Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

My All Motor LS Non VTEC build

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My All Motor LS Non VTEC build

I figured I'd share my build, just because it's not something you see everyday or something thats documented by everybody like a GSR or LS/V build.. This is my first motor build and wanted to do something different, it might not be the fastest but oh well, it's what I wanna do I just want some general opinions or critisim or whatever you want to say about it, feel free.

If you want more of a background on the car check my build thread

I've got the majority of the parts already just waiting to get the head and block back and assembly will begin.

Specs:

-B18b1 bored to 81.25mm
-.25mm over OEM PR3 B16 pistons/rings
-stock rods with ARP rod bolts
-Clevite bearings
-P72 GSR oil pump, PR4 LS water pump
-ARP headstuds
-OEM gaskets/seals
-Pretty much everything is going to be new on this motor

-P75 head
-Ported/polished, valve job, assembled by Steve Dandrea at CCcylinderheads
-Crower dual valve springs/retainers
-Supertech stock size valves/valve guides
-Brian Crower Stage 2 cams
-XSPower intake manifold
-Omni Power 68mm TB
-Hondata intake manifold gasket
-310ccc Injectors
-Walbro 190 fuel pump
-B&M FPR

-cable b16 tranny, carbon syncros ect ect.
-Competition 2100 stage 2 clutch
-Hondata S100
-Hytech replica header
-2.5" test pipe
-2.5" exhaust with Tanabe Muffler

I plan on having the rev limiter set at 7500rpm, the cams are pretty much good for that then power drops off from what I've seen plus I dont really need a 9k rpm LS lmao, I guess we'll see what the power band looks like on the dyno. Should make for a really fun hatch to drive

Last edited by xSteve_Ox; 10-07-2010 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Forgot some stuff lol
Old 10-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Re: My All Motor LS Non VTEC build

what header are you going to run on it?
Old 10-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Forgot some stuff lol, Hytech replica still
Old 10-07-2010, 05:25 PM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What made you choose that particular intake manifold?
Old 10-07-2010, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Had BCstg2s in my B20z but never got it tuned. It ran pretty good though, this sounds like a good build!
Old 10-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I ran that same i.m. on my ls-t and it helped alot on top end, were you could fee the power fell off before at 6800 it held till 7400 and seemed like it wanted more but I didn't wanna rev a stock motor that high. I also paid $20 for it used
Old 10-07-2010, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice build looking forward for to see what it makes, your build is similar to what i'm going to do. LS baby
Old 10-08-2010, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I appreciate all the replies

Originally Posted by 00Red_SiR
What made you choose that particular intake manifold?
I didn't really "choose" it, When I had my first LS swap the motor was boosted with an XS Power turbo kit, the kit was sold at some point but the intake manifold stayed it what I'm guessing happened. LS manifolds like the head isn't well flowing and from what I can find out it flows pretty damn well, similar to a Skunk2 counterpart. Everybody asks me "You have a what kind of of intake mani??!" But it seems like the older Honda guys know what it is? Maybe more popular back in the day.

Originally Posted by gutted-dx
Had BCstg2s in my B20z but never got it tuned. It ran pretty good though, this sounds like a good build!
Please share your expierences!! From what I see they are inbetween a 403 and 404?

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor
I ran that same i.m. on my ls-t and it helped alot on top end, were you could fee the power fell off before at 6800 it held till 7400 and seemed like it wanted more but I didn't wanna rev a stock motor that high. I also paid $20 for it used
It's not a bad piece I say

Originally Posted by six7one
Nice build looking forward for to see what it makes, your build is similar to what i'm going to do. LS baby
I'm curious to see what it makes as well, heres how I'll put it...

If it makes-

-160whp=Very disapointed
-high 170'swhp=satisfied
-in the 180's=Happy
-doubt it but more?= I'll **** my self lol

Just got a call as I was typing this... block is done and being assembled, I'll be picking it up on a day off of work next week

Last edited by xSteve_Ox; 10-08-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

noice.

I just shaved off the xs power part that was on the mani lol.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Please share your expierences!! From what I see they are inbetween a 403 and 404?

They made good over all power without losing any driveability. As I said I didn't have it tuned, so I can't you numbers I made but it did Idle like stock. It also didn't require any cam tuning from the few threads I saw that used them.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:48 PM
All Motor Mentor

Originally Posted by xSteve_Ox
I didn't really "choose" it, When I had my first LS swap the motor was boosted with an XS Power turbo kit, the kit was sold at some point but the intake manifold stayed it what I'm guessing happened. LS manifolds like the head isn't well flowing and from what I can find out it flows pretty damn well, similar to a Skunk2 counterpart. Everybody asks me "You have a what kind of of intake mani??!" But it seems like the older Honda guys know what it is? Maybe more popular back in the day.

It's made by SS autochrome and was never really considered to be a quality piece. On a turbo setup, it probably would have worked because on forced induction everything "works". On an NA motor they never performed that great.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good to see another all motor non v build keep it up!
Old 10-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Junk the xs manifold trust me ive had one before. Line it up to a gasket and see for yourself how far off it is (like a 1/4 inch lower) or slide it on the head leave a little gap and look it. As far off as it is youd be better off running a stock manifold. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'll trade you my stock p75 for it then lol
Old 10-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

or he could just gasket match it...
Old 10-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gutted-dx

They made good over all power without losing any driveability. As I said I didn't have it tuned, so I can't you numbers I made but it did Idle like stock. It also didn't require any cam tuning from the few threads I saw that used them.
I haven't got the cams/cam gears yet but I am going to be getting Golden Eagle cam gears. I just don't want to be dissapointed with my cam choice or get a cam that is going to be too aggressive to drive everyday..

