Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

LS crank and rods in a GSR Block? Is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LS crank and rods in a GSR Block? Is it possible?

Exactly what is needed to perform this job? Must you maching the LS rods or pistons to make them fit in a GSR Block. Also what gains can you expect by doing this? I search but wasn't able to find the exact benefits of doing this. I just read that the LS has a better stroke, but not really sure what that means?
Old 12-14-2006, 05:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: LS crank and rods in a GSR Block? (all-mtr-teg)

No, It works. You just need to plug up the oil squirters.. There are kits out there for that, golden eagle makes one.

All B series pistons (except B20), have same size pistons.

Benefit = LS Rod/Stroke ratio (89mm) = More Torque
Old 12-14-2006, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well all u really doin is make a Gsr a LS..that all............its pointless might aswell buy a LS block and use that cuz gettin a gsr and puttin everything ls is kinda stupid...cuz ur not gainin nothin but the torque of a ls...
Old 12-14-2006, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: LS crank and rods in a GSR Block? (15sec)

Ahh, more torque equals more power.

Power = TorqueXOmega
Old 12-14-2006, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 15sec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well all u really doin is make a Gsr a LS..that all............its pointless might aswell buy a LS block and use that cuz gettin a gsr and puttin everything ls is kinda stupid...cuz ur not gainin nothin but the torque of a ls...</TD></TR></TABLE>

So more torque is bad? why is that? Is it because you won't be able to rev as high as you could with a gsr crank? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm actually trying to learn the benefits of performing the mod.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:52 PM
Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by all-mtr-teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So more torque is bad? why is that? Is it because you won't be able to rev as high as you could with a gsr crank? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm actually trying to learn the benefits of performing the mod.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Okay. Check it out. Torque is GOOD. The GSR block and the LS block are both similar, with one major difference. The GSR block has oil galleys for oil squirters. LS blocks don't have these oil squirters under the cylinders, because oil sprays out of the LS rods. Also, the GSR block is already setup for the VTEC head.

As far as revving, if you balance an LS bottom end, and use ARP rod bolts.. you can rev it as high as you can rev a GSR bottom IMO, especially since you will have a girdle.

Modified by LSVTEC 91 Civic at 1:58 AM 12/15/2006
Old 12-14-2006, 07:10 PM
cute little bastard

I think you're better off selling the GSR shortblock for like 500 and buying an LS block for 150 lol
Old 12-14-2006, 07:37 PM
been there done that

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 15sec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well all u really doin is make a Gsr a LS..that all............its pointless might aswell buy a LS block and use that cuz gettin a gsr and puttin everything ls is kinda stupid...cuz ur not gainin nothin but the torque of a ls...</TD></TR></TABLE>

you get the extra torque and broader powerband of an ls but retain the stronger and better block of the gsr. how is this stupid?

actually, this is the second stupid post i've seen you make.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS crank and rods in a GSR Block? (doood)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think you're better off selling the GSR shortblock for like 500 and buying an LS block for 150 lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

I concur
Old 12-14-2006, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by doood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you get the extra torque and broader powerband of an ls but retain the stronger and better block of the gsr. how is this stupid?

actually, this is the second stupid post i've seen you make. </TD></TR></TABLE>

First off if u knew anything about a ****** motor....gsr blocks and ls blocks are damn near identical only difference is 89mm stroke and a 87mm stroke aswell the oil squirters....

So wtf is the since of takin a ls crank and ls rods and puttin them in a gsr which u would have 2 remove the oil squirters in order 2 make the lsrods and crank werk...

u might aswell sell the damn gsr and buy a Ls becuz its the identical same **** as takin the ls parts in using them in a gsr..its going 2 be a damn LS *******.,.........extra torque and a broader powerband u sound like a retard
Old 12-14-2006, 08:51 PM
Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 15sec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First off if u knew anything about a ****** motor....gsr blocks and ls blocks are damn near identical only difference is 89mm stroke and a 87mm stroke aswell the oil squirters....

