Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

JDM H23a Vtec /USDM F20b cams

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon7 JDM H23a Vtec /USDM F20b cams

Whats up HT? Working on my H2B del Sol build, and came across a good deal on a set of cams from a 92 USDM manual prelude with an F20B. The motor going into the sol is an JDM 01 H23A Vtec blue top stamped PDE HF-1. Wondering if its worth the time and effort to put these cams into the H23?? Going to be a mild all motor build (Ported stock intake, 70mm tb, KS balance shaft delete, HiEnd Tri Y, 3'' catless exhaust, rc 440 injectors, tuned on s300 mated to a b16 tranny) I know the valve reliefs are shallow on the H23's piston, but cant find a clear cut answer if the F20b cams would be a worthwhile upgrade from the stock h23 ones. Just dont wanna miss out on a good deal.. Any input is appreciated Thanks!!
Old 03-12-2018, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts
Default Re: JDM H23a Vtec /USDM F20b cams

Aren't they essentially the same camshafts ???
Old 03-13-2018, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

If the F20B long block is from an automatic, the cams will not be of any help. However, I believe the manual F20B cams are the same as H22A type S. You could Mic these and compare to online Type S findings. Also, if the F20B in the prelude is still using the stock TB, the following would determine if the long block is from an automatic:
The F20B automatic TB was smaller than the manual version. I want to say the manual TB is 62mm. Futhermore, the auto throttle rotor should have a place for a kickdown cable for the auto trans.

If you determine you have the manual F20B, that's for sure an upgrade. The cams will work fine with H23 blue top pistons.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by AllMtrRex
If the F20B long block is from an automatic, the cams will not be of any help. However, I believe the manual F20B cams are the same as H22A type S. You could Mic these and compare to online Type S findings. Also, if the F20B in the prelude is still using the stock TB, the following would determine if the long block is from an automatic:
The F20B automatic TB was smaller than the manual version. I want to say the manual TB is 62mm. Futhermore, the auto throttle rotor should have a place for a kickdown cable for the auto trans.

If you determine you have the manual F20B, that's for sure an upgrade. The cams will work fine with H23 blue top pistons.
If what you say is true about the manual cams, the OP would need to also use the valve springs and retainers from a Type S engine. This would also suggest that the F20B manual springs and retainers would be the same as those found in a H22 Type S...
Old 03-14-2018, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

90% of the F20Bs that get sent to USA are Automatics. So watch out. As stated TB larger on the Manuals and Have Type S/EuroR Cams and Valve Springs. All Retainers are same on the H/F20Bs. You can also Mic/Measure the Vtec Lobe of the camshaft to tell if Manual. Now if you have a F20B Auto and H23Vtec Blue Top which only comes Auto. They share the same Intake and Exhaust Camshaft Part #s.

Last edited by ESP.net; 03-14-2018 at 11:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 03-14-2018, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AllMtrRex

That's the answer I was looking for! 100% positive it's a 5spd as the motor is still in the car and has a gearshift. I had seen it earlier cuz I robbed the upper half of the intake mani off it being it has the obd1 style 2 wire iacv I need. I will be port matching the h23 throttle body to it for now. As for valvetrain, I will probly go aftermarket. Any suggestions? Was thinking along the lines of Crower or Skunk 2... And cam gears I could use the F20B ones correct? Thanks to all for your input!