Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

Tippyman's Project Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tippyman's Project Thread

Drag Strip Video: (View in "original size" for best quality.)
http://video.google.com/videop...41882

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page 6: Photoshoot!

Old Google Video: (View in "original size" for best quality.)
http://video.google.com/videop...27930

Old StreetFire.net Video:
http://videos.streetfire.net/v...5.htm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I've officially started modding my 91 Std. Civic Hatch!

The first order of business was to get rid of that ridiculous 4x4 stance and those awful mudflaps! Some H&R Sport Springs took care of that!

<u>Before:</u>

<u>After:</u>

Much nicer! Now on to other issues...

My engine as of now is pretty much screwed. It is only running on 3 cylinders. I think that the previous owner broke a timing belt, causing the valves to bend or break and rather than fixing it he sold it to me!
To top it all off, my distributor bearings are shot, which causes my distributor shaft to overheat. Which, in turn, caused my rotor to melt and eventually fried my TDC sensor. Without a TDC sensor, my ECU threw a code and my car consequently went into limp mode.

So, needless to say, I have decided to go ahead and try my hand at my first engine swap!

A SOHC ZC engine fresh from H Motors has already been ordered and is on the way!

I've already started getting things ready for the swap. I picked up an Injector Resistor Box from a DA Integra LS I found at the junkyard, because my car is DPFI and the ZC is MPFI.

The resistor box, however, looked like ***. It was rusted, pitted, and looked like a twinkie .

So I thought I'd spruce it up a little.

<u>Mid-Polish</u>

<u>Polished With Wire-Wheel</u>

<u>Sanded With 150 Grit</u>

It looks much better now! (For a twinkie, that is...)

The new engine needed a new computer so I bought a PM6 ECU off of E-Bay. Because the SOHC ZC is essentially a D16A6, this computer will work nicely. Maybe down the road a little chipping will give it better fuel management.

And, just for the hell of it I got a shift **** off of that junkyard LS.

<u>***UPDATE 3/27/06***</u>

I de-pinned a few ECU plugs I picked up off of a '90 DX Civic. (https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1573760)

I can now use these pins for any wiring I need to do at the ECU.

Also, be careful when De-pinning...

<u>***UPDATE 3/28/06***</u>

I "Gunked" my engine bay in preparation of the new engine. I figured, the less grease and mess, the better it will be to work on.

So, two cans of gunk and 30 min's later I had a (semi) clean engine bay!

Notice the plastic bags covering the battery tray and the distributor.

<u>***ANOTHER UPDATE 3/28/06***</u>

I went around and got some more stuff I needed for the swap:

<u>NGK Plugs</u>

These plugs are top of the line...

<u>Distributor Cap and Rotor</u>

<u>Oil Filter</u>

<u>Spark Plug Wires</u>

<u>My Ricey Valve-Cover Breather</u>

<u>"1 Quart Suction Gun"</u>

This is for filling my transmission with fluid once it's back on the car.

<u>Coolant</u>

I already got a bunch of 5W-30 Oil, but I still need to find some Penzoil Synchromesh Transmisison Fluid.

<u>***UPDATE 3/31/06***</u>

I picked up the engine today from HMO. Everything looks good from what I can see. It's all wrapped up in plastic and I'm not unwrapping it until I get it off the back of my Dad's truck.

I took the car over to my girlfriend's house and me and her little brother got it on jacks and ready to start working on tomorrow!

<u>***UPDATE 4/1/06***</u>

I've been working on the car this afternoon. I removed the hood and then I got the intake assembly out, battery tray out, cat, downpipe, splash sheilds, and I drained the oil and coolant.

The biggest part of the day was getting the engine outta the back of my dad's truck. The engine hoist was broken so we had to "fix" it. A lot of electrical tape and two hose clamps later, it worked well enough to use. So, I've got the engine pulling underway and the new engine sitting by ready to go in!

<u>***UPDATE 4/2/06***</u>

I got the entire wiring harness and all of the ground wires off of the motor. I also drained the tranny fluid and removed the throttle cable. She's getting closer to being removed!

<u>Wiring Harness:</u>

Notice the blue labels. I labelled all the connectors so it would be easier to transfer to the ZC motor.

<u>***UPDATE 4/5/06***</u>

I got to work on the car a little today. I managed to pull the axles off and remove the shift linkage stabilizer bar. I also unwrapped the engine and checked it out. Everything looks great! I came with the whole wiring harness which I was worried about. Now I have the right plugs if I need them.

