All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

When does the oem PCV system need to be upgraded?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (dinko)

it ends up in the engine because moisture when the car is not running can now freeley travel from the catch can filter and into the head causing gunge.

i know because i had this alot, i hardly use my delsol SiR much and i ran the block - inlet manifold tube free air to stop re-cuirculating the pcv gas. problem was after a day i can take off the oil cap and there would be grey gunk on there -.-

anyway i replaced the pcv and the system to stock and no more problems.

condensation builds up everywhere, and its really bad over here, i reacon about half a pint of water comes out of my exhaust in the morning as moisture. its allright if you live in a desert, anywhere that gets humid days and cold nights/mornings would probably suffer from it.

the only way around it would be after shutting the car off block or bag up the catch can filter, or rarther than run a filter route a large pipe from the catch can into the exhaust, the gas passing past the pipe would be enough to even draw the crankcase out on idle, plus moisture will have a hell of a long way to travel to contiminate your oil (also dont you hate breathing crankcase gas when you vent it free aint into your engine bay?)
Old 11-10-2007, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redsolturbo)

My situation is similar. I have recently noticed a very slight build up of caramel colored oil/water mix in my engine oil cap. I have been told this was due to the colder weather arriving and that the added moisture in the air is causing the build up I'm seeing. I also don't drive it very far so it doesn't get much time to evaporate without a longer drive.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:17 AM
* B A N N E D *

Location: Running Round At Night In Los Angeles Like A Crazy, Veva Mexco, Veva Mexco
Default Re: When does the oem PCV system need to be upgraded? (dinko)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dinko &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when the oil pressure in the block pushes your dip stick out on the dyno

honestly just upgrade that **** asap....its easier to work on...and for my car it's not necessary...**** i dont even run a cat.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

HAHA ITS A FLYING DIP STICK RUNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Old 11-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: When does the oem PCV system need to be upgraded? (dinko)

I recently saw pics of an older setup on the AEBS crx where the black box was left in place the PCV valve port plugged with a vaccum cap and the intake manifold port too. Then two fittings were put on the front of the valve cover as seen in this thread. Is this an effective setup?
Old 11-13-2007, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you only use VC vent(s) the flow will have to fight against the downward flow of the oil.
The pressure comes from the bottom end and if you plug its normal path its only route out would be up through the oil drain back holes.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Natural Aspirations)

heh bump from the dead but how about removing the dip stick and running a tube from that to a can to? when you go the check the oil you can just pull the tube off and put the dipstick in lol
Old 11-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redsolturbo)

Not sure that response was very productive. However, I have decided to vent a spare valve cover that I have around and leave the stock PCV system in place for now. My thoughts are that this will allow any excessive pressure in my simple motor to escape. Any other input?
Old 01-08-2008, 07:24 PM
A-

Default Re: (LSvtecMike)

i got oil in my IM and in my intake ... the car is smoking a bit.. could it be my pvc?
Old 01-09-2008, 02:16 PM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (A-)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by A- &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i got oil in my IM and in my intake ... the car is smoking a bit.. could it be my pvc?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Either that or your rings are getting worn out and it's blow-by. Time for a leak down test and change your pcv, it's cheap.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is a catch can and a breather kit tv same? I'm getting the enydn breather kit for my built b20