Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

LS/VTEC problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS/VTEC problem

ok so i had my lsv build for about a few months already and it just recently got rebuilt so its running like 1k on the engine. Anyways im running a b16 head with b16 tranny on a LS block of course and a od1 p72 chipped with vtec @ 4.7k There is times I feel the full potential in my engine and others when the acceleration just feels sluggish. Today I was hitting it and i heard a change over around the 6.5k mark and my car hit it but other times it just doesn't kick. Can this be in my head or ecu problems, exhaust leak, vtec dying than coming back?
Old 06-23-2012, 04:39 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: LS/VTEC problem

Originally Posted by TeranceFL
ok so i had my lsv build for about a few months already and it just recently got rebuilt so its running like 1k on the engine. Anyways im running a b16 head with b16 tranny on a LS block of course and a od1 p72 chipped with vtec @ 4.7k There is times I feel the full potential in my engine and others when the acceleration just feels sluggish. Today I was hitting it and i heard a change over around the 6.5k mark and my car hit it but other times it just doesn't kick. Can this be in my head or ecu problems, exhaust leak, vtec dying than coming back?
Mainly tuning issues. Take it to the dyno and stop using "chips". get it properly tuned.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Mainly tuning issues. Take it to the dyno and stop using "chips". get it properly tuned.
I would get it properly tuned as soon as I have the money but for now I chipped it cause I was running no vtec after I got rebuilt and once I put it back vtec was dying early and the p72 redline was holding me back so I thought a chip will do.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not tuned is your problem. Imagine trying to throw darts at a moving dartboard. As long as the dartboard moves at a given speed you can probably learn to hit it. But now imagine the dartboard changes speed based on weather, how hard you throw, etc. Now change the darts you've been using. Your ECU can't compensate until you re-tune.

Oh, and if your VTEC "kicks" then it's not tuned well and you are leaving power on the table. The whole point is a smooth transition with max power at all RPMs.

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 06-24-2012, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by josephcmiller2
not tuned is your problem. Imagine trying to throw darts at a moving dartboard. As long as the dartboard moves at a given speed you can probably learn to hit it. But now imagine the dartboard changes speed based on weather, how hard you throw, etc. Now change the darts you've been using. Your ECU can't compensate until you re-tune.

Oh, and if your VTEC "kicks" then it's not tuned well and you are leaving power on the table. The whole point is a smooth transition with max power at all RPMs.

thank you dude
Old 07-13-2012, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so I realized when I'm running cold after letting my car sit for awhile it pulls but after driving for about 10mins, warms up and its back to sluggish feel. It cant even reach 8.2k when on warm. Is this still from not being tuned or bad chip or most latest suggestion my intake being heat soaked.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Should that green sensor be plugged in?

Old 07-15-2012, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ya.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Not if you ecu is chipped to bypass it. (vtec pressure switch) or you can bypass it through simple re-wiring.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by josephcmiller2

Not to many corrections going down in these old *** ECU's dude.
There is not much of a window of compensation the ECU can apply.
The retune is simply to adjust the stored values in all applicable maps to fit the demands of the custom engine/inj/fuel pressure/ect.
PGMFI is exactly what it is, programmed values, and must be reprogrammed for changes.

Although you are correct with the problem of being untuned
Old 07-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AllMtrRex
Not if you ecu is chipped to bypass it. (vtec pressure switch) or you can bypass it through simple re-wiring.
my ECU is chipped to bypass the O2 and knock sensor not vtec pressure switch. Is there anyway of knowing if its rewired already?
Old 07-15-2012, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Neither need the vtec pressure switch. If your ecu is not chipped to bypass it then just do the simple wiring bridge trick. Do not bother with this if you are not getting a cel for the vtec pressure switch.