<u>Axles out of car:</u>

BTW: Some people seem to have problems with the ball joints. This link has a tutorial that works PERFECT and it is simple as hell: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=887859 (I used a 26 mm box-end wrench instead of a 1/2 inch socket wrench. It doesn't really matter what you use, so long as it fits snug when the hub is jacked all the way up.)

<u>Engine:</u>

ZC Baby!

<u>Exhaust A-Pipe:</u>

I requested that I be sent the entire exhaust manifold, and HMO came through! I checked, and it bolts right up to my cat! I am stoked that I can use the actual ZC header on the ZC motor instead of modding my nasty Std. one or going after market.

On Friday I am going to try to get that bitch pin out and take off all the radiator, coolant, and fuel hoses. Then I'll be ready to pull the engine and bolt the ZC in this weekend!

<u>***UPDATE 4/7/06***</u>

Well, today I really got some major progress done. The engine is finally out! What I thought was going to be a fairly simple pull turned out to be a bit of a headache. First problem was the bitch pin, which didn't wanna come out for anything.
So I decided to just unbolt it from the shifter. What I didn't realize is that it would hit the crossmember when we tried to pull the engine. So we had to lower the car, move the passenger side jackstand, and pull the linkage all the way to the side so it would clear. It finally did and we pulled the motor.
(The fact that the lift kept leaking fluid and we had to add more quickly or risk dropping the engine didn't help either...)

<u>Engine sitting on nothing but mounts and ready to get pulled out:</u>

I found out the radiator fan had to go or the header would hit it on the way out. So off it came.

And once that was done, out it came! (Eventually )

<u>The old, P.O.S. D15B1:</u>

Unfortunately, the weatherman is saying it will rain tomorrow so I covered the car and the new engine sitting near it, and called it a night. Hopefully I will at least be able to get some work done on it tomorrow...

<u>***UPDATE 4/8/06***</u>

Got a little bit of work done today. We managed to fix the lift. Replaced the hose and fittings, clamped it all down, and now it's good to go. (I hope). I started to put the stock wiring harness on the motor. Everything is going good except for the O2 sensor and one of the distributor sensors. I gotta figure those out.

The engine was out of an automatic car, so it still had the torque converter and flex plate attatched. Those were quickly removed.

<u>Torque Converter:</u>

Because there was no clutch, the clutch input pilot bearing wasn't there. I picked up one of those (a nice roller one, not a crappy brass one). Tomorrow I will get the tranny off of the old engine and bolt it onto the new engine as well as get most of the wiring sorted out. I hate wiring already...

<u>***UPDATE 4/9/06***</u>

Well, the update that everyone has been waiting for is here! The new engine is in! All mounts have been bolted down, all coolant hoses, vacuum lines, fuel line, throttle cable, clutch cable and some wiring has been hooked up. Any vacuum lines not needed have been plugged. The tranny is in but I still need to connect the shift linkage and shift linkage stabilizer and put in the axles.

Tomorrow I'll be trying to finish the wiring and the other misc. stuff that needs to be done. If I can get the wiring done, then wish me luck cause I'm gonna try to fire it up!

<u>Engine In! </u>

It's even got working AC hooked up!

The pics are obviously before I started hooking stuff up, but you get the idea.
Wish me luck for tomorrow!

<u>***UPDATE 4/10/06***</u>

Today I managed to get some work done on the car. I figured out where the negative battery terminal wire went, and hooked that up. (Finally! I felt like such an idiot...) Then I got the axles back in and hooked up all the suspension parts. I got the header bolted onto engine, but then I ran into a problem. While the header may bolt up to the cat, it was about three inches away from it! Me and my girlfriend's dad came up with a solution. We cut the exhaust pipe about 6 inches after the cat on the straight section.

<u>Cut Catalytic Converter:</u>

I went to Advance Auto Parts and picked up a 1.75" to 1.75" coupler and an exhaust clamp.

<u>Coupler and Clamp:</u>

This should allow up to add the neccesary three inches onto the exhaust pipe but still allow me to slide the cat around to meet the header correctly. If I just welded it on, it would allow for no movement. in the end it will look like this:

The part of the coupler against the cat side will be welded on, and the part of the coupler against the muffler side will be clamped after it is in the right position.

