Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

SHG is back! Easy's EP3 goes under the knife...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: SHG is back! Easy's EP3 goes under the knife...

Originally Posted by SHG_EasyE
Looks like a good option. Pair those with some Inserts up front valved for a 500lb spring and it wouldnt be a bad setup. Only problem with inserts up front (maybe the bilstiens too) is theyre still stock length, so you cant lower the car that much without eating up all your shock travel.
I would prob re-valve them to run 8 inch spring on the front?

Or I stumbled on used aragosta suspension for an rsx which i could run on my ep3? any thoughts?

Also Im in store for some good dd/track pads...Ive used hp+ but i want to step up once more before a big brake kit next year ?
Old 07-28-2011, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if the modified airbox will work better when you swap the A2 in? Possibly the A3 doesn't need the increased volume of air or maybe all it needs is just a tune.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jamescardenas07
I wonder if the modified airbox will work better when you swap the A2 in? Possibly the A3 doesn't need the increased volume of air or maybe all it needs is just a tune.
Penitentially, but I doubt it. My guess is that it may sacrifice a bit up top for response and low end tq. Only time will tell I suppose!

None of the airboxes "Iterations" needed to be tuned. The motor ran perfectly with each. You know SHG wouldnt let that be a factor now
Old 07-28-2011, 03:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MissShift
I would prob re-valve them to run 8 inch spring on the front?

Or I stumbled on used aragosta suspension for an rsx which i could run on my ep3? any thoughts?

Also Im in store for some good dd/track pads...Ive used hp+ but i want to step up once more before a big brake kit next year ?
Yeah 8 inch 500 lb spring is good. I actually have those same aragostas that are for sale on CRSX, just a set that was made for FEEL's so theyre different colors and such. Just had them rebuilt and it was a bit of a fiasco. Its a great suspension but the shock internals are out dated so its really hard to have them rebuilt. They have since changed the design so when I had mine done they needed to custom make all the internals and cylinders for my rears.

Originally Posted by jamescardenas07
Id like to do the test again when I put the A2 in, but on top of that Im hoping the carbon box is done by then so Ill be running that.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I like what you did on the airbox with the fitting. It looks good i have been contemplating Putting fittings on the vc and box and some nice hose for a clean look. But the distance is so short i dont know if it would look good or stupid.

Id like to do the test again when I put the A2 in, but on top of that Im hoping the carbon box is done by then so Ill be running that.
I want to see the results on the A2, it will be closer to the results i would get with my car.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah 8 inch 500 lb spring is good. I actually have those same aragostas that are for sale on CRSX, just a set that was made for FEEL's so theyre different colors and such. Just had them rebuilt and it was a bit of a fiasco. Its a great suspension but the shock internals are out dated so its really hard to have them rebuilt. They have since changed the design so when I had mine done they needed to custom make all the internals and cylinders for my rears.

So u think I should jump on the arastogas ? The price is around 800$? Or build my own as previously planned?
Old 07-28-2011, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They're great coilovers, I can vouch to how well they ride and handle, it doesn't seem like theres much better coilovers out there that isn't 2 way adjustable. If you don't mind the hassle of rebuilding an older discontinued set, then it would be a good option to go with IMO. Its just 1 option, there are others out there.

FItting looks good E!
Old 07-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HBKFanatic
They're great coilovers, I can vouch to how well they ride and handle, it doesn't seem like theres much better coilovers out there that isn't 2 way adjustable. If you don't mind the hassle of rebuilding an older discontinued set, then it would be a good option to go with IMO. Its just 1 option, there are others out there.

FItting looks good E!
Yea its one cause i found them used and heard they are super Are they expensive to repair? As well as if im driving in them in winter? Simple as a ton of grease up and anti seeze will be fine?
Old 07-28-2011, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea its one cause i found them used and heard they are super Are they expensive to repair? As well as if im driving in them in winter? Simple as a ton of grease up and anti seeze will be fine?
Yeah if you find them used for a good price I would go right ahead and get those.

You could buy a new coilover but you would be paying retail or near retail but with a used set thats been rebuilt it is essentially a new coilover but will look used outside.

To repair it was actually a good price IMO. It was reasonable cost to pay, especially in this case since they are probably loosing money to build new custom parts.

Driving with coilovers in the winters is fine IMO. That's why a lot of good quality coilovers aren't just painted threads, they are usually cadmium coated. Which helps prevent rust. I've seen coils that don't have that and if they are driven in the winter you can forget about breaking them loose to adjust the height lol. It can get real bad to the point where you have to take it out of the car and try soaking it with rust penetrants.

Those coils are coated which helps a lot, but thats not enough to prevent rust alone. Keeping a thick layer of grease on it will ensure it stays normal, just be sure to check once in a while how they're doing.

In this past I've used wd-40 and lithium grease from a spray can but that doesnt last very long in the winter at all. I would recommend you use the same grease you use in your shifter bushings and the like. I use high temperature paste grease but I haven't tried those on my coilovers yet. Im sure that would work fine since it doesn't react with metals and is thick and water doesn't mix with it so I think that any grease like that will be a good candidate. I've never used anti-seize on coils but I suppose that would work just as long as the water/ice/snow doesn't remove it too quickly.

Im sure Easy can give you some more advice there.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you dont buy them send me the link!
Old 07-28-2011, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mattrt09
I like what you did on the airbox with the fitting. It looks good i have been contemplating Putting fittings on the vc and box and some nice hose for a clean look. But the distance is so short i dont know if it would look good or stupid.

