorlock motor, [accuarer] that had "limit" sw. in them, I don't think I have ever seen one, [ other then the 5wire centrel locking ones, and the sw. in them are trigger sw. not limit sw. they are probably out there, [ Spall maybe] I would guess His problem is a poor install, misaligned or misadjusted or one of the most common mistakes, not adjusting pulse time. 94
Old 03-23-2005, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Calling ALARM INSTALLERS: Door actuator makes a buzzing noise when they lock (fcm)

I may have it wrong...its whatever is used to limit the accuators travel in either
direction. I have had some do that right out of the package. I normally work the
motor back and forth a few times with a makita battery before mounting it to make
sure no issues arrise. i'll say this much...with the global market these days one really has no clue to whats in the package nowadays. Its all about the bottom line.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Calling ALARM INSTALLERS: Door actuator makes a buzzing noise when they lock (audioroach)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by audioroach &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i'll say this much...with the global market these days one really has no clue to whats in the package nowadays. Its all about the bottom line.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I think the global market is BS but I agree you don't know what your going to get. Every one I have bought has eventually failed. My truck seems to eat a lot of them.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Calling ALARM INSTALLERS: Door actuator makes a buzzing noise when they lock (nsxxtreme)

so can i fix this problem myself? or should i just bring it back to BB?
Old 03-23-2005, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Calling ALARM INSTALLERS: Door actuator makes a buzzing noise when they lock (JRizEJ6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRizEJ6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so can i fix this problem myself? or should i just bring it back to BB?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Take it back once you touch it you void the warranty
Old 03-23-2005, 02:55 PM

Were your actuators installed by BBY? The alarm only sends an activation signal to the existing actuators. If the actuator has gone bad, there may be nothing BBY can do for you. The warranty you have covers the Viper alarm and the installation of that alarm.

Now if they screwed up on the alarm installation, first of all the locks wouldn't work at all, and secondly that is covered by the warranty.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxxtreme &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Take it back once you touch it you void the warranty</TD></TR></TABLE>

woops didnt even think of that. so i guess its back to BB. thanks everyone.