Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

SoHonda Garage's Circuit DC5 Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: SoHonda Garage's Circuit DC5 Build

Looks awesome!! Keep up the good work
Old 09-09-2014, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I really wish I could say I have, I know Of several people Running them with no issues, I did look at the Wavetrack very carefully. I believe the only real Difference between it and a Clutch pack is there is a Slightly Longer Delay In Full Lock up

Originally Posted by SHG_Mike
Have you run a wavetrack to compare?
Old 09-09-2014, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice its coming along.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope you guys are ready, cause heres a big update.... probably the biggest one so far. before you get your hopes up, no the car isnt done yet, but damn is it getting close!

Ive been putting in time wherever I can now that the track season is over and my EP3 is in storage for the winter. I have a lot more time to focus on getting this heap done! Big progress being made in all departments including interior, wiring, engine, and brakes.

Ill start off with the freshly rebuilt and powdercoated oem calipers

The brakes are all installed and the full system bled with no leaks or issues :D

Buddy Club header installed and wrapped to protect the oil filter and sensors from direct heat. This will also keep engine bay temps down.

Power steering pump was dis-assembled, cleaned and inspected. Noe all the engine accesories and serp belt are in place!

Koyo radiator also came in and is installed with a Buddy Club radiator cap

Wheels were custom ordered from Team Dynamics in sizes that will fit the rules for both classes we will be running

Pro Race 1.2 looking very european touring car-esque :giggity:

Now onto my favorite part - The interior! This is where class rules havent been able to limit my imagination, and Ive implemented a lot of touring car inspired ideas that have been kicking around in my head for years

The steering wheel as I had explained earlier is completely wireless, and all controls run through an SPA 8 pin quick release hub.

Here is the wheel during wiring of the momentary button controls

And fast forward to the finished product. Controls for the Digital display as well as radio comm buttons sit in a hand crafted carbon plate

The passenger side kick plate is also custom fabricated and serves as a foot rest as well as a safe hideaway for the ECU and Race Technology DL1 data logger

The Glove box will house the accesory fuse box and related relays, again mounted on a handmade carbon plate

Continuing with the interior theme, here is the main battery kill switch which also interrupts the alternator regulator input to not only disconnect the battery itself but to shut down the alternator and strop production of electricity all together. Its then mounted in the pop out air vent panel with carbon and titanium hardware :thumbsup:

Here is the harness for the Race Technology Dash2 display, as well as a custom carbon clock spring cover that also serves as the mount for the display itself. Ive fashioned it from a TRD NASCAR oil cooler duct

And the display with a custom designed mount water jet cut from aluminum

Tight tolerances are the name of the game here, having to take into account room for the plug on the back side, clearance to the quick release and room for you hands to grab the release paddles, as well as positioning the display so the drivers line of sight will not be blocked by the steering wheel.

Carbon continues through the interior to the switch panel that houses control for all accesory systems, as well as ignition, fuel, and momentary starter switch (red)

And down to the console where a carbon panel surrounds the raised shifter box with a custom rubber boot

The floor plate is also complete and installed with grip tape added to the base and clutch/brake pedals

To wrap up the update Ill leave you guys with a couple more photos.... Its a great feeling to see the car getting so close, and to be able to look at every last detail and say "I made that, with my own two hands". It instills a great sense of accomplishment in me and is more rewarding than anything else in life could be for me. Hope you guys enjoy and stay tuned for more!

Old 11-29-2014, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That gauge setup is awesome. Loving everything you have done. As always top notch SHG quality.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's some awesome progress!
Loving that center console and how clean it all looks!
Old 11-29-2014, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

love the way it's coming along, really clean build!
Old 11-29-2014, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The attention to detail, incredible. I love it !
Old 11-29-2014, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn! Putting in work.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looking great!

Kinda off the wall but how tall is that workbench in the background?
Old 11-30-2014, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow loving the updates Evan great work!!
Old 11-30-2014, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my brain just cant
Old 11-30-2014, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cipher
Looking great!

Kinda off the wall but how tall is that workbench in the background?
Thanks man! The top is 40" from the ground... Perfect standing height
Old 11-30-2014, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Evan -- are you still using the OEM cabin harness for the RSX, or did you completely re-do it?

