Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Are the Skunk2 Pro3 Camshafts too large for a relatively stock LS/VTEC Build?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are the Skunk2 Pro3 Camshafts too large for a relatively stock LS/VTEC Build?

I was given a great deal on some Pro 3's that i didnt want to pass up for my build. My question is will they be too much for it? Does anybody have these cams in their lsvtec? And how will daily driveability be? Im just looking for someone that has experience with these cams and could give me some good advice. Thank you.

My build:
82x89 b18a1
Pro 3 cams
GSC springs and retainers
stock valves
Street port and polish from a local shop
P30's on stock rods with ARP studs
oem headgasket
Old 02-01-2018, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts
Default re: Are the Skunk2 Pro3 Camshafts too large for a relatively stock LS/VTEC Build?

Of course they are too big. Just because something is a good deal doesn't mean it is right for your build. Sell them and get the cams that you need.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are the Skunk2 Pro3 Camshafts too large for a relatively stock LS/VTEC Build?

Aha thanks for changing the title Really helps! Maybe I'll get more answers ahahah
Old 02-02-2018, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts
Default Re: Are the Skunk2 Pro3 Camshafts too large for a relatively stock LS/VTEC Build?

Originally Posted by MikeD21
Maybe I'll get more answers ahahah
All answers will be that the Pro3 are far too large for your build.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Too big of a camshaft.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there a better cam anyone would recommend? Maybe pro 1 or pro 2? I've read some other setups and see people using the pro 2 on their lsvtec build and have good results with them. Or would the Pro 1 be a better choice for more usable power?
Old 02-03-2018, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

tuner2 will work well... What do you plan on revving the car to with the stock rods? what intake manifold/header/exhaust will you be running?
Old 02-06-2018, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

pro 1 or tuner 2. anything bigger will struggle to make usable power with your compression ratio and displacement. pro 2s might make a bit more peak power but will give up some midrange and low end.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a guy that is local to me that is willing to trade me his Pro 1's for my Pro 3's. I also got in touch with Delta cams and they said that they have the Pro 2 profile and are able to regrind the 3's to the 2's specs.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:39 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeD21
I have a guy that is local to me that is willing to trade me his Pro 1's for my Pro 3's. I also got in touch with Delta cams and they said that they have the Pro 2 profile and are able to regrind the 3's to the 2's specs.
Don't get a regrind, just trade.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your build does not have enough compression to use anything above a pro1 cam... sk2 pro2 require at least 12:1 to make them worth anything using.. also have to rev to least 9500 to see benefits of the pro2... never regrind a cam.. especially a good cam...
you best be with your build is get some ctr or type-r cams for daily use and have a great power band for your setup..
Old 02-06-2018, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I replied to your PM. Are you using a B16 or GSR head. That will make a difference. Pro 2's are on the "bigger side", but with the right header (I like the toda rep on 1.8's) and intake (S2 ultra or edelbrock performer ) you can make great usable power. Never been a fan of pro 1's personally. Tuner 2's will make power, but will lack torque until vtec takes over. I haven't seen a set of P2 cams not perform in a healthy LSV or B20V with the right parts.

EDIT: just to clarify, this motor should be in the 12.5:1 area with a B16 head which is plenty for the Pro 2's. He will actually benefit from a little compression bleed off if he plans on running pump gas. Keeping air velocity up will be key. Smaller intake and smaller TB will go a long ways.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey egsleeper he is using a stock crank... for that ls-v he needs to get crank work done so it would be worth reving those aftermarket cams.. b18 crank can' spin that fast.. not where the cams need to be.. also I would get a b18c crank gurdle/ main for extra rev support and saftey...
Old 02-07-2018, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jaycorolla
Hey egsleeper he is using a stock crank... for that ls-v he needs to get crank work done so it would be worth reving those aftermarket cams.. b18 crank can' spin that fast.. not where the cams need to be.. also I would get a b18c crank gurdle/ main for extra rev support and saftey...
LOL what? Most lsvtec and b20vtec builds use a stock crank and rev just fine? Also theres no need for a crank girdle, again im not worried about being able to rev it, itll be fine.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

yeeeaaaa theres guys making north of 1000 whp spinning past 10,500 rpm with stock cranks, so ima have to disagree there.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Stock crank is quality forged steel. Absolutely no reason to switch it out, even full spec drag cars often still use stock cranks...

Other safety measures for high RPM can be debated depending on other aspects of the build, and the actual peak RPM or purpose for the build.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jaycorolla
LOL. This site still cracks me up.

Stock B20 crank and rods w/ ARP bolts to 9500 for a year, zero issues. Clearances, balancing and assembly details are key. This isn't rocket science.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
smaller TB will go a long ways.
How?
Old 02-28-2018, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Speeds up air flow, which drops pressure at the same time. The greater the pressure drop, the easier it is for atmospheric pressure to push air into the cylinders.

