All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

LS/VTEC using stock breather box setup = too much pressure???

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS/VTEC using stock breather box setup = too much pressure???

Would the stock PCV/Breather box setup on an ls/vtec setup yield too much internal pressure where it would cause oil to squirt out my rear main seal and oil pan gasket?

Do I need to get an aftermarket breather box/catch can?

My setup:

B18a1 Block
ITR head
OS P30 Pistons
stock pvc/breather box setup
ITR IM
Put down 187whp.

If you need any more info, just let me know.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:26 PM
All Motor Mentor

Default Re: LS/VTEC using stock breather box setup = too much pressure??? (92integraVTECgsr)

Who put your block together? Sounds like some seals may be installed incorrectly and or the block was not properly bored/machined or possibly ringed and therefore you're getting lots of blow by.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/VTEC using stock breather box setup = too much pressure??? (00Red_SiR)

I assembled it. What seals could possibly be installed incorrectly?

I am not burning oil out the tailpipe.

I am leaking oil from in between my block and transmission. I've replaced the rear main seal twice by my self, and a third time had my friend do it who is a tech at Acura.

I've replaced the oil pan gasket as well.

The car does not burn oil, it ONLY LEAKS. It is NOT coming from my dist. o-ring or the plug on the bottom of the head that is tapped. It is coming from between the trans and the block. I've also tightened the plug and put ultra gray on it.

It seems like it now only leaks the most when the car is above 4500rpm's.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/VTEC using stock breather box setup = too much pressure??? (92integraVTECgsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00Red_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Who put your block together? Sounds like some seals may be installed incorrectly and or the block was not properly bored/machined or possibly ringed and therefore you're getting lots of blow by.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Also, the motor was assembled and tuned on the dyno back in May. The motor runs great and I have not had any problems with it except for the oil leak.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:43 PM
All Motor Mentor

Ok well your first post said it was "squirting" out so it sounded worse.

Was the crank checked before it was installed? I've seen used cranks leak at the seal area if they weren't resurfaced/polished smooth before a new seal was installed.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/VTEC using stock breather box setup = too much pressure??? (00Red_SiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00Red_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok well your first post said it was "squirting" out so it sounded worse.

Was the crank checked before it was installed? I've seen used cranks leak at the seal area if they weren't resurfaced/polished smooth before a new seal was installed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ya I said squirting because that's what it seems like its doing. And no the crank wasn't polished or resurfaced before it was installed. My acura tech said it felt good. No wear spots of rough edges.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

oddly enough, i have a mysterious oil leak on mine also, also with no burning etc. i think that mine is the oil pan gasket but im not 100% since i keep loosing bolts.

it also sometime seems like a rear main, but i havent replaced mine yet.

let me know how you make out. was your crank run out ever measured?
Old 10-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/VTEC using stock breather box setup = too much pressure??? (killerpenguin21)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by killerpenguin21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oddly enough, i have a mysterious oil leak on mine also, also with no burning etc. i think that mine is the oil pan gasket but im not 100% since i keep loosing bolts.

it also sometime seems like a rear main, but i havent replaced mine yet.

let me know how you make out. was your crank run out ever measured?</TD></TR></TABLE>

See thats what I've thought too. It either the oil pan gasket/oil pan warped? or the rear main seal again.

I'll be removing the transmission again later this week.

But would high crankcase pressure cause the oil to "blow" out the through the oil pan gasket or rear main seal?
Old 10-07-2008, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While I didn't blow out any seals, I had a B18C5 that had enough pressure to blow the breater box out of the block at high RPM. I thought I blew the motor when I saw the cloud of smoke behind me from that **** hitting the header!
Old 10-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/VTEC using stock breather box setup = too much pressure??? (downest)

lol no I haven't blown the breather box out yet lol. I don't think I have too much pressure, but its just an idea/though.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

howd you manage to use a stock breather box on an ls/vtec? just out of curosity. i'm running the endyn kit on mine, works great
Old 10-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fronomo)

It's a B18a1 block so it has the breather box on the back of the block.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92integraVTECgsr)

it seems if it was excesive crank case pressure it would affect the oilpan gasket first. i would check that. they can get a little leaky if everything isnt done right. did you use hondabond on the corners,maybe overtightened the pan bolts during assembly breaking the gasket.
just some thoughts
Old 10-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (4g hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4g hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it seems if it was excesive crank case pressure it would affect the oilpan gasket first. i would check that. they can get a little leaky if everything isnt done right. did you use hondabond on the corners,maybe overtightened the pan bolts during assembly breaking the gasket.
just some thoughts </TD></TR></TABLE>

ya used a little hondabond on the corners. If they are over tightened, its VERY little, but it could be. I'll be putting a new gasket and rear main seal on again. I'm going to try and leave rear main seal out a little farther this time. The last 3 times, I've pushed it in to where it has always sat.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/VTEC using stock breather box setup = too much pressure???

i have to bring this thread up because i have the EXACT same problem and cant figure out how to fix the oil leak
Old 07-18-2009, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 92integraVTECgsr
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4g hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it seems if it was excesive crank case pressure it would affect the oilpan gasket first. i would check that. they can get a little leaky if everything isnt done right. did you use hondabond on the corners,maybe overtightened the pan bolts during assembly breaking the gasket.
just some thoughts </TD></TR></TABLE>

ya used a little hondabond on the corners. If they are over tightened, its VERY little, but it could be. I'll be putting a new gasket and rear main seal on again. I'm going to try and leave rear main seal out a little farther this time. The last 3 times, I've pushed it in to where it has always sat.
just throwin' out ideas for your next oil seal install.

from the helms manual. i'm a newb when building engines so it's what i follow always and never had leaks. maybe honda knows better and it's there for a reason.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ef92b
just throwin' out ideas for your next oil seal install.

from the helms manual. i'm a newb when building engines so it's what i follow always and never had leaks. maybe honda knows better and it's there for a reason.

your always a newb to the huge world of tuning sir!

op i hope you got your car fixed