Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

piston installed on rod backwards

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default piston installed on rod backwards

As I was buttoning up the bottom end of my motor I noticed that I mislabeled one of the pistons--I wrote "intake" on the exhaust side and "exhaust" on the intake side--well I installed the rods onto the pistons using what I wrote on the pistons. They are Eagle rods and SRP pistons held in with spiro-locks. So I am taking the rod out to turn the whole thing around--here is the thing though--I installed the side of the rod with the bearing tang pointing towards the exhaust--just like the stock pistons are. NOw the rod and piston that was backwards--I cannot do this, if I turn the piston around, the bearing tang will be on the intake side of the piston. I know the Oem does this because the oil hole points toward the intake--but the Eagles have no such hole--I don't want to take the pistons off the rods because I am afraid I will ruin the spriro-locks and I don't have anymore and I want to get this bottom end together by tonite. Help.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:28 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: piston installed on rod backwards (d16dcoe45)

spin it around and re-tang your rod. thats all you can do without taking the piston off. dont reply to this just haul *** to the machine shop before they close, theyll probably tang it for 10 bucks real quick. bring cash. run forrest, run.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:05 PM

Default Re: piston installed on rod backwards (xDEFTONESx)

thanks--but I CAREFULLY took out the sprio-lock without hurting it, turned piston around, and put it back. It used to take me, I kid you not--45 minutes to install each spiro-lock and I would bend and mangle it--I realised I was fighting it and now I can put them in in like 30 seconds. But, what would have happened if I installed it with the tang on the "wrong" side?
Old 10-26-2006, 02:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: piston installed on rod backwards (d16dcoe45)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d16dcoe45 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks--but I CAREFULLY took out the sprio-lock without hurting it, turned piston around, and put it back. It used to take me, I kid you not--45 minutes to install each spiro-lock and I would bend and mangle it--I realised I was fighting it and now I can put them in in like 30 seconds. But, what would have happened if I installed it with the tang on the "wrong" side?</TD></TR></TABLE>

nothing. you could have mirrored the tang, put the hold thing in backwards and been fine. rods dont give a **** which way they spin, but bearings do.