Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Battery dead after sitting a day???

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery dead after sitting a day???

Ok so my battery dies after only a day of sitting. I know it must have a draw on it but im not sure how to figure out what is causing the draw. I have a rebuilt autozone duralast alternator, I have a new optima Yellow top battery. I have a 2000 wat amp. 3 bat cap capasitor batteries. Audiobahn crossover and capasitor. I know a gound could be causing it but a ground from where? I have a grounding kit for my motor it's off of ebay. It runs a whole bunch of wires off the negative battery terminal to the ground. The amp is grounded. I have some interior neons that are all grounded. The amp shuts off and none of the neons are staying on. Im going to go buy a load tester tommarow i just have no idea what im looking for, thanks.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:02 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Battery dead after sitting a day??? (Slacker87)

It's very doubtful that it's a grounding problem, it has to be a draw on the batt. or a bad batt.

It's easy to check, with the batt. fully charged, [it will start the car] disconnect it and let it sit for a day, the reconnect, if it still starts the car the batt. is OK and that means you have a draw, the first thing I would check is the amp and its power, maybe you have a bad "bat cap", pull the fuse on the power cable for the amp, if batt. still goes dead, the problem is not there, if it does not go dead, you know you have a problem on that circuit, maybe the amp or the "bat caps" or how about the Audiobahn x-over and and cap, [not sure I understand that, you have a cap on the x-over?] 94
Old 04-20-2006, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Battery dead after sitting a day??? (fcm)

Do you know where i can get a better alternator. Or how to test it??
Old 04-20-2006, 10:30 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Battery dead after sitting a day??? (Slacker87)

You can go to most any batt./alt. shop and have them do a load check, it only takes a min. and most do it for free.
You can do a simple test yourself, with nothing turned on in car and the motor running disconnect the batt. if the motor keeps running the alt. is working, then turn on the headlights, high beams, hazards, heater blower on high, rear window defog, and turn on the wipers and dome light and step on brake with the car in rev. if car motor keeps running the alt. output is at least very close to oem spec., [enough current to keep the oem electrical working] however it was never designed to also power a 2000W amp, [that would require up to and over 200A depending on amp, how loud it's played, and if that is 2000W RMS or max power.
There are a few HO alt. on eBay... http://search.ebay.com/high-ou...C0021 but again I would check at your local batt./alt. specialty shops.

Here are a couple of places to get "new" HO alt....

http://www.amplepower.com/products/alt/index.html

http://www.catonlimo.com/Merch...e=ALT

Hope this helps. 94