I want to see the results on the A2, it will be closer to the results i would get with my car.
Yeah I think the space there is too small for something like that. Ill try my best to get another dyno test for the airbox but it wont be for a while

So u think I should jump on the arastogas ? The price is around 800$? Or build my own as previously planned?
I wouldnt if I were you. I dont think AST would rebuild another set of those after what they went through with mine. They spent over $500 in parts alone plus labor to assemble them and shipping both ways. They lost alot of money on the deal, and fortunately with some pressure they stuck to their original cost of $500 plus shipping. ($125/shock). Mind you the whole process start to finish took 7 months. Theyre great coilovers, some of the best single adjustable inverted monotube available IMO, but if you cant cat them rebuilt its not worth your trouble since they are used and probably need a rebuild right off the bat.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Truer words never spoken before! Agreed, if you're willing to deal with the hassle sure, but yeah it's easy to forget how it took so many months. Then that's even assuming they would do it and they prob wouldn't now that I think about it. At least not for the normal price.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I started with the SRS plug. All I needed to do with this (and bypassing pretty much any SRS component) was jump it with a 2.2 ohm resistor.

And here we go... Both jumpers installed. Nice and clean

I know this was done a while back but I was wondering if it is a 2.2 ohm resistor or a 2 ohm resistor that is needed to bypass the SRS components. The reason I am asking is because I have been reading the manual and they would use a 2 ohm resistor to bypass a SRS component when troubleshooting. I dont know if the 0.2 ohm's would make a huge difference though, and am just curious so when I bypass one of my components it all come's out well.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EG1PJT
I know this was done a while back but I was wondering if it is a 2.2 ohm resistor or a 2 ohm resistor that is needed to bypass the SRS components. The reason I am asking is because I have been reading the manual and they would use a 2 ohm resistor to bypass a SRS component when troubleshooting. I dont know if the 0.2 ohm's would make a huge difference though, and am just curious so when I bypass one of my components it all come's out well.
Hm thats a good question... I would assume both would work if thats what the manual says, and a 2 ohm resistor is much easier to get than the 2.2. The reason I used the 2.2 is that it was the resistance reading of the stock SRS belt unit when I measured it, so I figured id just match whatever I saw there. The .2 ohms may have just been from the sub harness and connections or something, and the actual unit itself is just 2 ohms.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I think the space there is too small for something like that. Ill try my best to get another dyno test for the airbox but it wont be for a while

I wouldnt if I were you. I dont think AST would rebuild another set of those after what they went through with mine. They spent over $500 in parts alone plus labor to assemble them and shipping both ways. They lost alot of money on the deal, and fortunately with some pressure they stuck to their original cost of $500 plus shipping. ($125/shock). Mind you the whole process start to finish took 7 months. Theyre great coilovers, some of the best single adjustable inverted monotube available IMO, but if you cant cat them rebuilt its not worth your trouble since they are used and probably need a rebuild right off the bat.
IC. well the owner said they have about 30K on them. This suspension stuff is giving me a headache I was this close to getting them shipped but after your last post i backed out. Back to building my rear suspension first then I guess. Bilstein shocks revalved with 800 lbs custom ground control coils lowered 1 inch lower than stock.

Would you recommend anything different before moving forward with this? Any other options?
Old 07-29-2011, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.eightspeed.co.uk/acatalog...Over_Kits.html

These are pretty much the full coilover kits I found for the ep3. It's either pick one of these or build custom at (bilstein shocks revalved running 500lbs front and 800lbs rear custom springs- either swift or ground control)

I dont want to spend more than 1500...Varient 2 price point basically
Old 07-29-2011, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hm thats a good question... I would assume both would work if thats what the manual says, and a 2 ohm resistor is much easier to get than the 2.2. The reason I used the 2.2 is that it was the resistance reading of the stock SRS belt unit when I measured it, so I figured id just match whatever I saw there. The .2 ohms may have just been from the sub harness and connections or something, and the actual unit itself is just 2 ohms.
Ok thanks. How has the 2.2 resistor been working out? If its worked out well then I'll just use that and not think so hard about this.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IC. well the owner said they have about 30K on them. This suspension stuff is giving me a headache I was this close to getting them shipped but after your last post i backed out. Back to building my rear suspension first then I guess. Bilstein shocks revalved with 800 lbs custom ground control coils lowered 1 inch lower than stock.

Would you recommend anything different before moving forward with this? Any other options?
Yeah 30k those things have been shot for about 10k lol. Whats keeping you from doing a full coilover? If you take care of them (grease them and pressure wash periodically through winter) they wont wear any more than a coilover sleeve setup on a bilstien.

For a full coilover I would reccomend KW or Buddy Club.

Originally Posted by EG1PJT
Ok thanks. How has the 2.2 resistor been working out? If its worked out well then I'll just use that and not think so hard about this.
Its been perfect. Daily driving it since I installed it and no issues
Old 07-29-2011, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BNIB OEM mud flaps

Old 07-29-2011, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am so jelyous n yes I meant to spell it that way ahh its awsome
Old 07-29-2011, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its been perfect. Daily driving it since I installed it and no issues
Ok thanks. Nice build and nothing nicer then BNIB OEM Accesory's.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah evan I dont think i can like this build considering your a yankees fan... geeez when did you band-wagon or have you had that hat on since you were born! Lol JK buds... only thing i dont like about the oem units is how small they are.. I want thru some freshie tar the other day- all over the silva!
Old 07-31-2011, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Order of Merit

evan, want to make me one of those SRS light bypass things? I need something similar for my s2000's seatbelt...since I dont have one in the car anymore
Old 07-31-2011, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 07-31-2011, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice shots Mike, that last one is dope with it!

Quick Reply: SHG is back! Easy's EP3 goes under the knife...