Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Aarg, help! 791xv problems!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aarg, help! 791xv problems!

SORRY THIS IS SO LONG! lol

So a couple years ago I wired in a Viper 791xv and it had been working great (cept for the locks, but I'll get to that later). Now recently ( and coincidentally?) I had my windshield replaced, and my alarm slowly stopped responding over time.

At first after the new windshield (lol), it took a couple presses on the remote to set the alarm, but it WOULD arm. Then it got to the point where whatever button you pressed on the remote, it would wait like 30 seconds, then return the icon on the remote (single stick with ball on top) that apparently means the page was sent but the alarm didn't respond back. Replaced with a brand new battery in the remote, and it drained FAST...like within two days and on the second day the remote was wiggin' out, making a beeping i had never heard before while the BLANK battery icon was blinking on the remote.

Did a little Google'n and found some similar situations where a new remote fixed the problem. So I plopped down the $70 for a brand new remote. I followed the steps to program it on the back of the remote packaging to a "T" but NO DICE. (insert key to ON position, push valet button the number of times of the channel, plus one more and HOLD it, then pressed remote buttons) I tried channels 1, 2, 7, 11 (11 = remove all remotes from system?), etc, and nothing. Pressing any of the four front buttons on the new remote will result with the siren chirping immediately after each button press, but after letting go of the valet switch and removing the key...the remote reacts exactly as the old one did...blinking the "stick with a ball" icon and the ever-so-irritating BEEP-BEEP, BEEP-BEEP, BEEP-BEEP. I also tried pressing and pressing and holding the small round button on the back of the remote with a "P" on it, but nothing happens with the key in and holding the valet (the old remote doesn't have this "P" button, but identical otherwise). I tried repeatedly pushing the lock button (tried both remotes) while close to the car...and nothing.

I tried unplugging and plugging the antenna back in, but nothing. I followed the antenna wire itself from the brain to windshield and it is just how it was when it was working, with no visible damage. Something I should note if it makes any difference, is I did not retape the antenna itself to the top of the new windshield where it was located on the old windshield (and alarm was working) because I wanted to eventually reroute the antenna to the top of the back window/windshield. So temporarily, instead of running up the A-pillar, the antenna and excess wire is loosely sitting on top of my dash behind my cluster (1990 Civic sedan). I know you're not supposed to tightly bunch the antenna wire, so I tried extending the wire (not physically lengthening it, but) with the actual antenna on the front passenger seat....but the remote still wouldn't respond.

Disconnected the car battery and reconnected numerous times...didn't do anything. I have the (520t?) backup battery installed if it makes any difference... There's a little red LED that blinks every like FIVE seconds in the [clear housing of the] Stinger shock sensor that I've never noticed before...is this normal?

For now, I plugged in a leftover DEI Rattler 250 alarm into my existing wiring/harness, and the Rattler works perfectly as it should...sooo...this makes me think it has to be the 791's brain or antenna?

Any ideas or tips or tricks when adding new remotes to a system???

************************************************** ************************************************** *********

UNRELATED door lock issue:

It was my understanding that I could wire the small gauge (same size as LED and valet switch wires) blue and green wires (have their own dedicated small plug on the brain) DIRECTLY to my vehicle's door lock wires, because the 791 was supposed to have "on board relays?" Apparently not, cause they've never worked...

It was a long time ago that I did the install, but IIRC, I went straight to the wires in the door because the door lock control box is located INSIDE the driver's door...

Now that I think about it, I feel pretty stupid for thinking the tiny wire could put out enough current to lock and unlock the doors. So maybe...are those wires for when the vehicle already has KEYLESS ENTRY, and the wires simulate the pulses or whatever that a factory fob would put out?

anyways, THANKS FOR READING, and thanks in advance for any insight or help!
Old 01-15-2011, 02:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Aarg, help! 791xv problems!

That antenna wont pick up a signal behind your cluster. The routing of the antenna wire and the placement of the actual antenna will determine the reception your paging system will respond to.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The 22GA blue and green door lock wires can be tapped into factory power door lock wires. You can get the lock/unlock wires at the harness usually found behind the drivers kick panel. You dont need to go to the door lock relay box behind the door panel.

It would help to know what car all this is installed into.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EnjoyTheRideDC2
That antenna wont pick up a signal behind your cluster. The routing of the antenna wire and the placement of the actual antenna will determine the reception your paging system will respond to.
I appreciate the response, but I think my issue is more than a lack of range. Even if the antenna and the remote are physically touching, I can't get them to communicate...

Originally Posted by EnjoyTheRideDC2
The 22GA blue and green door lock wires can be tapped into factory power door lock wires. You can get the lock/unlock wires at the harness usually found behind the drivers kick panel. You dont need to go to the door lock relay box behind the door panel.

It would help to know what car all this is installed into.
As stated, it's a 1990 Civic sedan, EX model. I havd Helms and Electrical Troubleshooting manuals for the car, and to be honest, I might have connected them in the driver kick panel but its been a couple years...either way, I can figure out where my error is in the wiring as lon% as i know I can connect the small wires to my harness without using a relay. Thanks!
Old 01-17-2011, 07:16 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Relays are not required fo door lock operation, all that is needed is a low current, [less thn 250mA] ground pulse to the door lock/unlock leads of the power door lock control unit, if they never worked I would guess you are connected to the wrong leads.

As for the rest I would try another ant. 94
Old 01-19-2011, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a similar problem a while back. The remote would send but the alarm would never get the signal/respond. Turned out there was a break in either the send or receive wire (not sure which color is which) for the antenna right at the pin. I had to depin the connector and stip and solder the wire back in place. Just doing a visual inspect on the wires didn't reveal anything. It was just a tiny break and was almost impossible to see. Using a multi meter i was able to track down the problem.
take your antenna wire out and make sure you get continuity to both ends on each wire. the middle 2 are for power and ground and the outer 2 are send/receive.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For the door locks you need 2 relays atleast I did. I did not have power locks on my 91 civic dx so I installed the dei lock accuators and I needed to use 2 relays to do so. note I also have the 791xv but I never had any problems like your having and hope I don't lol
Old 01-20-2011, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the input, fellas.

I'll test continuity on the antenna tomorrow. I thought I had another antenna (Hornet HX antenna - looks like a bluetooth earpiece) that I could try, but turns out it won't work with the 791xv...

I should note, that with the Rattler 250 alarm that I'm temporarily using, I found that if the alarm was triggered, it wouldn't forget and recycle with the ignition. Zone 3 for the door was flashing while the car was running and unarmed...I'm gonna look into my ignition wire connection...