<u>***UPDATE 4/11/06***</u>

I managed to get all the wiring done today. After some difficulty with the distributor and TPS, that is. I had to get a little creative with the dizzy plug, lol. I also got the Injector Resistor Box mounted and wired in. Here's some pix of the car as it stands now:

<u>The ECU before I started hacking:</u>

<u>Injector Resistor Box Mounted:</u>

<u>Injectors wired up:</u>

<u>Always label your wires!</u>

<u>Air Intake On:</u>

It took a little creative surgery to get it to fit on the new Intake Manifold. Nothing a little sawzall action couldn't handle!

Exhaust is still waiting to be welded:

<u>My Creative Dizzy "Plug":</u>

I used crimp-on quick disconnects from Radio Shack so that if I needed to take the dizzy off I could. Usually people use an Si plug, but the junkyards around here are crap and had none. Who needs a plug?!

<u>***UPDATE 4/12/06***</u>

<FONT SIZE="5">CAR IS RUNNING!!!</FONT>

I filled the engine with oil and coolant, changed the filter, changed spark plug wires, plugs, distributor cap, rotor, and connected the shift linkage and shift linkage stabilizer.

I didn't have the exhaust welded up yet, so it was open header for now. I plugged in the new ECU and turned the key. It started up on the first crank! Man did that thing sound frickin' loud! I took it for a quick drive round the neighborhood just to let the neighbors know I finished the swap

I had a CEL for a code 10 for the IAT Sensor (Intake Air Temperature Sensor). I realized I had the wrong plug on it, so I lengthened the right plug and plugged it up! No more CEL! She runs like a dream now...

<u>***Another UPDATE 4/12/06*** </u>

Got the exhaust bolted up, she's not as loud as Normandy on D-day anymore...

<u>***UPDATE 4/19/06***</u>

I started tearing down the old engine to part it out. (I'll be making a for sale thread soon, with inventory of everything I have, so watch out!)

I got the exhaust manifold off, head off, crank pulley and tensioner and water pump off, T-belt covers off, etc. I'm gonna delve into the internals tomorrow or friday . So, if anyone needs some D series parts, the block, splash sheilds, those mudflaps I took off , bolts, etc., let me know! I'm parting out everything!

<u>Engine Before:</u>

<u>Engine After:</u>

Notice the parts all neatly stacked underneath on top of plastic. Everything will be cleaned and re-cleaned before selling. So they look like new!

<u>***Update 4/20/06***</u>

Engine Teardown Complete!

<U>***UPDATE 5/1/06***</U>

I went to the local pick and pull to get a lip for the Civic. I found a cool one from a V6 Acura Vigor or Legend or something. I held it up to an EF on the lot and it fit with minor trimming on the edges. Also, on the Civic I test fitted it on, there were a set of nice looking rear mudflaps! I had the set of fronts I removed sitting around and thought, hey, my car wouldn't look all that bad with a full set or flaps on it! So I picked those up.

The best part was, the whole set only cost me $0.70!!! That's right 70 CENTS!!!

Brought the whole set home and stuck them in the bathtub! Yes, that's my toilet in the pic.

The lip is cool, it flares out wider at the end kinda like a mugen lip:

Tomorrow I'm taking off the bumpers and painting them along with the trim peices so that they aren't so faded.

<U>***UPDATE 5/2/06***</U>

Front bumper is off. I decided not to do that rear bumper, and just to mask it off. The front kinda needed to be removed though...

First I had to undo the headlights and turn signals. Then I removed that "filler" peice between the hood and the bumper. You can't get to the screws without doing this, so off it came:

Then I finally could get to the screws that held on the bumper. And off it came!

And then I bolted up the headlights and turn signals and I was good to go! It's gonna look good finally painted along with the rest of the trim.

<U>***UPDATE 5/3/06***</U>

Got the lip installed and started painting! The lip needed a little modding to get it to fit. It was about 3 inches too wide, so I just forced it, clamped it, screwed it on and called it a day! Worked great! Clamping the corners in position first and then screwing it in really helped.

<U>Clamped on:</U>

I just forced the corners into place and then clamped it. Once the self-tapping screws and washers were on, I took off the clamps and voila! I got me a lip!

This is the paint I used. It works awesome!

<U>Fumes getting to me: </U>

<U>My high-tech paint booth: </U>

<U>After two coats and cutting excess lip off:</U>

The paint is not glossy, it only looks like that because it is still wet. You can really see how good the lip came out in this pic!