Originally Posted by 00Red_SiR
It's made by SS autochrome and was never really considered to be a quality piece. On a turbo setup, it probably would have worked because on forced induction everything "works". On an NA motor they never performed that great.
Looks decent quality to me, I've seen worse from ebay type companies. Another member put out damn good power with the same manifold on a LS with P73 pistons so we'll see.

Originally Posted by dc2_dustin!
good to see another all motor non v build keep it up!
Thanks

Originally Posted by EH3forlife
Junk the xs manifold trust me ive had one before. Line it up to a gasket and see for yourself how far off it is (like a 1/4 inch lower) or slide it on the head leave a little gap and look it. As far off as it is youd be better off running a stock manifold. Just my 2 cents.
I did and it lines up fine both to the head and gasket. Maybe 1mm off on 1 or 2 ports but barley noticable but I took take care of with a Dremel.

Originally Posted by dc2_dustin!
i'll trade you my stock p75 for it then lol
Lol Keeping it.

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor
or he could just gasket match it...
Just did
Old 10-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2 questions for you guys...

-What should be the max rpm on this motor? I know I won't really know where the power will land until I make final choice on cams... but on this bottom end which is: stock polished crank, stock "reconditioned" rods with ARP's, and Clevite bearings and a GSR oil pump?

-What spark plug should be used? Stock will do or do I need to run a different one for the higher compression? I know I could search it but I'm in a rush right this minute lol
Old 10-13-2010, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BC2's are pretty much the lift of 404's with the duration of 403's...so yeah, in between you could say. Mine idle fantastic and the powerband is quite good...can be easily shifted around with the cam gears. They're really not at all aggressive for daily use...my gas mileage is even still good. Just my experience with the BC2's...they don't seem to want to rev particularly high on my motor(stock bottom end, tried a variety of headers, P30 intake manifold) so you may not need a particularly high rev limit. Given your ported head and higher compression...your results may vary. If my memory serves me correctly, that intake manifold is going to shift your powerband upwards as well.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AltimaXX
BC2's are pretty much the lift of 404's with the duration of 403's...so yeah, in between you could say. Mine idle fantastic and the powerband is quite good...can be easily shifted around with the cam gears. They're really not at all aggressive for daily use...my gas mileage is even still good. Just my experience with the BC2's...they don't seem to want to rev particularly high on my motor(stock bottom end, tried a variety of headers, P30 intake manifold) so you may not need a particularly high rev limit. Given your ported head and higher compression...your results may vary. If my memory serves me correctly, that intake manifold is going to shift your powerband upwards as well.
Thanks for sharing, Did you ever put it on a dyno and get some numbers? What car/tranny did the setup have? Idk part of me just says quit being a biotch and go with 404's lol I know they put out power and if tuned right they say and be very streetable for the same damn price and I kinda want it to lope a lil. I guess I'll be up all night looking at different setups.

Got the block back today.. wasn't planning on getting it all together but well I did lol.. just didnt bolt up the alt. yet.

Nothing special yet so no real need for tons of pics lol

+Still curious about rev limit and spark plugs??
Old 10-15-2010, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by xSteve_Ox
Thanks for sharing, Did you ever put it on a dyno and get some numbers? What car/tranny did the setup have? Idk part of me just says quit being a biotch and go with 404's lol I know they put out power and if tuned right they say and be very streetable for the same damn price and I kinda want it to lope a lil. I guess I'll be up all night looking at different setups.

Got the block back today.. wasn't planning on getting it all together but well I did lol.. just didnt bolt up the alt. yet.

Nothing special yet so no real need for tons of pics lol

+Still curious about rev limit and spark plugs??
No, it never has been dyno'd. It's hooked to a GSR trans in a 2300ish lb Integra.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This was a good thread until I saw clevite bearings. Why on earth would you choose clevite over honda? Its the little things that go a long way.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:08 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

clevite work good

i beat the **** out of em
Old 10-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AltimaXX
No, it never has been dyno'd. It's hooked to a GSR trans in a 2300ish lb Integra.
Should be interesting in a 2100ish lb hatch with my tranny..

Originally Posted by DA9toED6
This was a good thread until I saw clevite bearings. Why on earth would you choose clevite over honda? Its the little things that go a long way.
Clearances are more important than brand, if the company/product was junk they'd be out of bussiness by now.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/clevite-77-acl-bearings-2596923/

I think I'll be fine.

Originally Posted by EHondaJDM
clevite work good

i beat the **** out of em
I plan on it
Old 10-15-2010, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

run the 404s youll be happiers in the long run. I ran em in a b20b in my da with a itr 4-1 header, gasket matched p75 intake mani and head, and a b16 tranny and it ran like a raped god damn ape. It was untuned and i never had any problems with it starting on cold mornings or anything. I spent alot of time setting the timing,and setting the tps and got it to idle alot better(sounds wierd right... messing with the tps voltage but this is because i had to idle it up to overcome the lope of the cams so the tps was a little out of wack.)

I got decent mileage, a load of power and a little 4 cylinder that got compliments from muscle car guys on the way it sounded. It was one hell of a motor and i regret getting rid of it but life goes on right.

It was one hell of a loud bitch though as i never ran an exhaust the whole time i had it. lol do a street pull real quick and pass someone on the side walk and they were covering their ears from it.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Truth. An open header LS, particularly a cammed one, is loud as hell.

Quick Reply: My All Motor LS Non VTEC build