Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Avantguard 4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avantguard 4?

anyone have any experience with this particular unit? ive been looking into car security and it seems to have pretty much all the stuff im looking for. i especially like the blackjax system from reviews ive read. i dont know anything about car alarms but ive seen and heard references made to clifford alarms, so thats why i ended up with this. any help or input would be appreciated.

thnx
Old 05-25-2004, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Avantguard 4? (DMATKO)

It's a good alarm what else were you looking to know?
Old 05-25-2004, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Avantguard 4? (nsxxtreme)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxxtreme &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's a good alarm what else were you looking to know?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was about to ask about this same alarm. I'm in the market for an AG5 or Intelliguard 850 (probably going with the 850). I found a great installer who knows his stuff, but he only has the AG4 or 4th gen intelliguards (I think they go by 7000, 8000 and 9000).

Are the 4th gens comparable to the 5ths? Would the 9000 be equivilent to the 850? Should I just wait to get the newer models, or go with the 4ths? I want the best security, so I would like any commments by people who know their stuff
Old 05-25-2004, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Avantguard 4? (EX_AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX_AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I want the best security, so I would like any commments by people who know their stuff </TD></TR></TABLE>
read the OP's post at the top of the page
Old 05-25-2004, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Avantguard 4? (EGlovr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGlovr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
read the OP's post at the top of the page</TD></TR></TABLE>

Read it many, many times, as well as just about every security thread out there. I've got a bunch of layers, and I've done quite a bit to increase the security of my car. The alarm is the last piece of the puzzle.

I hate having people work on mycar, especially security, and this is a huge deal for me. I want the right system, and I want it done right. I'm having trouble finding accurate information about alarm systems though, so I could use some help. AG4 good enough, or try to find someone to put in an Intelliguard 850? Are most Clifford dealers good installers in general?
Old 05-25-2004, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if they're licensed Clifford dealers, my bet is that they know their chit. but everyone's different. if you're somewhat good with electronics, then diy. but keep in mind "an alarm is only as good as the install." if it were me, id opt for the AG5 ~$385 (www.adelcom.net/Clifford1.htm). have you read whats on http://www.clifford.com yet?
Old 05-25-2004, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EGlovr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGlovr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if they're licensed Clifford dealers, my bet is that they know their chit. but everyone's different. if you're somewhat good with electronics, then diy. but keep in mind "an alarm is only as good as the install." if it were me, id opt for the AG5 ~$385 (www.adelcom.net/Clifford1.htm). have you read whats on http://www.clifford.com yet?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, checked the Clifford site, it's okay, but I've been having trouble finding the G4 info. I think I'll just try finding somebody who can do the 850 for me. Maybe the dealer I found can, I still have to talk to the head alarm tech directly.

I've done about 6 or 7 alarms in my day, but I don't have the time to take a whole weekend for an install anymore. As much as I'd like to do it myself, it's just not possible. Since I've done a few, I can get a sense of how good the guy can install, since he can't just blow some tech jargon in my face, but I'm cautios because I want the best system and install that I can get.

The only difference I found between the AG5 and the 850 (from the clifford site) besides remote start is that the AG5 comes with a tilt/omni/prox sensors, and the 850 has only the omni/prox. I'll never use the remote start, so I figured the 850 with the add on of the tilt sensor would give the same protection... correct? If I can't get the 850, how does the 8000/9000/AG4 stack up?

Old 05-25-2004, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (EX_AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX_AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If I can't get the 850, how does the 8000/9000/AG4 stack up?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

IMO they all stack up the same. The installer is who offers you your security.

They need to come out with a security systems like Lexus has, which takes your fingerprint. They have no keys. Now that is one I would buy, something that is actually integrated into the computer of the car.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, the new MB's have that too. i saw it on cribs. wonder how you would get around that buying a used car...
Old 05-25-2004, 12:04 PM

Damn, lotta replies....thnx all, i really do appreciate the responses and will be lookin over and reading those notes. thanx again.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DMATKO)

Okay, it looks like I can get the Intelliguard 850 from my dealer. I have one last question. Does it come with the back up siren, or is that a seperate option?