Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

SHG is back! Easy's EP3 goes under the knife...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 05:37 PM
Flattery Will Get You Everywhere

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: SHG is back! Easy's EP3 goes under the knife...

nice *** house bro
Old 07-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your banners look like the very popular "Tiffanys green" color that I have wanted to do a set of wheels in for years now. None the less it looks great on the silver.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Jim, yeah I toy around with the idea of some teal wheels, but RPF1's just dont have the right shape for it, plus i think if it came down to it I couldnt get rid of the silver.

So like I mentioned earlier Mike and I did some intake testing on my car last week. I picked up a MINT stock airbox setup a few days before so we could test the stock airbox vs. the Hondata mod airbox vs. my SHG/Hondata mod airbox.

Stock (not my image)

Heres the Hondata mod which is basically a gutted bottom half (not my image)

And My own Iteration which is a Hondata mod with reliefs cut in the lower panels to experiment with more direct air flow.

Had the scan tool up for live data to make sure coolant temp and air intake temp were the same for each pull.

The results speak for themselves... Stock box made massive torque over both modded units and gained a little horsepower over the whole curve. It was a hot muggy day so the numbers we saw are not comparable to my baseline run when it was 65 deg and dry.

Dotted green line - Stock
Dashed green line- Hondata mod
Yellow line - SHG/Hondata mod

Old 07-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So in light of our results I got to work on the OEM unit. I used the leftover heat tape I got for my exhaust and since I didnt have enough for the whole bottom I just covered the crucial areas of the box that will see the most radiant heat from the engine.

New air filter that came with the air box

Aluminum shift cable bushings and MTEC increased rate shift return springs

Old 07-19-2011, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would rather use the stock rubber bushings than those solid CorSport/Strut King bushings. I used to have the same bushings you posted & it made my 1-2 shift very difficult unless it was greased religiously. I switched to Hybrid Racing bushings and all is better now due to a spherical bearing in the bigger bushing which allows for proper movement.

http://www.hybrid-racing.com/product...fter-bushings/
Old 07-20-2011, 04:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damnit, lol. Ill definitely look into it, thanks for the heads up
Old 07-20-2011, 05:34 AM
Flattery Will Get You Everywhere

jamesscardenas07- would those bushings work on an element??
Old 07-20-2011, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was thinking about doing that to my RPF1's but I like the silver on silver too much. I was debating on springing for some Spoon lugs because I really like how yours look on the wheels.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

E you amaze me every time man. Lovin the custom work for sure
Old 07-21-2011, 01:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SHG_EasyE
Damnit, lol. Ill definitely look into it, thanks for the heads up
No problem. Also, even if the bushing was greased, it wasn't smooth like the stock or Hybrid bushing was. Give it a try (both un-greased then greased) if you can remove the stock bushings out without damaging them. You'll see what I mean.

Originally Posted by markspan6243
jamesscardenas07- would those bushings work on an element??
Not too sure. If the Element bushings are the same as EP3/DC5 bushings, then I don't see why not!
Old 07-21-2011, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BoostinEJ1
I was thinking about doing that to my RPF1's but I like the silver on silver too much. I was debating on springing for some Spoon lugs because I really like how yours look on the wheels.
Yeah I think the silver on silver has a much more mature look, Teal could be sick but just too much for me I would get sick of it pretty quick. Get the spoon lugs, best lug nut on a silver RPF1 imo

Originally Posted by skipunk4
E you amaze me every time man. Lovin the custom work for sure
Thanks cooper, are you driving that teg yet or what??

Originally Posted by jamescardenas07
No problem. Also, even if the bushing was greased, it wasn't smooth like the stock or Hybrid bushing was. Give it a try (both un-greased then greased) if you can remove the stock bushings out without damaging them. You'll see what I mean.
Yeah, I think I will probably just sell them and not even try them. I know your word is good. They will be easier to sell and Ill be able to get most of my money back if theyre BNIB
Old 07-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I love that you went through the trouble of dynoing your airbox, another modded air box, and the factory one to see what the result was. A lot of people can't or don't do that and are working in a vacuum of information, and are probably doing more harm than good. Your experiment showed what I have suspected for a long time: that the four billion dollars Honda spent making the intake was well spent. Honda is really weird and **** about their intake set ups. It's neat to see that in practice. Thanks for posting!
Old 07-21-2011, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by willimo
I love that you went through the trouble of dynoing your airbox, another modded air box, and the factory one to see what the result was. A lot of people can't or don't do that and are working in a vacuum of information, and are probably doing more harm than good. Your experiment showed what I have suspected for a long time: that the four billion dollars Honda spent making the intake was well spent. Honda is really weird and **** about their intake set ups. It's neat to see that in practice. Thanks for posting!
Yeah man, its the things like that that really fascinate me. I got the idea to do a test after we dyno'd an ITR at the shop and tested a few different Intakes on it. He was running an AEM cold air but was blowing sound via intake at events (gotta love Hondas ) so he wanted to test some quieter options. Turns out stock airbox out performed the short ram + velocity stack, and made more torque and low end power than the CAI until abouve 7000 rpm, then the CAI picked up some hp over stock.

