Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

LS crank and rods in a GSR Block? Is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 12:22 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default re: LS crank and rods in a GSR Block? Is it possible?

Originally Posted by del_slow
Bringing this thread alive again. Great thread..doing the same work on my brothers car and learned a lot...So how are peoples motor running, with or without oil squitters...and so on.
Still good here.. 4.5 years, 40K and running strong. haven't touched a thing.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why would you run ls rods and pistons? They would decrease your compression if you are going for all motor. Running an LS crank with GSR rods and pistons would raise it above stock gsr comp. while also raising displacement. best of both worlds?
Old 04-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I doubt people running this setup is going to be using stock ls pistons. The reason why people choose to run this setup is for the small bump in displacement and you can't use gsr rods on an ls crank.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by DazeMS
why would you run ls rods and pistons? They would decrease your compression if you are going for all motor. Running an LS crank with GSR rods and pistons would raise it above stock gsr comp. while also raising displacement. best of both worlds?
Actually, no. I think you've misunderstood. we're not talking using Stock components, but LS length aftermarket rods and aftermarket pistons.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

try that and report back. you're gonna have some pistons coming out of the hole with gsr rods.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't run GSR rods on a LS crank due to the above. Also changing the length of rods does not change the displacement of the engine. You can run gsr pistons on ls rods though and that will increase the compression.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

assumptions assumptions.. GSR "style" rods are longer then ls style rods.. I dont see what the issue would be considering the combo I mentioned would only be by about ..002 Im pretty sure the p2v clearence would be fine..

Last edited by DazeMS; 04-12-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cruizinmax
You don't run GSR rods on a LS crank due to the above. Also changing the length of rods does not change the displacement of the engine. You can run gsr pistons on ls rods though and that will increase the compression.
... herp derpy derp derp.. no ****. did I say it did? and you will have still fallen short of a stock gsr comp.. effectively making this ordeal worthless.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Actually, no. I think you've misunderstood. we're not talking using Stock components, but LS length aftermarket rods and aftermarket pistons.
neither am "I" .. but if using aftermarket pistons , what comp would you start with to get the desired benefit, while upping the output of the gsr from its stock comp or even back to its stock comp?

nevermind.. i calculated my own question..
Seems running and ITR style piston on an LS rod and crank would be pretty doable.. comp would be around 11.8:1

Last edited by DazeMS; 04-12-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

... herp derpy derp derp.. no ****. did I say it did? and you will have still fallen short of a stock gsr comp.. effectively making this ordeal worthless.
The way you worded your statement sounded as if you were saying by installing the longer rods you would be increasing your displacement.

Also GSR rods and a LS crank has been tried. With oem pistons they protrude above the deck of the block and would hit the head. You would need pistons with a lower compression height to use the longer rods.

GSR longblock and LS rods/crank=10:1=same as GSR
Old 04-13-2013, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cruizinmax
The way you worded your statement sounded as if you were saying by installing the longer rods you would be increasing your displacement.

Also GSR rods and a LS crank has been tried. With oem pistons they protrude above the deck of the block and would hit the head. You would need pistons with a lower compression height to use the longer rods.

GSR longblock and LS rods/crank=10:1=same as GSR
Gsr usdm is 10.0:1 jdm is 10.6:1

Last edited by DazeMS; 04-15-2013 at 05:47 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have pics on my profile on the same build. I used type r pistons and blocked off oil squirters, even bending out the way my crank on the counter weights still hit. Been running for 3 months and love the gains I got.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Eg.ls.turbo
I have pics on my profile on the same build. I used type r pistons and blocked off oil squirters, even bending out the way my crank on the counter weights still hit. Been running for 3 months and love the gains I got.
Nice... that is a setup I would like to see dyno tuned.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep I will post up pics whenever I get it dyno.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Gsr usdm is 10.0:1 jdm is 10.6:1
If you used jdm gsr pistons, ls crank/rods you would have 10.8:1...Just drop it, you're not making any sense.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was referring to stock comp ratios. I already mentioned it would RAISE comp with those pistons. herp derp. Doesnt matter anyway, wiseco makes a -2.40 dome piston that would make the comp on a 81.50 bore 9.91:1 which is close to usdm. And its an off the shelf forged piston. to make it stock comp on 81.5mm bore, you need a custom pr4 piston at -1.90 dome to be 10.0:1. throing in a stock ls crank rod and piston setup will not yeild stock gsr comp. as it would be 9.6:1 on an 81mm bore or 9.7:1 on an 81.5mm bore.

