Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

I need Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need Help!!!

I drive a 99 civic ex, with a stock d16y8. I am currently in the process of building an ls/vtec motor, but my engine builder said i should get a beater to get me to and from. my engine now has a funny sound, sounds about the same as a screwdriver tapping metal. I have changed the oil numerous of times. i changed the oil yesterday and put a quart of MARVEL MYSTERY OIL. This helped out the knocking a little, I think it is a valve sticking, but people say it is a different problem. I was wondering if anyone could help me out and sii how I could fix this problem. I really dont want to spend money on a beater, because I am close to having my ls/vtec finished. Today is the first time I drove it to work in 1 year. The knocking stopped that much off the marvel mystery oil.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have not driven this car in 1 year because of this problem. I need to get this problem fixed, someone pls respond with your thoughts. thanks
Old 03-22-2004, 10:31 AM
FSAE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (BigBodySmith)

My only thoughts were you had a bad rod bearing and now you have rod knock. Did your builder use new bearings? And if he did, did he measuer the tolerances correclty?
Old 03-22-2004, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no, this is on my stock d16y8, my ls vtec is being built now, and yes, being built by lht perfomance in st. pete, fl. i am talking about my stock sohc that is making the noise. i am trying to fix that motor, so i do not have to buy a beater while my new motor is being built.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:08 PM
FSAE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, didnt understand the first post.

Well does it sound like rod knock? Put a breaker bar on the block and put your ear on the other side of the bar...if it becomes very audable then you may have a bad rod bearing.

Otherwise it could just be in need of a valve adjustment.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

right i put the breaker bar to the top of each cylinder to see which cylinder it was coming from, did not sound like a rod problem, also i was driving the car last night around 8 pm going about 50 mph in 5th gear, the knocking sound stopped like there was nothing wrong with the car. then i came to a light, no knocking still. i drove for about 5 miles to a friends house all happy, then about 2 hours later i started it and the damn thing starts to knock again. I think it is a valve sticking, again the knock did not sound as loud when i put this marvel oil into the car. I mean if the knocking stopped, i dont think it would be a rod. but please your input is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone else???
Old 03-23-2004, 10:04 AM
Old Schooler

when your car is running and it is making the sound you hear take each plug wire off one at a time and see if the sound goes away. This will tell you if it is a rod bearing. Once you take away the spark you should hear no noise.

Along time ago I had a bent rocker shaft and it would make sounds like what you are talking about. I changed the shaft and the sound went away. It took me weeks to find the problem.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for your response, i will try that.