Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

How to find piston dome volume?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to find piston dome volume?

The chamber volume can be found with an inexpensive kit, but what abou the piston dome volume? Basically, you just need to know the cylinder bore, stroke, chamber volume, head gasket thickness, and piston to deck height to find the exact compression ratio. The only value I don't know is the piston dome volume.

Any ideas?

Here is a picture of them...
Old 04-05-2006, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to find piston dome volume? (ranta18)

Call Import Builders (Guessing on piston brand) and ask?
Old 04-06-2006, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to find piston dome volume? (crixzc)

I did. He said 10cc. But I just wanted to double check.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:48 AM

Default Re: How to find piston dome volume? (ranta18)

i use file fit rings gapped to near zero. install the piston on the crank with lots of heavy grease on the cylinder walls to seal the rings completely. lower the piston exactly an inch and measure cc's to top of bore (making sure the dome is below the top of the bore). drop the piston to exactly two inches from the top of the bore and measure again. double your first measurement and subtract from the total of the second measurement, this would be your dome volume.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to find piston dome volume? (Bud's Machine)

Plans are to wrap a thin strip of aluminum around the piston. Put the piston 2cm below the aluminum edge. Place the clear plastic cover w/ hole in it over the metal edge. Take a reading of the liquid in the graduated cylinder. Pour the liquid onto the piston until it fills up. Take another reading. pi*(bore/2)^2*2cm - the amount of liquid used should be the dome volume. I'm just trying to get a general idea of the compression ratio +/- .2
Old 05-28-2010, 11:01 AM
Trial User

Default Re: How to find piston dome volume?

Okay i place the piston in the cylinder block with the top rings insert and then turn the crankshaft to lower the piston an inch from the top of the cylinder bore .Then i grease the top of the block i place a peace of clear plastic plate with the hole in it and cover over the piston i use some green rubbing alcohol with a syringe to fill onto the piston until it fill take the reading that should be piston dome cc volume i'm just learning about piston dome volume

Last edited by wacracing; 05-28-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How to find piston dome volume?

Originally Posted by Bud's Machine
i use file fit rings gapped to near zero. install the piston on the crank with lots of heavy grease on the cylinder walls to seal the rings completely. lower the piston exactly an inch and measure cc's to top of bore (making sure the dome is below the top of the bore). drop the piston to exactly two inches from the top of the bore and measure again. double your first measurement and subtract from the total of the second measurement, this would be your dome volume.
Originally Posted by wacracing
okay i place the piston in the cylinder block with the top rings insert i turn the crankshaft to level the piston dome to the top of the cylinder bore .Place clear plastic with the hole in it cover over the piston i use some green rubbing alcohol with a syringe onto the piston until it fills take the reading that should be dome volume i'm just learning about piston dome volume
Combination of this. Install the piston in the cylinder, bring it to TDC then lower the compression height (not dome) of the piston one inch from the top of the block (or something easy metric) using a dial indicator. Cap it off and measure the volume. Now calculate the theoretical volume of the cylinder area you just measured (3.14 x (0.5 cylinder diameter)^2 x height [one inch in this case]). Make sure you convert so you are using the same units. Subtract your measured volume from the theoretical volume and this should be your dome volume. This can also be used for dished pistons, you will just end up with a negative number.