<U>***UPDATE 5/4/06***</U> (Yes, I know the update is late... )

I masked off the entire car and finished painting the rest of the trim. It looks awesome! Maybe tomorrow I will get some shots with the real digi-cam after a nice wash. On with the pics!

<U>Masked off side trim and rear bumper:</U>

Let the painting begin!

<U>Masked off the window trim after side trim dried:</U>

It looks sooo good after drying. This was all done at like 12:30 at night , so the following morning I removed the rest of the masking tape and plastic. I am so happy with how the lip turned out also. Looks amazing...

<U>***UPDATE 5/29/06***</U>

Not really an update, but I just wanted to show some "finished product" pics of the lip. Gave the car a nice wash n' wax, so here she is!

So, I need to borrow a digi-cam, I know, but I think she looks pretty damn good for a '91!

BTW: Look what the UPS man brought me!

Apexi WS II Exhaust! WOOT! I just gotta get my header and test pipe and it's all going on! Hehe, can't wait.

<U>***UPDATE 6/1/06***</U>

I went out and bought jdm_ef3's Si tranny, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, and Si Flywheel. The 4.250 final drive and five gears (Vs. my stock trannies four gears) should be really nice...

<U>Clutch w/ Flywheel attached:</U>

It's not rust, it's painted orange.

<U>Tranny:</U> (Shitty pix, I know...)

<U>Hardware:</U>

I gotta get a header and test pipe, and then EVERYTHING is going in at once. I should be able to feel quite a difference!

<U>***UPDATE 6/3/06***</U>

This was ordered last night off of RobearRacing.com:

<U>Megan Racing Header:</U>

The stock header for the SOHC ZC is actually not that bad! It's a tubular header! However, the flange is a JDM one, (of course) and won't bolt up to my cat. (Correctly, that is. It's working now, but kinda crooked and with a MAJOR buzzing exhaust leak ) So, I am getting an Omni Power Test Pipe from DA-nteg so that when I am just normally riding around, I can have the performance I want, but when inspection time comes, the stock cat will bolt up to the header! It's perfect!

I'll probably lose a little power down low, but will gain up top where it counts!

<U>***UPDATE 6/19/06***</U>

I went out and got some flange's for the test pipe that I now have to make! The Omni Power seller backed out, so I gotta fab up my own! I had a little trouble finding them, but got them at Napa! Who'da thunk it?

I immediately have a problem though. The donut gasket on the header (or whatever it's called) makes the flange stick out quite a bit!

The Flange:

The Donut Gasket:

And, putting the two together:

I think that all it needs is to be tightened down REAL tight with the exhaust bolts. Wudya think?

Here's a pic of the flange on the header without the donut gasket:

Fit's real flush!

The exhaust pipe flange actually fits awesome, thank God.

What should I do about the header flange?

<U>***UPDATE 6/27/06***</U>

I got the header and exhaust on! Due to the shitty rain, I doubt I'll be able to put the tranny on tomorrow.

But here's the pix for today!

First order of business was to get the old exhaust manifold off. That sucked! It's a good thing I never put it together correctly to begin with or it would have been really tough!

New header on:

Here's a real testament to Megan Racing. It bolted up PERFECTLY with the stock exhaust system and fit with NO problems. Here's to the nay-sayers

Perfect fit. Then I go and mess with it some more...

Then I had to pull off the stock exhaust.

Looks so puny compared to my new one! (1.75" vs. 2.36" )

New exhaust:

Bit of a gap there, we'll fix that later!

I was a bit concerned that due to the age of the exhaust hanger that the muffler would sit crooked like I've seen in so many pix, but it sits absolutely parrallel to the bumper. Looks great! I couldn't be happier!

Now to fill in that gap! I measured, measured, and measured one more time then broke out the saw-zall!

Here's the un-welded test pipe mocked up:

That last pic shows how I marked the correct clocking. Not only do you need the corect length, but you need the flanges to be rotated correctly in relation to each other.

So, as soon as the test pipe gets welded, I can bolt it all up and let her rip! I took her out on open header just for the hell of it, and wow, that was loud!

<U>***UPDATE 7/10/06***</U>

Just bought this off of eBay: It was only $30 shipped, so I figured why the hell not, beats my ghetto-rigged intake and will give me a couple horses.

<U>***UPDATE 7/14/06***</U>

I received my BPE (Bitch Pin Extraction) tool in the mail today. I am getting ready to put my Si tranny in and didn't wanna risk having problems with the Bitch Pin like I had last time. I got a limited time budget, so I need everything to go smoothly.

