Old 09-23-2003, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (1fasthb)

i also rode on my friends hatch with h22 and it feels very nice also
Old 09-23-2003, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (StorminMatt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StorminMatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I had thought about doing this. This way, you only need one new mount (unless engine placement is not good with a typical B-series mount kit for a 1988-1991). And you don't have to worry about the hassles of the shift cables or hydraulic issues (on a 1988-1991).</TD></TR></TABLE>

I prefer the B series shift link over the H series any day. I'll let you guys know how it works out......
Old 09-23-2003, 11:29 PM

Default Re: (Project_EGG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Project_EGG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A very tough decision in my opinion. I, as a matter of fact, am facing the very same decision. The c5 I think will cost a lil more. The h22 has a **** load of torque. But which is better? I have riden in an h22eg and all I could say was "wow". I mean, it dynos stock at approx. 180/153. What other motor can do that??? Stock..... But, the topic will always be debated. </TD></TR></TABLE>

the h22 does not dyno at 180 stock whp wise...
Old 09-24-2003, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: more potential: h22 or b18c5 (ek_jeremy)

I'm going to say the H22 has more potential, simply because it's been less tuned from the factory. The ITR has already had alot squeezed out of it. Nevertheless, or maybe because of that, I'd pick the ITR motor any day.

As for the GSR motor...you might be able to make as much power as an ITR motor with it but it will not last nearly as long. I don't like keeping tabs on how often I redline my engine.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: more potential: h22 or b18c5 (Lsos)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As for the GSR motor...you might be able to make as much power as an ITR motor with it but it will not last nearly as long. I don't like keeping tabs on how often I redline my engine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The GSR + ITR can take a beating and live to tell. Same with B16...you can beat the **** out of them and not have to worry.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: more potential: h22 or b18c5 (SilverEk3dr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SilverEk3dr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The GSR + ITR can take a beating and live to tell. Same with B16...you can beat the **** out of them and not have to worry.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I absolutely agree. However, I'm talking about a GSR that had it's output increased with aftermarker parts and possibly increased redline. It will not last as long as an ITR motor at stock settings. Honda went to great lengths to ensure the durability of the ITR motor at the higher rpm.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (skunked)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skunked &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I'm looking to fabricate a kit that will mount any B series tranny to the H22.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Man, that would be great if u or someone actually did that. Wasn't there someone who actually created an adapter plate to bolt a b-series tranny to a d-series motor? I can't remenber who it was.

In my opinion i think that the h-series will make more power than the b-series motors. No replace for displacement. Plus it has the same r/s ratio as the b18c/r motors and the head flows better. I 'm not too sure if rev's replaces displacement but i think that the h-series can rev just as high and produce power just as any built b-series can if the motor is built right. Just my opinion.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SpdFrk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpdFrk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
In my opinion i think that the h-series will make more power than the b-series motors. No replace for displacement. Plus it has the same r/s ratio as the b18c/r motors and the head flows better. I 'm not too sure if rev's replaces displacement but i think that the h-series can rev just as high and produce power just as any built b-series can if the motor is built right. Just my opinion.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I agree.....That's the reason behind the idea.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SpdFrk)

If you're looking for power, there are plently of replacements for displacement.

Besides that, while displacement is important you have to actually use it. Compare Antarctica to Mahattan island. Which piece of land would you prefer to own? Same with engines...what good for us is a 10 liter engine if it puts out half the power of a 2 liter engine?
Old 09-24-2003, 10:45 AM

i'd go gs-r with boost!

or h22 if you want to stick with n/a.

the b18c5 is way more than an h22 eveywhere that i've checked.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I choose B series... the ability of a properly built and tuned B series motor to rev up 9k-10k is to die for...
Old 09-24-2003, 11:02 AM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (93eg6)

the thing i will miss is going to not be able to rev up to 10k

Old 09-24-2003, 11:40 AM

Default Re: (skunked)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skunked &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I prefer the B series shift link over the H series any day. I'll let you guys know how it works out......</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, the shift linkages feels much better than the cable shifters.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpdFrk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Man, that would be great if u or someone actually did that. Wasn't there someone who actually created an adapter plate to bolt a b-series tranny to a d-series motor? I can't remenber who it was. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think Bisi made an adapter plate for the d series tranny so that it can mount to his f series motor.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:01 PM

you only need to rev to 9k when you have no Tq
Old 09-24-2003, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (infinatenexus)

that depends on a lot of things... sometimes you'll be surprised...
Old 09-24-2003, 05:12 PM

Default Re: (C_A_T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by C_A_T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">One of the biggest problems facing B-series guys right now is getting enough head flow, followed by valve clearance issues with big cams. With the H-motor you not only get a better head, but for a given lift you can flow more air with the bigger valves.