That's just an educated guess though.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdblock
Speeds up air flow, which drops pressure at the same time. The greater the pressure drop, the easier it is for atmospheric pressure to push air into the cylinders.

That's just an educated guess though.
It doesn’t work that way
Old 03-13-2018, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v

How?
You have to think in terms of efficiency. Even going back to motors with carbs (or ITB's apply) in some cases bigger isn't better. You only need as much air as the motor can pull and apply the fuel for. Whats the point in cramming 74mm worth of air into a motor that can only use 70mm of it? It's a very elementary way to draw it but you are effectively "over feeding" the motor. Engine speed, compression, displacement all going into an equation for what is "optimal", but we arent F1 engine designers so we have to keep it in perspective. Another thing to remember is the throttle response can be damaged by going too large as well. It's like a big gulp of water when a small sip is needed. Trying to keep it simple but that is the basic concept. I'm not an engineer, just been around motors long enough "bigger isn't better" unless were talking turbos and cubic inches

And to be fair, my B20V made 253whp on a 70MM tb. Lost peak power on a 66. Did nothing with a 72. Take it for what its worth...my 250hp used the 70 how it was needed.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
You have to think in terms of efficiency. Even going back to motors with carbs (or ITB's apply) in some cases bigger isn't better. You only need as much air as the motor can pull and apply the fuel for. Whats the point in cramming 74mm worth of air into a motor that can only use 70mm of it? It's a very elementary way to draw it but you are effectively "over feeding" the motor. Engine speed, compression, displacement all going into an equation for what is "optimal", but we arent F1 engine designers so we have to keep it in perspective. Another thing to remember is the throttle response can be damaged by going too large as well. It's like a big gulp of water when a small sip is needed. Trying to keep it simple but that is the basic concept. I'm not an engineer, just been around motors long enough "bigger isn't better" unless were talking turbos and cubic inches

And to be fair, my B20V made 253whp on a 70MM tb. Lost peak power on a 66. Did nothing with a 72. Take it for what its worth...my 250hp used the 70 how it was needed.
You have it half right. Simply put the throttle body is nothing more than a valve that lets air into the motor. When you add positive pressure things change a bit but when not (N/A) bigger is always better. You WILL get to a point to where bigger adds no more power but bigger will never change the powerband or make less power.

When you can really see this example is in a positive displacement blower setup.

The ONLY negative to a oversized throttle body is a more touchy throttle. Oh and the air intake is the same exact concept.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

You have it half right. Simply put the throttle body is nothing more than a valve that lets air into the motor. When you add positive pressure things change a bit but when not (N/A) bigger is always better. You WILL get to a point to where bigger adds no more power but bigger will never change the powerband or make less power.

When you can really see this example is in a positive displacement blower setup.

The ONLY negative to a oversized throttle body is a more touchy throttle. Oh and the air intake is the same exact concept.
With boost, you are correct. However, in a naturally aspirated application... you are absolutely wrong. N/A engines find their efficiency from air velocity. When you use a throttle body that is too large for the application, you will not make any more peak HP, but air velocity will be slowed at low to mid range RPM in the power band, and thus, power will be reduced.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
With boost, you are correct. However, in a naturally aspirated application... you are absolutely wrong. N/A engines find their efficiency from air velocity. When you use a throttle body that is too large for the application, you will not make any more peak HP, but air velocity will be slowed at low to mid range RPM in the power band, and thus, power will be reduced.

Very much so incorrect! Velocity cannot be created by a valve in a negative pressure situation. That is equivalent of taking a large straw in your mouth, sucking in air and then taking a coffee stirring straw and all of the sudden have air blasted into your mouth due to the size of it. Further more, do you assume if you use a 10mm throttle body, you can actually create positive pressure due to the size? Come on man... Use your brain here.

I will repeat this again, in a EFI setup the throttle body acts as nothing except a valve to let air in. Your comment of comparing a throttle body to a carburetor alone speaks volumes on your grasp on how motors work. (no offense, just obvious observation)
Old 03-15-2018, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Very much so incorrect! Velocity cannot be created by a valve in a negative pressure situation. That is equivalent of taking a large straw in your mouth, sucking in air and then taking a coffee stirring straw and all of the sudden have air blasted into your mouth due to the size of it. Further more, do you assume if you use a 10mm throttle body, you can actually create positive pressure due to the size? Come on man... Use your brain here.

I will repeat this again, in a EFI setup the throttle body acts as nothing except a valve to let air in. Your comment of comparing a throttle body to a carburetor alone speaks volumes on your grasp on how motors work. (no offense, just obvious observation)
And you show you have little knowledge about fluid dynamics. You know they teach this stuff in schools? Its actually pretty basic stuff.

No, a valve cannot create velocity, ever. Moving fluid has a velocity.

Negative pressure? That is not a thing, even in outer space.

Quick Reply: Are the Skunk2 Pro3 Camshafts too large for a relatively stock LS/VTEC Build?