Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

LS block, GSR crank & rods, ITR pistons, PR3 head....reliability questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 06:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS block, GSR crank & rods, ITR pistons, PR3 head....reliability questions

im getting ready to start on my block build, like i mentioned, LS block, GSR crank & rods, JDM ITR pistons, and PR3 head (already have these parts, dont want to use LS crank & rods)... I know the block would be stronger if it had a block girdle and windage setup, but is it absolutely necessary?

If i used type r oil pump and ARP rod bolts can this block survive 9,000 rpm? my head consists of skunk2 valve springs & retainers, zex 57200 cams, ITR intake manifold, 64mm throttle body, currently mated to stock b16a3 block, but im looking for more displacement & compression to run with my cams hence the 1.8L build up.

I know this is similar to a budget LSVTEC build up, and many have said that ARP rod bolts and VTEC oil pump would make it last, but i'd like to know the differences in reliability when factoring in the slightly better R/S ratio of the GSR rotating assembly, plus the better design (lighter weight? made for high revs)

any thoughts?
Old 08-20-2005, 07:17 AM

Block girdle isn't necessary but would give the block more strength yes. The block should survive 9k revs providing you don't do it it all day everday. I would try headstuds instead of bolts though. Headstuds are better cause the hold the block/head in compression whereas bolts are in tension.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:31 AM

i guess what im trying to ask is if the GSR rotating assembly in an LS block will be any more reliable than LS crank & rods in an LS block without a main girdle.

so i've got:
LS block
GSR crank & rods
JDM ITR pistons
VTEC oil pump
ARP GSR rod bolts
ARP head studs
OEM gaskets & bearings

= should stand up to 9,000 rpm occasionally?

would the main girdle and windage setup dramatically increase the life of the engine and decrese likelyhood of spun bearings?
Old 11-02-2005, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (91civicDXdude)

dang, i'd like to know this as well.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS block, GSR crank & rods, ITR pistons, PR3 head....reliability questions (91civicDXdude)

using the block girdle is very nessecary...expecially if you want your motor to survive those 9k rpms...it also holds the block together better than the ls main caps...gl on your build
Old 11-03-2005, 12:11 AM

Default Re: LS block, GSR crank & rods, ITR pistons, PR3 head....reliability questions (hawjboi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hawjboi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">using the block girdle is very nessecary...expecially if you want your motor to survive those 9k rpms...it also holds the block together better than the ls main caps...gl on your build</TD></TR></TABLE>

ever seen evidence of this?
with blocks w/out a girdle??
i haven't.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:50 AM

Default Re: LS block, GSR crank & rods, ITR pistons, PR3 head....reliability questions (91civicDXdude)

Don't waste your time with the GSR crank, rods and pistons. It's been proven time and time again that a stock ls crank and stock ls rods with new rod bolts are the best way to go. If your trying to build a gsr don't half *** it, go buy a GSR shortblock. If your going to use the LS block don't hurt yourself by de-stroking it with GSR crank and rods. If your worried about reliablity... nothing beats an factory built motor.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:46 AM
I NIKES

You don't have to run a girdle,but to be safe i would say get one.the one i got is from azracing and was only like 160.00shipped.better safe than sorry you know.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS block, GSR crank & rods, ITR pistons, PR3 head....reliability questions (EVOL)

what i was just trying to say was that it would be a lot safer to run the girdle as well...yeah there are some blocks that dont need it and have had great outcomes...but the matter of the fact is that i'd personally run one just for reliability issues...
Old 11-03-2005, 07:24 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't do a gsr crank. Why from 1834cc down to 1797cc, it doesn't make sense. There are no strength factors between the 2 cranks.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:09 PM
UnlimitedHonda5

Default Re: (Deetz)

block griddle isant necassary......... its like everyones saying ''hey everyone with a griddle take it out and throw it away'' to most of you people griddle's are never necassary and honda was wrong for even using them from the begining. god i hate the griddle arguements
Old 11-04-2005, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (UnlimitedHonda5)

B16's rev allday long,no block griddle...
Old 11-04-2005, 03:40 PM

Default Re: (SwappedTURBOegg)

yeah b16's rev all day cause of the rod to stroke ratio, they have oil squirters, a ls block has a 1.54 r/s and no squirters so thier you answer, and fyi gsr have a 1.59 r/s ratio oil suirters and a block guirdle, and a oil cooler honda did that for a reason don't yeah think?