Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Power Division GSC N2 Cams - Always Check P2V & Degree Before Install!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Division GSC N2 Cams - Always Check P2V & Degree Before Install!

Hey guys, I was doing tons of research on these camshafts before I got them, and I was going to stick them in my B20v, and did so.

The Dyno shop believed they could be ran on a stock bottom end b20v with a b16 head...

well, proof in the pudding that YOU SHOULD NOT use these camshafts in your b20v, without aftermarket pistons with LARGE valve reliefs.

the car ran fine without vtec, however, when vtec was enabled, the P2V clearance was not open enough, and broke my valves, and blew a hole in the piston

here are the specifications of the GSC N2 b16 camshafts. Uploading, because I did not find a SINGLE in-depth detail sheet online, and its pretty important to have them.

MAKE SURE YOUR P2V is CHECKED if you get them INSTALLED "PROFESSIONALLY". these jackasses did NOT check p2v, and it cost me 5k.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:17 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default re: Power Division GSC N2 Cams - Always Check P2V & Degree Before Install!

Yuck! I'm really sorry for your loss there..

With that, I guess I don't want to sound like a complete ***-hole, as I can truly empathize what's happened here (happened to me, myself once), however, your "discovery" was stated within their website literature.
You must also be clear that it was the fault of your installers not checking the piston-to-valve clearances, or set them on degree wheels as part of the installation procedure.
This is all on your installer doing dirt,(not you or GSC Power-Division) so, I'm glad you're at least clear about that.

From the GSC Power-Division Website Directly

"These cams are designed for full engine builds with higher compression and larger displacement full engine builds and bolting on mods suggested. "

In your defense, I'm sure that this could have been more clearly stated than simply one sentence, but if you weren't sure, it's best to contact them directly and get more information before ordering them, (or better yet, have your installer call them). Not only would you/they have had more information to work with, but I can understand from their perspective why GSC doesn't post every detail online for others to copy. That's why you get a cam card when you purchase them.

Now, if you felt compelled to help the rest of the community out to post your card online itself, then I'm sure no one can stop you, and you can do so. But the basic information was listed right below this sentence on their website directly. I know you're not pointing fingers at anyone, and trying to display the "lesson learned" approach, but, at first glance of the post, it does appear you're pointing fault to them because they didn't have all of their information posted at a glance on their website.

At the same time I see it from both angles. They are not obligated to post that card up themselves. They know the risks of doing that are that the flood-gates open with copy-cats to try and manufacture those for themselves. There's Intellectual Property at stake here. It goes back to ... "When in doubt.. CALL".

Again, I'm really sorry to see this go bye-bye like that, (I truly hope you can get it back on its wheels soon someday), but when it comes to aftermarket camshafts, you know as well as anyone else, that you need to see if it meets your specific needs, (which may mean a phone call to them, not just an e-mail) then, when you receive them, measure twice (including claying the engine if need be) and install once.

Last edited by TheShodan; 01-09-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:24 PM
GDD Lonely Krew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Power Division GSC N2 Cams - Always Check P2V & Degree Before Install!

This is the problem with so many people wanting and companys producing drop-in cams. Everyone thinks they can get away with just bolting them in and not doing their diligence with degreeing and measurements. Super unfortunate here, and although it is definitely the builders responsibility in this case, you should really have gone elsewhere when they told you you dont need to measure. Those are not small cams by any means and even with a low comp B20V, a reputable shop would have known that the OEM pistons dont have the reliefs to accommodate big cams like that.

The worst part is if you try to get something for your troubles out of the shop that did this (assuming they want to help AT ALL) they will try to offer you a discount on the next build. But who in their right mind would let a shop that did this your engine try a second time? I know I wouldn't. Best of luck, consider this a 5k class in the finer aspects of engine building... Next time I build an engine it's either going to one of the known industry pros (4Piston, Inlinepro, Laskey, etc.) or I am going to build it myself. Too many hacks out there trying to take short cuts..
Old 01-13-2018, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Power Division GSC N2 Cams - Always Check P2V & Degree Before Install!

i am soley blaming the shop and the tech who installed them.
i was told they will work, without a single question.

i was even reluctant to use them in the first place until he said he's used them with no problem and would make GOOD power for my build- (this was a TUNER AND THE OWNER who said this)- i have it in writing TWICE.

my attorney and I have filed a civil small claims tort case, basically saying they did not due dilligence to make sure destruction of my property would not happen, in a nutshell.
it was a motor that was running cleanly for 700 miles, and that was on a tuned basemap, using GSR cams.

i approached this company because ive heard from numerous reports they were worth their salt.... CLEARLY not.

again, i was not allowed to give the tuner the camshaft card, "since he didnt need them"- owner

filing suit for 4900
Old 01-13-2018, 08:13 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

From this point forward, it's best to reference Hatch Man's other thread, for details to this. I will close this thread as it is no longer relevant in its current state.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...ngine-3311746/