Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Will a bad brake booster cause a fast idle problem on my 87 civic?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a bad brake booster cause a fast idle problem on my 87 civic?

Hello, club members

I have a bad brake booster that is plug off for now and a fast idle problem.Can these be link together? The Honda has (1500) 1.5LT Japanese motor with a Keihin 3 barrel carburetor and it is a manual 4 speed if this helps.I wasted money putting two carburetors on the car and I still have the same problem.The problem is that it has a hard start up and the idle is high at start up.The car runs great after you start to drive it, but when you come to a stop it's back up there.It also diesels a bit on shut off.I replaced the cap, rotor, wires, plugs and set the timing just in case.I check with the carb cleaner trick to check for vac. leaks, but I found no leaks.It might be a sensor also, but which thermovalve would it be? The head one? The block one?, or the radiator one? The fan works and the gauge works inside, so I don't know what to do next.Can anyone help? I would be greatful. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2005, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Will a bad brake booster cause a fast idle problem on my 87 civic? (toolhands72)

while parked try plugging up the vacuum to the brake booster, i havent come across a brake booster leaking vacuum but if it does then its letting air in the motor which would cause the higher idle and surging problems.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Will a bad brake booster cause a fast idle problem on my 87 civic? (chameleon)

Thank you for your reply to my post. I plug off the booster with a rubber cap, but it might be leaking out of the cap. With the booster hooked up it makes a loud air leak. I will replace it soon and hope to fix the problem. I have another question if you can help. Is it normal to have back pressure when you open the gas cap? It make a loud swoosh noise and air blows by.I wonder if the gas tank vent has a problem. Thank you again for your post!