Thats why Im a die hard Honda enthusiast. The R+D they put into their products is second to none in their class and even higher end vehicles. Honda engines are race engines, no question. Being in the racing industry its really incredible how poorly designed other manufacturers products really are.

So since the GF is off to Watkins Glen this weekend racing I spent some time tackling this little project.

In preparation of installing the new intake I wanted to re route the throttle cables so they ran under the box instead of over it. The new box is mint and my current one is all chafed up from the cables resting on it.

Ill start with some before shots:

I started by cutting off the mounting part of the throttle cable bracket, and fabricating a new repositioned, extended mounting section.

Welded them up (MIG)

Painted and installed

Now the cables run under the intake arm and airbox

Old 07-21-2011, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

kinda personal question, but do you have an engineering degree? all the graph paper/technical drawings exhibit that, and i'm sure you can/could use a cad program like a boss.

very inspiring build; everything done right the first time so everything works together

with that itr intake setup you talked about, was that with the arm/box/chamber piece in the fender or just the arm/box/"snorkel"? when i put my aebs im on my gsr i'm going to switch to some sort of stock setup (itr arm/box/spoon filter/snorkel) or just buy the comptech piece w/ itr arm. any input as to which you think would be best would be great.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Amazing how the stock box made more power all throughout. Thats sort of unheard of. Great work with that, the heat film is a nice touch for sure.

The cable relocation came out great too dude, now its at home!
Old 07-22-2011, 03:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

SHG= Self taught engineers lol.

Claudio, its only unheard of because 5% of people do legitimate dyno testing. Mostly due to cost of renting one, and the other reason is because of uneducated dyno operators. We are lucky enough to have full reign over our dyno and can do extensive testing that otherwise would cost way too much.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eazybmx
kinda personal question, but do you have an engineering degree? all the graph paper/technical drawings exhibit that, and i'm sure you can/could use a cad program like a boss.

very inspiring build; everything done right the first time so everything works together

with that itr intake setup you talked about, was that with the arm/box/chamber piece in the fender or just the arm/box/"snorkel"? when i put my aebs im on my gsr i'm going to switch to some sort of stock setup (itr arm/box/spoon filter/snorkel) or just buy the comptech piece w/ itr arm. any input as to which you think would be best would be great.
No degree here, unfortunately lol. My dad kinda got me on the right track when I was young, teaching me basic mechanics here and there and how to tackle a project the right way. But other than that im basically all self taught from experience. I think Im lucky and that skill for fabrication and design just comes naturally, and since Im exercising that skill pretty much every day i can easily build on it

It was only the box and not the snorkel, although if he had had the snorkel I think it would have performed even better. Ive heard great things about the icebox, but I can only confirm what we saw on that ITR.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The ITR did have the snorkel to the fenderwell
Old 07-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I like the spring of the oil stick nice !!!
Old 07-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

evan you make me miss my autocad class in highschool! Awesome work... snorkle for the win!

The dunlops came today! All sorts of beef on those suckers. Theyre a inch wider then my BfG's.. Im going to be rollin on some seriouse meat!
Old 07-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

HEAT TAPE on my hondata airbox mod! genius. idk why i never thought of that.

where can i find that cheap-ish?

i love the attention to detail in your build keep it coming!
Old 07-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 03civicdopejmd
evan you make me miss my autocad class in highschool! Awesome work... snorkle for the win!

The dunlops came today! All sorts of beef on those suckers. Theyre a inch wider then my BfG's.. Im going to be rollin on some seriouse meat!
I wish I still knew autocad, I havent used it in years

Originally Posted by NEO_FOLLOWER2
HEAT TAPE on my hondata airbox mod! genius. idk why i never thought of that.

where can i find that cheap-ish?

i love the attention to detail in your build keep it coming!
Did you read that whole post? Stock airbox > hondata mod

I got it from pegasus racing, its not cheap though
Old 07-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do you have it? I can teach you that fun stuff! I dont have a degree but I can make pretty much anything.. that was one class I payed attention in...
Old 07-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i used inventor in high school but psu only uses solidworks. inventor is much better wish i still had my student version
Old 07-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great info on the stock box. I was planning on putting mine back on this weekend so this is good news to me

Quick Reply: SHG is back! Easy's EP3 goes under the knife...