Tony at Cheap Trix Racing hooked me up! Very innovative little tool...

No more lost bitch pins and no more frustration from not getting the Roll Pin Punch to work. (Didn't work 4 me... )

<U>The Tool:</U>

The punch pushes the pin right into the little cylinder, so it comes out nice and easy and isn't flung across the garage!

Expect a tranny install soon!

<U>***UPDATE 7/17/06***</U>

My intake came today! I had it installed in no time! I didn't really feel that much of a difference, but man did I hear it! It screams now...

My girlfriend (who is a big time mustang *****, a.k.a., never impressed with my car at all...) said "Wow, that sounds awesome!" That means the Ebay intake gets a big from me!

<U>***UPDATE 8/2/06***</U>

I removed the Charcoal Canister just for the hell of it, and to clear up some space.

<U>***UPDATE 8/18/06***</U>

Well, a long overdue update. I got some goodies! Some for speed, some for the hell of it.

Autometer Carbon Fiber A/F Guage installed! I didn't have a cigarette ligher anyway so I figured I could stick it in there. Looks clean and out of the way. It's still visable so I can keep an eye on whether I go lean. It's pretty much useless during normal driving, but when you floor the gas, it'll tell you whether you're running rich or lean or stoich. nothing more, nothing less. And that's all I need...

I also got a center console and a GSR leather shift boot! Here it is all mocked up. I need to paint it black as it is an ugly poop brown color.

And here it is, an actual Si transmission. Finally! I did these two tests on it before bringing it home, lol.

Junk in da Trunk!

<U>***UPDATE 9/1/06***</U>

Started the tranny install! Should be finished with it tomorrow.

Surgical area exposed:

Dizzy and clutch cable removed:

All suspension components and axles removed:

Starter out. BTW: Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch and Si flywheel that's gonna get my power to the ground once the nitrous kit gets here.

All tranny mounts removed and the engine supported with a jack:

Look whats sitting in the trunk!

That's as far as I got today. The tranny is completely seperated, I just gotta undo the bolts holding it to the motor and I'll slide her out! I didn't wanna leave it unbolted cause it could bend the shaft.

I was actually pretty pleased, the whole process only took me 3 hours. I'm getting better at this, lol.

<U>***UPDATE 9/2/06***</U>

The old tranny is out! Peice of cake other than that goddamn bitch pin!!!

**** top speed and gas mileage!

Yay for pure acceleration!

While I had all mounts out I decided to make them pure solid mounts. 3M Windo-Weld is a urethane polymer that stiffens up motor mounts really well. Just fill in all the gaps with it and 24 hrs later you have wheel-hop killing solid mounts!

Doesn't look pretty but it works!

The new tranny has been fully prepped for install and is ready to go! I think I may just do it tomorrow cause I want to give the mounts time to cure properly.

<U>***UPDATE 9/6/06***</U>

I ordered my nitrous kit today! I decided to go with a H-T sponsor instead of Summit Racing. Plus, they had much better prices! For Titan Motorsports! https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1736417

Here's the kit I went with:

The only thing about the kit I don't like is the fact that it is push button activation. A buddy of mine says he has some WOT switches laying around, so I'll see if I can snag one off of him.

Now I just gotta order the rest of my safety features and I'll be ready to spray!

<U>***UPDATE 9/7/06***</U>

Look what came in the mail today!

Titan Motorsports

I also got the car stripped down and ready for the track on saturday. I changed the oil out with full synthetic and adjusted the clutch to help me shift faster.

<U>***ANOTHER UPDATE 9/7/06***</U>

Even though I won't be running it this weekend, I mounted the bottle just for the hell of it. Looks pretty damn sexy.

Underside view. I was afraid that the tiny little nuts would dig into the floorboard too harshly, so I added some big *** washers. Due to the shape of the floorboard, they sit a little crooked, but work really well.

Once I have the <FONT COLOR="green">$$$</FONT> for the rest of my safety features, I'll drill the hole for the nitrous feed line and then install the rest of the stuff.

<U>***UPDATE 9/9/06***</U>

Well, I just got back from the strip!

I am <U>VERY</U> pleased!

My best slip of the day:

<U>R/T:</U> .618
<U>60':</U> 2.308
<U>330:</U> 6.522
<U>1/8: </U> 10.035
<U>MPH:</U> 69.03
<U>1000:</U> 13.051
<U>1/4: </U> 15.590
<U>MPH:</U> 90.13

I was aiming for low 16's, high 15's because I have shitty street tires and have never drag raced before. Needless to say, I was stoked to get a mid 15 pass.