So wtf is the since of takin a ls crank and ls rods and puttin them in a gsr which u would have 2 remove the oil squirters in order 2 make the lsrods and crank werk...

u might aswell sell the damn gsr and buy a Ls becuz its the identical same **** as takin the ls parts in using them in a gsr..its going 2 be a damn LS *******.,.........extra torque and a broader powerband u sound like a retard</TD></TR></TABLE>

Get the **** out.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:58 PM

Default Re: LS crank and rods in a GSR Block? (LSVTEC 91 Civic)

i'm in the process of doing this right now, its a good idea if you already have the engine torn apart.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:15 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 15sec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

First off if u knew anything about a ****** motor....gsr blocks and ls blocks are damn near identical only difference is 89mm stroke and a 87mm stroke aswell the oil squirters....

u might aswell sell the damn gsr and buy a Ls becuz its the identical same **** as takin the ls parts in using them in a gsr..its going 2 be a damn LS *******.,.........extra torque and a broader powerband u sound like a retard</TD></TR></TABLE>

forget about the block girdle buddy? you keep preaching about how the block is identical when in reality the only thing identical is the fact that it has the same bore.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:29 PM
been there done that

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 15sec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First off if u knew anything about a ****** motor....gsr blocks and ls blocks are damn near identical only difference is 89mm stroke and a 87mm stroke aswell the oil squirters....

go compare a b18b and b18c block side by side. then come back here and kiss my ***.

remove the squirters? i think not. they simply have to be bent to clear. and if you use forged internals, they are no longer needed. take them out and plug the holes. but you already knew that.

and you're advocating selling a gsr block and go with a weaker ls block? you're a smart one aint ya?

Modified by doood at 6:57 AM 12/15/2006
Old 12-14-2006, 10:44 PM

the block is also set up for a vtec head.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:57 PM
been there done that

Default Re: LS crank and rods in a GSR Block? (SOHC_me)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_me &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the block is also set up for a vtec head.</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly. no running external oil lines. no plugging oil holes.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LSVTEC 91 Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No, It works. You just need to plug up the oil squirters.. There are kits out there for that, golden eagle makes one.

All B series pistons (except B20), have same size pistons.

Benefit = LS Rod/Stroke ratio (89mm) = More Torque</TD></TR></TABLE>

Listen to this guy....hes right on the money.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is a GSR block with an LS crank and rods:

The oil squirters are plugged on this block. Disregard comments disparaging your idea-uninformed opinions abound on H-T.

Modified by b19coupe at 1:01 PM 12/15/2006
Old 12-15-2006, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

exactly, makes more sense to me, plus you don't have to relocate the dowel pins in the head and wat not
Old 12-15-2006, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS crank and rods in a GSR Block? (twotonecivic)

Im really going to take advice on H-T from some one who's screen name is 15sec (E.T. possibly?) and spells like a two year old
Old 12-15-2006, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can you tell me where to get the G.E. kit? I tried camp1320 and inline four but couldn't find it. Thanks
Old 12-15-2006, 09:09 AM
been there done that

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by all-mtr-teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can you tell me where to get the G.E. kit? I tried camp1320 and inline four but couldn't find it. Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

for plugging the oil squirters? i think you have to contact them directly as i havent seen it anywhere either.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You do have to contact them directly. There's a thread on them in the archive with pictures and everything.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My drag engine seems to like 9,800 with a ls crank with 500 runs this year and still ticking and it has a very useable power band. I can't stand people that say you can't rev a ls stroke. obviously those people don't know what the f*ck they are doing. Typical HT mis-conception. If you don't want to use the stock rods you could get any aftermarket rod without the oil holes in the rods and have the crank weights machined like .075 and balanced and leave the squirters in its a much better way to do things.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS crank and rods in a GSR Block? (bearsEK)

This is the build I'm doing. I'm using a 84.5mm GSR block, ls crank, eagle rods. I'm planning on plugging up the oil squirters. I noticed that the Eagle rods do not have the oil holes like the stock ls rods. Would this be a problem?

Quick Reply: LS crank and rods in a GSR Block? Is it possible?