EDIT.. what would be cool is if, you could get a 137.5mm rod to throw in with stock pr4 pistons as that would take your comp to 10.1:1, but no one will make those unless you sell or buy 40sets lol.. just cheaper getting a custom pr4 piston set at -1.90
Old 04-15-2013, 09:02 AM

I was referring to stock comp ratios. I already mentioned it would RAISE comp with those pistons. herp derp. Doesnt matter anyway, wiseco makes a -2.40 dome piston that would make the comp on a 81.50 bore 9.91:1 which is close to usdm. And its an off the shelf forged piston. to make it stock comp on 81.5mm bore, you need a custom pr4 piston at -1.90 dome to be 10.0:1. throing in a stock ls crank rod and piston setup will not yeild stock gsr comp. as it would be 9.6:1 on an 81mm bore or 9.7:1 on an 81.5mm bore.
Well, if the goal is to get stock compression, I see why you're going through all this work, but most of us that have performed this particular modification in the GS-R block (by removing the oil squirters) have the desire to raise the static compression as they are usually using an aftermarket rod/piston. Not keep it to stock. I'm currently at 12.3:1, and with the fuel used on 93 octane have had no issues for several years.

I am curious... "herp,derp?" What does that specifically mean?
Old 04-15-2013, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, if the goal is to get stock compression, I see why you're going through all this work, but most of us that have performed this particular modification in the GS-R block (by removing the oil squirters) have the desire to raise the static compression as they are usually using an aftermarket rod/piston. Not keep it to stock. I'm currently at 12.3:1, and with the fuel used on 93 octane have had no issues for several years.

I believe it is a slang term that is more then likely in the same catagory as "duh", or "ORLY".. I have alot of friends on FB who use "derp" as a term sometimes, and i normally see it used when something is obviously, obvious.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by DDTECH
I believe it is a slang term that is more then likely in the same catagory as "duh", or "ORLY".. I have alot of friends on FB who use "derp" as a term sometimes, and i normally see it used when something is obviously, obvious.
This means I'm getting old. Even THAT **** doesn't make sense, and I interpret a long of slang. . That's that FaceSpace and MyBook kinda talk I don't get into.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

This means I'm getting old. Even THAT **** doesn't make sense, and I interpret a long of slang.
Me and you both. If someone was to say "herp, derp" in a face to face conversation, it would take all I had to not laugh in their face.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AllMtrRex
Me and you both. If someone was to say "herp, derp" in a face to face conversation, it would take all I had to not laugh in their face.
I personally, would have to hold myself back from punching them lol.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DDTECH
I personally, would have to hold myself back from punching them lol.
X2
Old 04-15-2013, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

HERP phuckin DERP... I will be more then happy to say it to your faces.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was using herp derp for "duh".. "no way man(sarcastically)" "no ****".. I have a setup that I am looking at doing. Sorry it does not agree with what YOU may want for a NA setup. I was just trying to find a happy medium that didnt require custom one offs and after talking with several manufactures, parts for the options I am after , quite literally are just " sitting on the shelves" , including a custom LS 95mm crank and rod setup for like 1200$ which will clear the oil squirts..While , I do not want a 95mm crank , they do have new standard ones sitting around. I refuse to use junk yard parts in my area for these kinds of things, so thats what I was getting at..
Old 04-16-2013, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just finished putting my bottom end together, just waiting on a new oil pump and PasswordJDM oil pan baffle to come in to finish the motor. Its an ls crank with ls Eagle Rods and Wiseco pistons.

Quick Reply: LS crank and rods in a GSR Block? Is it possible?