My brother took video of all my passes, and I'll post pics of the slips If you want.

Wutcha think?

<U>***Update 9/14-15/06***</U>

Well, I managed to get one of my new seats in tonight.

Before I say anything else, let me say, NEVER TRY TO PUT A CRX SEAT IN A HATCH! It was a complete ******* and I had to custom make brackets. Thank God my Dad had a bunch of scrap metal and bars laying around. Unfortunately he had no power saw so I had to hack-saw everything. Nothing bolted up right, and I had to eventually come to a choice: sliders or safety.

I went with safety, but unfortunately, the sliders don't work anymore. No big loss, it still reclines. Looks awesome, by the way. The seats were in great condition, thanks MooGoCow3! I picked up some Blue Coral stuff with a brush on the lid to really scrub any remaining crap outta them.

Pix!

Notice a bit of a difference?

Black with red stiching = sexy.

<U>***Update 9/19/06***</U>

I made some progress in the bay today. I wrapped all the wiring in loom and then made some brackets for the nitrous soldenoids. The soldenoids and brackets are going to be painted flat black. Then the fuel and nitrous lines will be covered in wiring loom so nothing looks suspicious.

<U>BEFORE:</U>

<U>AFTER:</U>

Soldenoids Brackets:

<U>***UPDATE 9/21/06***</U>

Me and MooGoCow3 did some work on the car today. Got my valves adjusted and all nice. No more ticking! Did my brakes, pedal feel is so much better. We also did a compression test on the engine to see how healthy it was for the upcoming spray.

<FONT SIZE="4">210, 210, 211, 210.</FONT>

Doesn't get any freaking better than that does it?!

I also assembled the nitrous soldenoids and hoses and Piranah nozzle. Gonna mount it tomorrow. Everything is getting wrapped. Supa stealth.

<U>***UPDATE 9/24/06***</U>

Got my AC removed today. The compressor is still on there though, it was being an *******. I'll have to get the car in the air and get it from underneath. Another day...

Here's all the **** that came out:

<U>***UPDATE 10/20/06***</U>

I finished my nitrous install!

Fuel line spliced in:

Nitrous and Fuel supply lines ran to soldenoids:

Wrapped ntrous supply line in wire loom:

Single fogger mounted:

Again, wrapped in wire loom:

Mounted:

Arming switch:

I just gotta wire it all up and the kit itself is done.

Now, all the engine needs is some more fuel and safety features. I ordered a Cometic Headgasket and ARP Headstuds from Autoworks. Then I'll get the rest of the **** to go on, and she'll be ready to spray!

<U>***UPDATE 10/25/06***</U>

Got my ARP Headstuds and Cometic HG today.

Can't wait to start getting this thing going!

<U>***UPDATE 11/1/06***</U>

I got the wiring diagram done, so it'll be ready to be all wired up once I get the window switch.

<U>***UPDATE 11/4/06***</U>

Went to the drag strip again today along with teamlegacy. My car was doing absolutely amazing.

I adjusted the clutch again, so I was able to shift lightning fast this time. Got my 60 ft. time down, and as a result, my ET and MPH did better also. The car was hooking up awesome for the shitty, $40, 185 wide tires I have on there. This was way more than I ever expected. BTW: Still haven't sprayed it yet!

<U>The Slip:</U>

<U>R/T:</U> .703
<U>60':</U> 2.215
<U>330:</U> 6.230
<U>1/8: </U> 9.573
<U>MPH:</U> 73.73
<U>1000:</U> 12.434
<U>1/4: </U> 14.870
<U>MPH:</U> 91.93

Hell yeah, SOHC ZC in the 14's.

Car had no hitches except for the rad cap. I need a high pressure one, lol. Can't wait to get the nitrous installed, it's going to be faster than I anticipated...

<U>***UPDATE 11/6/06***</U>

Ordered these tonight:

MSD Digital Window Switch:

Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump:

NGK BKR7E-11 Spark Plugs:

<U>***UPDATE 11/11/06***</U>

Almost finished the ARP and Cometic install. Took about 6 hours to get to where I am now. Ugh...

I began by stripping anything off that would stop the head from lifting off of the block. (Coolant hoses, plugs, distributor, braces, etc.) The timing belt was an absolute *******. I couldn't get the crank pulley off, so I couldn't get the lower timing belt cover off, so I couldn't undo the tensioner, so I couln't get the belt off.

