Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Troubleshooting: B18B Timing/Firing issues 2000 Integra

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshooting: B18B Timing/Firing issues 2000 Integra

I have a '00 Integra LS, auto transmission that's cranking but not firing. I have spark and fuel at the end of the rail. Compression at 120 psi on all 4 cylinders. I removed the valve cover and turned the crank til Piston 1 was at it's apex. Here is a breakdown of where the Cams were positioned and where the dizzy rotor was positioned at each time the piston 1 was rotated so that it was pushed all the way up. Is this normal?
0 rotation. Cams at 12. Dizzy at 7 o'clock
1 rotation. Cams at 6, Dizzy Rotor at 1
2 rotations. Cams at 12. Dizzy Rotor at 1.
3 rotations. Cams at 6. Dizzy Rotor at 1.
4 rotations. Cams at 11. Dizzy Rotor at 7:30
5 rotations. Cams at 5. Dizzy Rotor at 1:30.
6 rotations. Cams at 10:30. Dizzy Rotor at 8:30.

Again, the above notes are every time I rotated the crank and stopped when the #1 piston was TDC. Is this how it should be? If not, would this cause it crank but not fire? The more rotations I made, the more the cams were away from being pointing straight up. Though eventually, they would return to pointing straight up. Can someone help me account for why the timing is off and how to fix it, if that indeed is the case?

Perhaps the better question to ask is this: Every time the #1 piston is all the way up, should the cams be either at 6 or 12?

NOTE: While turning the crank with the 19mm socket and bar, it did not spin what I would consider freely, and took quite the push, at times. THe crank no fire all started when the car stopped running on the highway and the alternator belt was gone. I changed the alternator and a/c belts, and wonder if I could've overtightened them to a point that the crank shaft doesn't spin as freely as it should???
Old 06-27-2019, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Re: Troubleshooting: B18B Timing/Firing issues 2000 Integra

The timing slipped on this engine and OP had it confirmed. This thread can be closed mods.