Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Lilvader's GSR parts upgrade discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lilvader's GSR parts upgrade discussion thread

First off, I don't care for the search button. I used it and it doesn't completely fulfill my needs.

I'm new to the honda game, I've done loads of research and I know the direction I want to put my car in.

I purchased a bit of a unicorn. A 94 integra gsr completely head to toe bare bone stock, 71k original miles and 1 owner lady owned. Car is mint and I don't want to ruin this car, I want to do a nice build and keep it reliable and cheap, yes those are the 2 i'm picking, It doesn't need to be extremely fast, It's more of a cruiser/dd and I'll only really beat on it whenever I wanna race someone or just have fun.

So far I've ordered Megan 4-1 headers, I need to pick up a high flow catalytic convertor with a 2.5 inch inlet and outlet to fit my 2.5 inch outlet on my headers and 2.5 inch inlet on my megan racing drift spec exhaust. If anyone could give me recommendations on a good high flow cat that would be greatly appreciated.

So i'm staying all motor I won't be going turbo for a few years a lot of money to save up and yes im a kid. Im not a kid with a wet dream with no job, I make money and I'm looking to build something nice and take my time and not be a typical ******* teenager, I want to have a nice respectful car. It took me a few years to save up for this car in the first place. anyways back to the topic.

So I have a obd1, when I need to tune it only a chip would be necessary correct?

Also, I have a general idea of what I'm going to do, but If i'm missing out anything pretty important just give me some pointers or if I'm adding something unecessary just let me know.

So I'm thinking of purchasing first a cold air intake, 70mm throttle body, skunk 2 intake manifold. Then I'm going to do a walbro 190lph fuel pump and 440 injectors. I'm pretty sure I dont need to upgrade the fuel rail. Then after that I was going to go with a tune. Then after that I would do a aluminum radiator with slim fans then a stage 3/4 competition clutch (I know im daily driving it and I dont mind a stiff clutch I can for sure handle it).

After that in the near future I was thinking of doing headwork after that. and that will be it for then. Anything else I would need to or want to upgrade let me know! thanks for your responses, constructive criticism is appreciated.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts
Default re: Lilvader's GSR parts upgrade discussion thread

Megan parts are low quality and don't make significant HP gains. A big T/B will be a waste of money at the power levels that your combination will attain... including the other mods you intend to do. A GSR with I/H/E will not over power the stock injectors, so my suggestion would be to save the $$$ on a set of injectors and the throttle body and invest in a Hondata s300 for a QUALITY tune. Be careful with the cold air intake... there will be little gain over a quality top mount (short ram) intake and the risk of engine failure by sucking in water is a real world danger.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay thanks for the good info, The significant power should be coming from headwork like cams? I know i'm not going to make a lot of power but I'm just aiming for a good setup and when I go turbo most of the parts needed are covered. Whats wrong with megan, I have there headers and I got a refund for my megan racing drift spec because its on backorder. there headers are nice seem good quality to me and ive only heard good about them, can you elaborate a bit? common problems they have?. Any other catback exhausts you'd recommend besides skunk 2 (too loud)? whats the difference between a s300 or chipping my obd1?
Old 09-03-2017, 07:13 PM
No Jodas

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Google searching will lead you to several threads about how to make power with your GSR motor.

Even this old article from Super Street Magazine would be worthwhile reading.

Project 200-WHP Integra - Tech Review - Turbo Magazine

Jumping to the point, making all motor power with your stock long block will require a good header with a 2.5" collector, a less-restrictive exhaust, a test pipe, swapping your intake manifold for an ITR style one (IAB delete), 68mm (ITR sized) throttle body, aftermarket or OEM ITR cams, and tuning with Hondata. This will yield somewhere around 200WHP.

There is a very big difference between Hondata's S300 unit and a standard "chipped OBD1 ecu". Please read more into all of these items and search on here and Google. It will be worth your time to invest in research as it will save you plenty of money and headaches in the future. The B-Series motor is not a new piece of technology and almost everything you'd want to try on it has already been done and documented somewhere.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ShinsenTuner
Google searching will lead you to several threads about how to make power with your GSR motor.

Even this old article from Super Street Magazine would be worthwhile reading.

Project 200-WHP Integra - Tech Review - Turbo Magazine

Jumping to the point, making all motor power with your stock long block will require a good header with a 2.5" collector, a less-restrictive exhaust, a test pipe, swapping your intake manifold for an ITR style one (IAB delete), 68mm (ITR sized) throttle body, aftermarket or OEM ITR cams, and tuning with Hondata. This will yield somewhere around 200WHP.

There is a very big difference between Hondata's S300 unit and a standard "chipped OBD1 ecu". Please read more into all of these items and search on here and Google. It will be worth your time to invest in research as it will save you plenty of money and headaches in the future. The B-Series motor is not a new piece of technology and almost everything you'd want to try on it has already been done and documented somewhere.
Thanks for all the good info! very appreciated