Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Your choice of forged piston

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Your choice of forged piston (lek9l)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lek9l &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If we are talking about the best, its opinion, but I believe Jun's are the best, because they are made from cosworth, who make F1 pistons. TODA is second because they make F3 pistons. I think.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whaaaaaaaaaaat????????????
Old 01-06-2007, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Your choice of forged piston (lek9l)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lek9l &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If we are talking about the best, its opinion, but I believe Jun's are the best, because they are made from cosworth, who make F1 pistons. TODA is second because they make F3 pistons. I think.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ummm......ok. i guess that works for you. As i said before Mahle is the only aftermarket piston in this price range that i would buy. Cosworth makes great ****, not that i speak from experience, but their prices are way out of my league.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by lek9l
If we are talking about the best, its opinion, but I believe Jun's are the best, because they are made from cosworth, who make F1 pistons. TODA is second because they make F3 pistons. I think.
That's not a very accurate way to rate the quality and engineering of a piston. Mahle does F1, IRL, F3, Accralite, Omega as well as Perfect bore all do the same.

For street/strip engines I like Mahle's pistons as well as Supertech. For full race applications Wiseco, Accralite, Omega and perfect bore all make an amazing product. Wiseco is by far the most affordable with offerings starting at around $550 with rings and going as high as $800 with rings. Accralite and Omega are easily $1000 - $1200+ a set for custom stuff, Perfect Bore (sister company to Wiseco and part of the PMI Group) has the highest price tag at around $1500-$2100. Perfect Bore machines most of their pistons from solid billet and they end up being incredibly light and super strong. Perfect Bore does pistons for Nismo, Toda and a few others out there.

With all factors considered, ie, price, finished machining, accuracy, weight, design and strength, here is my list from best to worst.

<U>Full Race Applications</U>

1. Wiseco

Although Wiseco's pistons may not be up there with the big name euro manufacturers, they do still offer a great piston at an affordable price. Your not going to find a better bang for buck race piston than their box in box race pistons. Your going to pay twice the price for the same type of piston from any of the euro manufacturers. Price is definitely the reason i put them on top, on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the perfect piston (all variables considered, price being the main factor), wiseco is a 9.8

2. Omega

Not many have gotten the opportunity to see anything from Omega in person. They really dont have a whole lot in terms of F1 style forgings for Honda's 4 cylinders, unless your running a 90mm+ bore F/H/K/J/C engine. If you are, your in luck. Omega's pistons are bad ***. The only reason I had Wiseco up top was based solely on price. A custom set of Omega RR58 (Rolls Royce 58 alloy, a little more advanced than your average 2618) slipper skirt pistons is going to run you around 1200-1400 w/ rings. If you can afford it, its definitely worth it. On a 1-10 scale, Omegas slipper/RR58 offerings are a 9.7

3. Accralite

Accralite pistons are known for their light weight, strength and durability. They also offer a RR58 forging and have just about any Honda bore size you'd need (A major advantage over Omega). There are a few engine builders here in the states who sware by Accralite pistons. Ive only seen one set in person, they are very close in comparison to Omega, not quite as pricey though. They are roughly 100-200 less per set of 4 than a 4pc set of Omega pistons. On a 1-10 scale, I rate Accralite a 9.5

4. Perfect Bore

These are probably the best of the best on the market. Ive seen 2 sets in person, both were for RB26 race engines. They are extremely light weight, the lightest un-modified (window milling, hollow dome, etc, etc) pistons I have seen to date. To my knowledge, Perfect Bore doesnt offer a shelf piston. That can be both an advantage and a disadvantage. The advantage being that they are made specific to your application, the disadvantage being that they are very expensive and take a chunk of time to produce. IMO, Perfect bore has the best overall quality and finished product but the hefty price tag makes them less attractive when compared to the above 3. on a 1-10 scale, I rate Perfect bore pistons at 9.4

5. JE

JE has a new forging coming out, it is one of their FSR (Forged Side Relief) offerings for the smaller bore Honda 4 cylinder applications. JE's round forgings used to run clearances in the .005 range, the new FSR stuff calls for .0025 or less (depending on many factors). These forgings were previously only available for the 4.000+ domestic V8 bore sizes. These forgings are very light and plenty strong. They will require a little bit of work to get in the low 200 gram range for full race applications though. That can get a little pricey on a custom application. Even with all the milling and coatings your not going to brake the $700 mark. I give JE a 8.8 overall rating.

6. CP

A lot of people sware by CP pistons. Personally, I dont know what all the hype is about. IMO, they are very close in comparison to JE's offerings. CP does a lot of milling with their full race stuff. Their forgings dont really start out being too light so they compensate by removing material wherever possible. The end result is a light weight short life piston. Im not really a fan of the dramatic amount of taper they use on the skirt either. I can understand why they use the taper but i also seeing it doing more harm than good overall. CP does make some really nice off the shelf stuff, but IMO their race ap's dont really stack up to the above. I give CP a 8.5

7. Arias

Arias pistons are very good when it comes to tolerances, theyve also worked really well in boosted engines. i just cant get past the fact that they are using the same forging styles that were available in the early 90's. They still use a full round skirt style piston which starts out much heavier than a slipper or box in box type piston. To get weight down you have to mill to the point where the piston is, in short, a time bomb. has anyone heard of "ping affect"? Arias is getting better about their application chart, I just feel they need to offer the All Motor guys a little more in terms of light weight forgings. Pricing on Arias pistons is awesome, always has been. I give Arias an overall rating of 8.0

I was going to cover street/strip pistons too but I think im done typing for now.

Id also like to add that these are my opinions and my opinions only, Im sure others see things differently and will voice their opinions as well. I invite others to do the same, the more knowledge and experience that is posted in threads like these, the better if you ask me
Old 01-06-2007, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: just when you thought you were different, WA, NWforLIFE
Default Re: (exospeedAMcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by exospeedAMcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bandwagon post. Doesn't reflect performance and quality.

All the piston companies above work well. It all comes down to preference.</TD></TR></TABLE>

and tuning too hehe
Old 01-08-2007, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: down the street,bythe river in the van, co, united states

i like arias!
Old 01-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Your choice of forged piston (JFG Kevin)

honda for mild and Wiseco for more race/hardcore applications.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Your choice of forged piston (mar778c)

I should jump in here. I have 1 set of Accralite 12.1-1, 82mm left for sale. I.181 pin height.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:57 AM

Default Re: Your choice of forged piston (DonF)

i always go with je pistons
nice quality
Old 01-09-2007, 02:09 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Your choice of forged piston (DonF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DonF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I should jump in here. I have 1 set of Accralite 12.1-1, 82mm left for sale. I.181 pin height.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bump.

These are nice pistons. I have studied them. R58 Aluminum. Long Skirt piston with "Phantom" valve relief on dome as specified by Mugen, UK.