Curious which approach you took since it seems you are still using OEM wiring for stuff as the rear brake lights, and such.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by navin
Evan -- are you still using the OEM cabin harness for the RSX, or did you completely re-do it?

Curious which approach you took since it seems you are still using OEM wiring for stuff as the rear brake lights, and such.
All the chassis harness is still original. All I did was remove unused circuits and circuit controls and supplemented it with the wiring I needed to run the aftermarket accessories. The engine harness is done the same way then re-loomed
Old 11-30-2014, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome update, Evan. As I was going through the pictures I started thinking about Line of Sight and quick release interference but knew you would think the same. Great work!
Old 11-30-2014, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is a flagship any shop or factory would be proud of. This car is AMAZING. I particularly like how you've been pretty darn liberal with the carbon but managed to not be garish and over the top, even in a race car. Fantastic restraint, style, and class.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn!!
Old 12-01-2014, 01:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome build, love the custom interior build
Old 12-01-2014, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Unreal execution at every step!
Old 12-02-2014, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i love this car so much
Old 12-03-2014, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is one of the best, if not the best, cleanest and most detailed builds I have seen. Keep up the amazing work, can't wait to see the finished product. Almost a sin to put it on a track.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Because race car! Absolutely phenomenal quality and build documentation. I have a few minor question, though. Why did you leave the underhood fusebox instead of making/integrating it with the interior fusebox? Seems like that would have further cleaned up the engine bay.

Second, I have seen a few underhood fires start after fluids seep under the wrap on hot headers. You might want to consider ceramic coatings (now available up to 2,500*) instead of the wrapping. I'd hate to see you lose all of that bling and effort from something that could be prevented!
Old 12-04-2014, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by phunhaus
Awesome update, Evan. As I was going through the pictures I started thinking about Line of Sight and quick release interference but knew you would think the same. Great work!
Thanks man! Yeah that was a pretty time consuming part of the build and I was kind of putting it off for a while lol. Btw glad to see you still checking in after all these years!

Originally Posted by willimo
This is a flagship any shop or factory would be proud of. This car is AMAZING. I particularly like how you've been pretty darn liberal with the carbon but managed to not be garish and over the top, even in a race car. Fantastic restraint, style, and class.
Thank you sir! Im glad you can appreciate the minute but important aspects of taking in a car's character. Im the same way, where when I check out a build I dont care so much about what parts it has, but the thought process and execution behind the mods

Originally Posted by OTDRacing
This is one of the best, if not the best, cleanest and most detailed builds I have seen. Keep up the amazing work, can't wait to see the finished product. Almost a sin to put it on a track.
Thanks! Im half dreading half bursting with anticipation to get it on the track haha. If we can keep the frame rails and quarters straight I will be happy!

Originally Posted by metalball
Because race car! Absolutely phenomenal quality and build documentation. I have a few minor question, though. Why did you leave the underhood fusebox instead of making/integrating it with the interior fusebox? Seems like that would have further cleaned up the engine bay.

Second, I have seen a few underhood fires start after fluids seep under the wrap on hot headers. You might want to consider ceramic coatings (now available up to 2,500*) instead of the wrapping. I'd hate to see you lose all of that bling and effort from something that could be prevented!

Thank you! As far as the fuse box I wanted to retain the OEM parts for oem circuit reliability, to be able to use factory diagrams for diagnosis, and to lighten the work load of this drawn out project. I was more concerned with these things than making the bay look more uncluttered.

Good point about the header wrap, not something Ive experienced nor had it crossed my mind. Ill keep a close eye that there are no leaks of course, and Ill probably look into getting the header coated next off season
Old 12-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I didn't think it could get any better and you've seem to prove me wrong like always! The bay looks incredible, soo many gold bodes I need shades to look at it. The details in the interior are just phenomenal though. The work your doing is outstanding, I feel like just yesterday we were wrenching on the Eg and now this! Can't wait to see it on track even though part of me wants to see it in a museum.

Quick Reply: SoHonda Garage's Circuit DC5 Build