Eventually I had to destroy my lower t-belt cover . I figure what I'll do is get a new one from Honda ASAP and then use my GF's Dad's impact wrench to get the pulley off and re-install it.

Anyway, on to the shitty pix...

When I finally managed to get the head off. (Notice the mangled T-belt cover. )

Look at those rockers! Clean enough to eat off of!

ARP's and Cometic HG just waiting to go on:

ARP's installed:

ARP's and the Cometic HG installed:

As it sits now, the head is sitting on top of the block, not torqued down. I am going to do that tomorrow. That's all for me today...

<U>***UPDATE 11/12/06***</U>

Finished the headgasket and ARP install!!!

Mangled T-belt cover

The T-belt was an absolute pain in the *** again. It wouldn't stay tight! My Helms got soaked in the rain last night, so I had to rely on Honda-Tech to figure it out. (Talk about scary, lol. ) I eventually got it though. She runs fine now! I had a few codes to iron out (mixing up a couple plugs, no biggie) and then she was straight.

<U>***UPDATE 11/13/06***</U>

I just ordered brand new OEM t-belt covers.

I got #'s 1, 2, & 3.

<U>***UPDATE 11/20/06***</U>

Car is officially working again, here's a picture of the cam gear actually spinning!

I picked up some 14" steelies and stripped them bare today. Guess what's gonna go on them?

<U>***UPDATE 11/22/06***</U>

Got the steelies sanded and primed.

5 points go to whoever can guess the final color!

<U>***UPDATE 11/25/06***</U>

Old fuel pump is out. New one is going in after work tomorrow.

<U>***UPDATE 12/8/06***</U>

I tested the nitrous tonight. Holy ******* shitty monkeyballs. I almost blew the bitch up.

My only guess is the the fuel soldenoid somehow did not kick on. I sprayed in second, it revved to about 5k, and wouldn't go any higher. When I backed off, it died. I let the clutch out and it started again (Like you were push starting it.) but ran like ***. I pulled over, yanked the plugs, and look what I saw:

Cylinder 1:

(Yes, that is the ground strap TOUCHING the electrode!!!)

Cylinder 2:

Cylinder 3:

Cylinder 4:

As you can see, I must have been detonating pretty damn hard because it blew the ground straps clear off! The only reason that cyl. 1 didn't blow off I am guessing is because it's the furthest away from the TB.

I limped it home and threw my old NGK's in and she runs perfectly. Guess it wasn't detonating long enough to **** the pistons up.

The only thing I can think of is that the fuel soldenoid didn't activate, and I sprayed a 75 shot of nitrous with no fuel to compensate. The old plugs, when I pulled them out, were really brown cause I am running rich due to the timing retard and PG7 ECU. So I know it wasn't running lean before.

I am going to go over the fuel soldenoid wiring tomorrow and check to see if anything is amiss. After the one-over, I'll test it by just spraying it into the air to see if fuel comes out. I'm making sure it is spraying plenty of fuel before trying again...

<U>***UPDATE 1/11/07***</U>

I got some parts for my upcoming turbo build.

Fast-turbo.com vacuum log and oil line kit.

I will add updates on the swap progress and other misc. stuff as it comes!

Modified by Tippyman at 9:39 PM 1/11/2007
Old 03-25-2006, 10:04 PM

Default Re: Tippyman's Project Thread (Tippyman)

well good luck with your swap and welcome to the world of modding and tuning
Old 03-26-2006, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Tippyman's Project Thread (migizzel)

Hands down the prettiest resistor box I've ever seen.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:51 PM

looks like your off to a good start
Old 03-26-2006, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 03-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you gonna sell those mudflaps? lol are they stock?
Old 03-26-2006, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice progress, and as i always say, please keep updates posted!
Old 03-26-2006, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sLcREX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sLcREX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you gonna sell those mudflaps? lol are they stock?</TD></TR></TABLE>

They are the stock front mudflaps for a 91 civic Std.

They're a little scratched obviously due to the fact that they are mudflaps.

