Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

MSD vs STOCK ignition

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD vs STOCK ignition

would I see improvement over the stock ignition with a MSD kit on a VTEC B20 puting down 220whp 159wtq 94oct. gas ?
Old 09-23-2004, 08:21 AM
12 Years Strong

Default Re: MSD vs STOCK ignition (pr3B20pwr)

I have always heard no, stock Honda ignition works very well, until you make a rediculous amount of power
Old 09-23-2004, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MSD vs STOCK ignition (HybridHatch88)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HybridHatch88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have always heard no, stock Honda ignition works very well, until you make a rediculous amount of power</TD></TR></TABLE>
I have also been told that exact same thing...Unless your car is an all motor/turbo drag car puttin down huge numbers....
Old 09-23-2004, 09:50 AM

Default Re: MSD vs STOCK ignition (92RED Hatch)

Alot of people think that an ignition system is supposed to give you more horsepower. Thats not really the case. It just improves effiency. Below 3k it will spark twice per cycle. It will run a bit smoother, and get a bit better mileage. After that it's just a more powerful spark. When you put one on though you can gap your plugs about .005-.010 bigger and you don't have to worry about the flame not burning completly. They do help and your car will feel better. But its probably not going to give you 2 tenths in the quarter mile.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: MSD vs STOCK ignition (HybridHatch88)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HybridHatch88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have always heard no, stock Honda ignition works very well, until you make a rediculous amount of power</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very True! Dont waste your money!
Old 09-23-2004, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i only use my msd cause of the 2 step
Old 09-23-2004, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (stock93cx)

stock ignition works wonders....
Old 09-23-2004, 12:12 PM

Default Re: (H.A.R.T B16AEG6)

i have the base model msd6 using honda internal coil. it feels much smoother, and it also make my motor feel more aggressive.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dyn0speed)

What did it take to install that using your stock coil, I've thought about doing the same thing I have the same MSD any help would be great thanks.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:00 PM

It can only cause problems on a almost stock motor. It caused some problems on mine
Old 09-24-2004, 12:19 PM

Default Re: (topspeed86)

msd= 6 wire

2= battery -,+
2= 12 volt primary -,+ inside dizzy
2= coil secondary voltage -,+ inside dizzy

wire color are in the back of ur msd

tats it! ur done, the hard part is hiding the wire!
Old 09-25-2004, 11:45 PM

Default Re: MSD vs STOCK ignition (pr3B20pwr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pr3B20pwr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">would I see improvement over the stock ignition with a MSD kit on a VTEC B20 puting down 220whp 159wtq 94oct. gas ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

im sure they will give you some juice of course improving efficiency the 1st priority....i got friends done it....they said it worths the bucks...but make you u go with full kits....semi kits are gay...also with turbo charger too

but dont you need to get the MDS tuned too, you should right...
Old 09-25-2004, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MSD vs STOCK ignition (yeegsr)

so what would be a good gap to gap the plugs at?

i got the msd sci for free so i bought the cap and coil to use it.

where should i gap my plugs at? i hear gap them smaller and then i hear bigger...what is it?

i have a gsr motor with the full msd kit
Old 09-26-2004, 01:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

have anyone heard of the MSD hurtin the cars performance...my friend actually went slower wit his car once it was put in (as you guys said, his car wasnt putting huge numbers either)
but most of my friends swear by it because they run their cars with so much fuel, they need the extra help to make the car run more efficient..
Old 09-26-2004, 03:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

Keep the ignition stock if you aren't using the MSD for its 2-step or soft-cut rev limiter. The MSD tends to fry your stock ignitor due to its multiple sparking sequence. Many guys would end up being slower after installing MSD because their ignition sytem is aging. By installing a high output ignition to aging stock components, the stock ignition often craps out right away.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (Tony the Tiger)

MSD on a relatively stock motor: It's not worth the headaches.

From my past experiences anyways, I'm staying with the OEM ignition setup now.

I used to run a D16Y8 with an AEM CAI, DC 4-1 header, AEM Catback exhaust with 75 shots nitrous via Zex, and an MSD Digital 6+ w/ Blaster SS coil.

Headed to LACR from Santa Barbara (130 mile trip, EACH WAY). No biggie. 5 PM, gates at the track open at 5:30, I'm on the highway 14, about 15 miles from Palmdale, my car craps out. One of those cool tow trucks that patrol the highway stops and tows me to the next town, which is Acton. I got stuck there for 4 hours waiting for a friend to come get me and bring me some money for a tow. Next day, my friend takes a look at it. He ran a performance shop and has installed hundreds of MSD units over the course of a decade. The unit crapped out. He bypassed the Digital 6 and ran it straight off the coil to the distributor and the car ran fine. MSD replaced the unit with another Digital 6.