C_A_T</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very well "said", Sir Shawn. I completely agree!
Old 10-10-2003, 06:42 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: (Bob-DC2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bob-DC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tq may be decieveing, but hp isnt

if a h22 is makign 200whp and a b18cx is making 200 whp

the h22 will have way more tq and more power.

remember folks its not the peak numbers, its the area under the curve

btw, im selling my b setup for an h22

im have a lil slanted view</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well you forgot applied torque and hp, which take into account GEARING, which the H series absilutely SUCK for.

Old 10-10-2003, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (drchulo)

I would go with the c5 or get a B18C1 and put the extra money into it.
I wouldnt go h-series unless its in a tube chassis car. its not worth it. plus it weighs more
Old 10-10-2003, 07:02 AM
New User

Default Re: (B18C5-EH2)

True. Unless you can ditch the fairly cruddy H tranny I'd stick with the B series. Much better aftermarket parts availability and trannies.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:50 AM
Trial User

This is the same thing as Big Block vs Small Block. I honestly think the H22 has more potential, but has no where near the aftermarket support that a B-series has. Right now, I'd personally take a B series, but if I had the time and money a H series is better.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:00 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: (TimoneX)

Okay here's a few interesting links for you B18C5 vs. H22A guys.

This one is how my B18C5 hatch stakced up against an equally prepared H22A hatchback. It lists mods, weight reduction, etc. to show that both cars were truly equal in terms of bolt-ons, weight, LSD, slicks, etc.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=290461

And here's the results of the 1/4 mile shhotout. Bascially I ran 13.3 to his 13.7 and the H22A even had only one seat in it at the time.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=290461

We both had the same exact 20'' slicks and both pulled the same 2.0 60 footers.

My impression from driving H22A civics is that they are not what everyone makes them out to be. Yes they feel torquey, but like others have said the torque makes it only feel quicker than it is, and I've never driven/ridden in any H22A Civic that outpulled my basic bolt-ons B18C5 swap.

Also I'm not even touching the handling aspect. I don't care what anyone says, the extra 85lbs. can be felt in the H22A Civics i've driven. I'd have to run a crazy-*** ***-happy set-up to even feel decent in an H22A Civic IMO. The extra weight up front does make the car feel more nose heavy - this is from experience, not hearsay. True you can shed weight up front by relocating the battery, etc. but do the same to the B Civic and it will handle even that much better.

My shop did do an H22A with a knife-edged and balanced crank, and that ONE revs nicely with the lightweight flywheel, etc. but it still doesn't feel as quick as it should be IMO.

Again gearing kills the H22A. I posted the charts once before where it shows that the H22A has the same 1st and 5th gears as the B16A/ITR tranny, but the 2-4 gears are way spaced apart. the rpm drop too much when upshifting into 2nd. 3rd. and 4th, but when shifting from 4th to 5th the rpm barely drop - retarded IMO. I don't know why honda would not just give a it a taller 5th gear to be a hwy terror.

Also the H22A trannies have a 4.26FD instead of the closer, better 4.400 found stock in the B16A/B18C5 trannies.

Stock for stock with bolt-ons, I think the B18C5 is clearly better.

Overall fully built potential though, I think the H22A would be better. This is bascially given a virtually unlimited budget though, so IMO I'd rather do a mild B18C5 build.

Read those links and tell me what you guys think.

Old 10-10-2003, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

tq may be decieveing, but hp isnt
if a h22 is makign 200whp and a b18cx is making 200 whp

the h22 will have way more tq and more power.

remember folks its not the peak numbers, its the area under the curve

btw, im selling my b setup for an h22

im have a lil slanted view

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well you forgot applied torque and hp, which take into account GEARING, which the H series absilutely SUCK for.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

If they're both making 200hp, then how does the h22 have more power... I can figure it having more torque, but that would be offset by other factors such as the weight of the engine (in an identical weight car) and gearing
Old 10-10-2003, 08:25 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: (VolpeOwnsU)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If they're both making 200hp, then how does the h22 have more power... I can figure it having more torque, but that would be offset by other factors such as the weight of the engine (in an identical weight car) and gearing

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly my point.

More so the gearing than the extra weigh when it comes to drag, but the weight certainly affects the handling.

I'm not sayong "H22A civics can't turn" but I am saying that it will require more work to get them to feel more neutral or even ***-happy.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:56 AM
Trial User

most people dont know what parts, or where to get good parts for the h22. so the run a crap *** header and other stuff

my challenge will still stand to others

i know the gearing sucks. but when you make 20+whp and 20+w tq that should compensate for things
Old 10-10-2003, 09:41 AM
Trial User

I'm also a firm beliver that bigger has to be better...
However people with b-series seem to be faster, so perhaps the proof is in the pudding.

Quick Reply: more potential: h22 or b18c5