PM me if u are really interested.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mahatma &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hands down the prettiest resistor box I've ever seen.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lol, someone told me i should paint it yellow so it really does look like a twinkie!
Old 03-26-2006, 06:31 PM

Default Re: (Tippyman)

yay a modded 91 std, my same exact vehicle, only yours is in a lot better condition than mine (rust, body, frame etc...) how much did u spend total on that zc? and how long did the swap take? and for that mpfi swap, i thought you did not need the resister box going mpfi? or is that when you go obd1?

but ya gooooood luck man, im looking at my future car right now if you could.... either like video tape your speedomoter 0-60, or like stopwatch it or something, cuz i wanna know how big of a difference it is going from 60 hp with a 4 speed to a 120ish hp engine with a (im hoping u got a 5 speed). and yes i know your speedomoter doesnt actually mean your doing that same speed as what it sais, because of traction issues and such.

but anyway, keeep the mods coming man

go std!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-26-2006, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bjorn20)

This is my Project Thread. I haven't gotten the swap in yet. When everything is done and accounted for I will post a price list.

I will continue with updates as they occur!
Old 03-26-2006, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you got it goin on man, best of luck with the swap. And replace all those annoying seals while the engine is out (I.E, rear main, timing belt and water pump). Trust me, it saves much work.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well I was looking more towards a whole set lol, and only if they'll fit a sedan

Edit: If you do paint it yellow, you should put little white stains on each end so it looks like filling lol
Old 03-26-2006, 10:08 PM
The Boot

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tippyman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The first order of business was to get rid of that ridiculous 4x4 stance and those awful mudflaps! Some H&R Sport Springs took care of that!
</TD></TR></TABLE>should of kept the mudflaps mang...they are pretty useful. Thats why someone is already hitting you up for them!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mahatma &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hands down the prettiest resistor box I've ever seen.</TD></TR></TABLE>I have to agree. Looks like you wanted to clean it up a bit then got carried away with trying to make it looks BLING BLANG! I'll PayPal you with $5 if you paint that **** yellow.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tippyman's Project Thread (Smokinsax)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Smokinsax &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have to agree. Looks like you wanted to clean it up a bit then got carried away with trying to make it looks BLING BLANG! I'll PayPal you with $5 if you paint that **** yellow. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I just used a wire wheel and a high speed drill and went to town! the 150 grit got whatever the wire wheel didn't.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You have a nice start over there.

Keep us updated.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:46 AM

Booo for taking off the mud gaurds... nice start though. keep us updated
Old 03-28-2006, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (exsinnovation)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by exsinnovation &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Booo for taking off the mud gaurds... nice start though. keep us updated</TD></TR></TABLE>

With them on, I get about 1 inch of ground clearance due to the Sport Springs. Thay had to go.

Also, <U>UPDATE 3/28/06!!!</U> Not much of one, but it's worth mentioning.

(See above...)
Old 03-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pull the motor
Old 03-28-2006, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (thenick)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thenick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Pull the motor </TD></TR></TABLE>

Once I get the new motor from HMO I will. My girlfriend's dad is the one who has all the tools, jacks, engine hoists, air tools, etc. so we're doing the swap at his house.

I need the car to work in order to get it there! Lol, it's really slow in limp mode on three cylinders, but it's still going!

Sidenote: My girlfriend's dad is a HUGE Ford guy. He built a 5.0 from the frame up! Plus he has a 2005 GT. Imagine what that's like trying to get him to let you use his stuff to work on a Honda!
Old 03-28-2006, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tippyman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Sidenote: My girlfriend's dad is a HUGE Ford guy. He built a 5.0 from the frame up! Plus he has a 2005 GT. Imagine what that's like trying to get him to let you use his stuff to work on a Honda! </TD></TR></TABLE>

1) Go buy all metric stuff, your going to need it.

2) Dont break up with your girlfriend untill you finish the swap. Or else your stuck with either a car with no engine and no tools, or no car at all.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Voodooboy520)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Voodooboy520 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1) Go buy all metric stuff, your going to need it.

2) Dont break up with your girlfriend untill you finish the swap. Or else your stuck with either a car with no engine and no tools, or no car at all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

1) Already did that a long time ago, lol.

2) I would never, I love that girl... (Plus i need a car, j/k!)
Old 03-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bay looks clean

goodluck with the swap

im running the same thing
Old 03-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DUFFM4N)

Give her dad a ride when you're done and see how long it takes for him to buy a honda
Old 03-28-2006, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tippyman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
2) I would never, I love that girl... (Plus i need a car, j/k!)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ah, but does she like you the same

Just kidding man, good luck. It should go easier with the air tools, I had none
Old 03-28-2006, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Another update up top.

Quick Reply: Tippyman's Project Thread