Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

SavageEm1's B16 block rebuild progress thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SavageEm1's B16 block rebuild progress thread

Just had the head rebuilt at the machine shop for my em1 to factory spec, then a week later I go to put it on and on the way home I spun a bearing so I'm rebuilding the block too. Woohoo. Looking to get a bit more power out of it now. May as well since I'm in there.

Looking to get about 180-200 (if possible) horsepower out of it at the end of the rebuild. It's totally factory currently, not even lowered or exhaust. It's my daily driver. Just not quite fast enough for my liking I intend on keeping it N/A. I plan on rebuilding my b16a head I got laying around once I figure out everyrhing else. This is my first rebuild and here are the parts I'm planning on using.

Cylinder hone
line honed/bored
decked
crank micropolish/balanced
cleaned obviously

Nippon ctr high comp pistons
hastings piston rings
oem rods
acl race bearings (rod and crank)
oem head gasket
oem head bolts

Does this seem to be a solid set up for the block? Anything else I need to swap out or have checked? Any parts I should replace? Got a spare b16a head I'm also going to rebuild later on once I know the block is good. I've never rebuilt an engine so I'm just making sure everything is done correctly Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Last edited by SavageEm1; 07-09-2017 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 07-10-2017, 07:51 AM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default re: SavageEm1's B16 block rebuild progress thread

ARP head studs may not be required for your build but they are cheap insurance, along with ARP rod bolts. Other than that it looks pretty solid, I used the Nippon USDM ITR pistons, Hastings rings, and ACL race bearings rod and crank in my LS-VTEC and it's still going strong with zero issues.

You'll probably want to upgrade cams to reach your HP goal, if I'm not mistaken you can use CTR cams on the stock B16 valvetrain, but you may want to confirm that with someone more knowledgeable than I.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

I'd personally put in the extra work and few hundred dollars to put the pistons and different rods into a B20 block, and do a B20V setup, but I'm sure there's a lot of variables you're considering for your own car. The extra torque down low for a daily driver would make it a lot more enjoyable.

180->200WHP for a B16 is no joke. You'd need full bolt ons and probably at least CTR cams, or a set from Skunk2/Crower/Buddy Club or whatever.

Unless you meant 180->200 to the crankshaft, which could probably be accomplished with some pretty mild upgrades.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DumpdEJ6
ARP head studs may not be required for your build but they are cheap insurance, along with ARP rod bolts. Other than that it looks pretty solid, I used the Nippon USDM ITR pistons, Hastings rings, and ACL race bearings rod and crank in my LS-VTEC and it's still going strong with zero issues.

You'll probably want to upgrade cams to reach your HP goal, if I'm not mistaken you can use CTR cams on the stock B16 valvetrain, but you may want to confirm that with someone more knowledgeable than I.

ctr cams you'd have to be running ctr springs and retainers. I'm gonna go with s2s2 and supertech springs/retainers
Old 07-10-2017, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chance EG
I'd personally put in the extra work and few hundred dollars to put the pistons and different rods into a B20 block, and do a B20V setup, but I'm sure there's a lot of variables you're considering for your own car. The extra torque down low for a daily driver would make it a lot more enjoyable.

180->200WHP for a B16 is no joke. You'd need full bolt ons and probably at least CTR cams, or a set from Skunk2/Crower/Buddy Club or whatever.

Unless you meant 180->200 to the crankshaft, which could probably be accomplished with some pretty mild upgrades.
I'm going with s2s2 cams, supertech valves/springs/retainers, custom 2.5in exhaust, edelbrock intake manifold with a 70mm throttle body. I'm just not quite sure what to use as far as injectors go or a header. But I feel like I'll be pretty close to my goal. This is my first rebuild so honestly as long as it runs good I'm gonna be psyched haha. I'm skeptical on the b20vs I've seen a few people I know destroy them. Then again they're reving it up to 8200 with no mods to the b20 block. Lol
Old 07-10-2017, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts
Default Re: SavageEm1's B16 block rebuild progress thread

Originally Posted by SavageEm1
I'm going with s2s2 cams, supertech valves/springs/retainers, custom 2.5in exhaust, edelbrock intake manifold with a 70mm throttle body. I'm just not quite sure what to use as far as injectors go or a header. But I feel like I'll be pretty close to my goal. This is my first rebuild so honestly as long as it runs good I'm gonna be psyched haha. I'm skeptical on the b20vs I've seen a few people I know destroy them. Then again they're reving it up to 8200 with no mods to the b20 block. Lol
Sounds good then. Just a heads up, but Skunk says it's required to use their Pro valvetrain combo along with their cams. If you really want to use Supertech just make sure it all matches up OK and you have the correct spring pressure.