Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

HYTECH SIDE EXIT DRAG HEADER OR SIMILAR, WHO"S RUNNING ONE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HYTECH SIDE EXIT DRAG HEADER OR SIMILAR, WHO"S RUNNING ONE?

Just wanted to know how those who are using Hytech side exit drag header or similar type run wide band o2 on it? Plan to use to monitor a/f readings during runs at the track for tuning.

Besides when on a dyno, is it:

A) Mounted on the header by using a o2 bung?

B) Mounted on the header using exhaust clamp like the one from Innovate?

C) Any other ways?

Just ordered the header from hytech and wanted to know how you guys usually mount the wide band on the side exit header. Currently I have mine on my staright pipe cat replacement and wanted to know how best to install when I receive the hytech header.

Old 06-26-2005, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HYTECH SIDE EXIT DRAG HEADER OR SIMILAR, WHO"S RUNNING ONE? (DEMNTD1)

There's a guy on here that has hytech header but, not sure if they're side exit his name is all_motor_teg. just read about him having problems with check engine light not sure if that's the problem, he just has hytech header in his list of mods here is the thread https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1290560
Old 06-26-2005, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HYTECH SIDE EXIT DRAG HEADER OR SIMILAR, WHO"S RUNNING ONE? (extra cam needed)

Wasn't talking about the stock o2 or any CEL lights.

I want to know how does people who are specifically using Side Exit Drag Headers like the HyTech below:

Mount their wide band o2 on it.

Besides the original bung that is initially mounted and may be used for the factory o2, do people weld another bung for the wide band o2 or use an exhaust clamp.

Old 06-26-2005, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HYTECH SIDE EXIT DRAG HEADER OR SIMILAR, WHO"S RUNNING ONE? (DEMNTD1)

Here is a pic of my side exit when i bought it it allready had two bungs in it.

Old 06-26-2005, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HYTECH SIDE EXIT DRAG HEADER OR SIMILAR, WHO"S RUNNING ONE? (Trooper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Trooper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here is a pic of my side exit when i bought it it allready had two bungs in it.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is the second bung located right behind the bung that is visible. I could see something like a bung protruding out right behind it?

Thanks for the photo. Is that for a 1.8L or 2.0L? How did you like the results from HyTech?
Old 06-26-2005, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yep the bung is right be hind the one you see, this thing makes AWSOME power its on a 2.0 14-1 LS VTEC it made 256 to the wheels with this header. From 8600-9300 the HP line on the Dyno sheet is FLAT this header is bitchen!!
Old 06-26-2005, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just call up John and tell him to add a second bung for a wideband to the header, it's as simple as that.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:45 AM

I seen them. It's a nice looking header.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you're concerned about the length of your o2 sensor harness ? we had that issue especially how ours exited on the drivers side. We simply extended the harness ... the increase in wire resistance was not anything detrimental, a/f was still on point or very close.

Greg
Old 06-27-2005, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HYTECH SIDE EXIT DRAG HEADER OR SIMILAR, WHO"S RUNNING ONE? (CHEETAH)

Thanks, I'll make sure to tell John to add a second o2.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also John told me 8 weeks turn around time for the headers, is that normal especially since it is race season? It will be done by the first week of August (I hope).
Old 06-27-2005, 07:23 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DEMNTD1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also John told me 8 weeks turn around time for the headers, is that normal especially since it is race season? It will be done by the first week of August (I hope).</TD></TR></TABLE> yes. this is the case for most custom headers from any of the top guys...
Old 06-27-2005, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HYTECH SIDE EXIT DRAG HEADER OR SIMILAR, WHO"S RUNNING ONE? (builthatch)

Ok, another question regarding mounting wide band o2 (Innovate) on the headers. I have a full cat-back exhaust sytem and using a test pipe. Currently it is mounted on the test pipe, I got a sensor timing error which indicates over-heating of the sensor and it only happens during WOT. I then got the heat sink from Innovate and still occured again with a new sensor.

Anyone encounter these problems? According to Felipe of Innovate, each vehicle may produce different temps and told me to move it further downstream into the exhaust system since i am not using a catalytic. That is fine with current setup.

But with the side exit header, I am thinking that even with the heat sink, I may encounter over-heating of the sensor since I am unable to move it further downstream like with a full exhaust system.

At idle I am at about 14.0, part throttle about 14.5, WOT on I am running from 13.5 to 12.8 (1st through 3rd) to 11.6 (4th/5th) and LM-1 reads too rich and freezes sometimes.

I was planning on using another new o2 mounted to the second bung and if over-heats, then I was planning on trying the exhaust clamp from Innovate.

Mentioned on other postings, but never got any solutions.

Any ideas?

Plugs are fine, no signs of detonation or lean condition. Greyish color electrode. No spots on the white ceramic portion.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:07 AM
HT White Ops

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DEMNTD1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also John told me 8 weeks turn around time for the headers, is that normal especially since it is race season? It will be done by the first week of August (I hope).</TD></TR></TABLE>

There were a couple people a few months ago talking about how it took them nearly a year to their headers. They didn't sound unhappy though, so maybe they were expecting it :shrugs:
Old 06-28-2005, 12:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HYTECH SIDE EXIT DRAG HEADER OR SIMILAR, WHO"S RUNNING ONE? (rochesterricer)

Well John has had some personal issues to deal with these last few months so he has not been able to get all the orders out like he planned to. But he insured me that he was back up to speed and trying his best to catch up. I'm waiting on a custom header myself, and expect it to be done soon. But 2-3 months is about the usual time it takes, yes.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HYTECH SIDE EXIT DRAG HEADER OR SIMILAR, WHO"S RUNNING ONE? (Pondus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pondus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well John has had some personal issues to deal with these last few months so he has not been able to get all the orders out like he planned to. But he insured me that he was back up to speed and trying his best to catch up. I'm waiting on a custom header myself, and expect it to be done soon. But 2-3 months is about the usual time it takes, yes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess that's is why I have not received a reply to my emails.