When pulling the new Digital 6 out of it's box, we hear rattling...oh boy...didn't want to install that bad boy and have any loose metal pieces in there play connect the dots, so that's two units in a row that went bad. 3rd one I ran for about 6 months. Anyone interested in it with a Blaster SS coil? I'll give a good deal
Old 09-26-2004, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (-=Zeqs=-)

i use MSD full kit feels alittle more power then stock , but also drives alot smoother and i love the 2 step , and i run 103oct. in my car my .02
Old 09-26-2004, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (jdm92daintegra)

I agree, when they work, they are great. When they go down though, they are a pain in the ***. The Honda ignition system works fine, but the 2 step can be nice. A lazy *** like myself though, I'd rather just stick with the OEM ignition system since it's not broken. Why fix it then, right?
Old 09-26-2004, 12:39 PM

car run slower with msd???? lol!!! i have my msd for at least a year now, no problem at all. without it my car feels very rought. Ur hombois car has machanical problem man. b16a2 with only msd 6
Old 09-26-2004, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (Dyn0speed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dyn0speed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">car run slower with msd???? lol!!! i have my msd for at least a year now, no problem at all. without it my car feels very rought. Ur hombois car has machanical problem man. b16a2 with only msd 6</TD></TR></TABLE>

Only a year and you talk like you have experience with MSD. Try running 7 years with MSD on a built B18C1 motor with 9500RPM and going through 2 distributors and 5 ignitors.

To run MSD, you have to keep on top of maintenance and keep the ignition system in top shape. Obviously you can run with a crappy ignition system, but you'll lose performance without even knowing it. I could restore up to 20 WHP by replacing to a new ignitor yet the engine still runs "flawlessly" and doesn't misfire...lol
Old 09-26-2004, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (Dyn0speed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dyn0speed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">car run slower with msd???? lol!!! i have my msd for at least a year now, no problem at all. without it my car feels very rought. Ur hombois car has machanical problem man. b16a2 with only msd 6</TD></TR></TABLE>

I never said my car didn't run slower with the MSD. I just said that I've had two crappy units in a row. The only mechanical problem I had with my car was the Digital 6 (MSD), crapping out on me on my way to the racetrack, during the summer, pretty much at the desert.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (Tony the Tiger)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tony the Tiger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Only a year and you talk like you have experience with MSD. Try running 7 years with MSD on a built B18C1 motor with 9500RPM and going through 2 distributors and 5 ignitors.

To run MSD, you have to keep on top of maintenance and keep the ignition system in top shape. Obviously you can run with a crappy ignition system, but you'll lose performance without even knowing it. I could restore up to 20 WHP by replacing to a new ignitor yet the engine still runs "flawlessly" and doesn't misfire...lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

Word. Everything requires maintenance in some shape or another. I just feel that the stock ignition system requires less than the MSD one, the trade off being that the power potential of the stock one isn't as high. However, on a near stock engine, the difference isn't substantial. So in my situation, rather than reusing the Digital 6 on an all-motor engine that is receiving plenty of spark for the demands on it at the moment, I'd rather not have to put more wear on the system and have to maintain more items than I need to at this point in time. The money for what would have been the maintenance can go to other things at this point such as track and dyno time.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:56 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaeg8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so what would be a good gap to gap the plugs at?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

MSD says .005~.010 over stock. On a gs-r about .057~.062
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tony the Tiger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

To run MSD, you have to keep on top of maintenance and keep the ignition system in top shape. Obviously you can run with a crappy ignition system, but you'll lose performance without even knowing it. I could restore up to 20 WHP by replacing to a new ignitor yet the engine still runs "flawlessly" and doesn't misfire...lol</TD></TR></TABLE> Over 6 years Ive been running mine in my teg. I only replaced it once because I thought that what was going out on my car. It was running like crap. Little did I know it was my brand new NGK wires that took a **** and my box was fine. BY the way I also replaced everything else, electrical and fuel related. I've had the box thats in my car now in for over 4 years and not one problem.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:49 PM

Default Re: MSD vs STOCK ignition (hondaeg8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaeg8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so what would be a good gap to gap the plugs at?

i got the msd sci for free so i bought the cap and coil to use it.
where should i gap my plugs at? i hear gap them smaller and then i hear bigger...what is it?
i have a gsr motor with the full msd kit</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes i know you heard smaller and bigger....

smaller provide more aggressive ignition and lessen the miss-firing engine...low hp engine tend to have little farther gap...big power engine suck as turbo or sc tend to have closer gap because engine power is huge now ignition requires a quicker and more accurate from plugs so there you go how much power do you have
Old 09-29-2004, 12:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MSD vs STOCK ignition (yeegsr)

jdm gsr motor with basic bolt ons and a 60 shot of giggle juice