Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

High oil pressure at idle after oil cooler install

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High oil pressure at idle after oil cooler install

Just installed a Setrab 19row oil cooler and a Mfactory remote oil filter relocator. Used 10AN lines. B18C motor.

Before the install I had about 2-2.4bar oil pressure at idle at normal operating temp (85C). Now I've got 3.5-4bar. When I rev the car oil pressure is the same as before at around 5-6bar. What might cause this??

If I didn't mess anything up, my pressure sensor should be installed after the cooler. It was previously installed in an adapter below the oil filter. Maybe the location of the pressure sensor have something to say? Does it matter which way the oil flows?
Attached Images    

Last edited by Pompiuses; 09-23-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High oil pressure at idle after oil cooler install

I'd think it would be normal that more resistance would lead to higher pressure, no?

EDIT: Also, nice setup, Pompiuses!
Old 09-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Oyvind Ryeng
I'd think it would be normal that more resistance would lead to higher pressure, no?

EDIT: Also, nice setup, Pompiuses!
Yes that'd be correct if you mount the sensor before the cooler. Mine should be after the cooler. Unless I got the oil flowing the wrong way through the lines.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Like stated more restriction, bends, length of pipe, etc will cause an increase in pressure. Just watch out for pressure drop. Minimum pressure at idle at normal operating temp is 10 psi if I recall.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You probably have a hose backwards. Or where you are taking the pressure reading from. The only way to increase pressure is to restrict the END of the flow. Think about it.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ruffrhyder
Like stated more restriction, bends, length of pipe, etc will cause an increase in pressure. Just watch out for pressure drop. Minimum pressure at idle at normal operating temp is 10 psi if I recall.
Only if you are reading the pressure BEFORE the restrictions. AFTER the restrictions would lower the pressure. Garden hose stuff.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My oil flow direction is:
block -> cooler --> relocation adapter with sensor --> block

Since the the sensor is mounted after the cooler pressure should be lower than before. Maybe oil flow direction is backwards. If so how does that affect the oil filter?
Old 09-23-2010, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Found the Mfactory install instructions:
http://www.tougetuning.com/installat...oler%20Kit.pdf

Looks like I installed everything right. Just weird that I get so high oil pressure at idle even when I'm measuring pressure after the cooler. Might be that I'm running pretty thick oil (Gulf Racing 10w60). The car's used for circuit racing in the weekends so I wanted to use a thick oil. Perhaps idle oil pressure would drop a bit with a thinner oil.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd like higher oil psi, you should have around 12-20psi @ idle, anything in that range is acceptable.. at around 3k rpms you should be in the upper 40's.. you dont want more then 100psi at redline / wot... if you go above 100psi, then i'd worry.. other then that.. your fine..
Old 09-23-2010, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

3.5-4bar@idle=50-58psi

So it's high at idle but seems normal other than that.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've got such relocation kit and at the same Ive got oil temp and oil pressure sensors installed. Now I dont know what use to be my engine oil pressure before but it all seemed ok and it still seems ok, only thing that I dont understand now why my oil pressure is so high too!?!?
Could it possibly be that my oil lines are connected wrong way?
Here is a pic of how it is connected

the lines are pretty long but they seemed large enough diameter... they are not bend anywhere, and as far as I understood from the very begining the way oil is getting in to the oil filter is from the center plug in to the filter and then from the around holes in the filter back in to the block(is this right or wrong??)

anyway, thats how I have thought when connecting the kit and the center pipe from the block centre pin leads to oil adapter center , and then second oil pipe returns clean oil in to the block via pipe which is aside of the center one on the block adapter...

are my thoughts correct after all??

Oil pressure gauge displays over 100psi when cold, and drops to ~50 when idling hot @ ~800-900rpm

now if I rev just a little bit lets say 600-1000 rpm the gauge pops to over 100psi right away... could there be a problem with something from my kit or is it all good?

Im so confused now for the last 5 days since installed on my B18C SiR/GSR
Old 09-24-2010, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BTW: Using Castrol Edge 10w-30 fully synthetic oil. with relocation kit installed I wasnt enough 4L of oil to reach the level as usually, this time it took ~4.5-4.8 L of oil - I guess its because it had to fill the pipes of relocation kit.
If Im right - there is bypas valve at the top back in the oil filter which opens when the oil pressure is too high not to burst the filter so it alows oil to bypass filtering process to continue serve engine lubrication, and according to this the drawing that I've done with oil flow directions should be correct. Otherwise feel free to correct me
Old 09-24-2010, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondaImplanted
Could it possibly be that my oil lines are connected wrong way?[/IMG]

Oil pressure gauge displays over 100psi when cold, and drops to ~50 when idling hot @ ~800-900rpm
See here for how to connect the lines:
http://www.tougetuning.com/installat...oler%20Kit.pdf

~50psi@idle hot is what I get as well. Normal would be 20-30psi. My max pressure is about 95psi when I hit vtec, which is about normal. Cruising I get about 85psi.

Maybe it is the MFactory relocator that somehow builds more pressure where the sensor is mounted?
Old 09-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BTW: Using Castrol Edge 10w-30 fully synthetic oil. with relocation kit installed I wasnt enough 4L of oil to reach the level as usually, this time it took ~4.5-4.8 L of oil - I guess its because it had to fill the pipes of relocation kit.
If Im right - there is bypas valve at the top back in the oil filter which opens when the oil pressure is too high not to burst the filter so it alows oil to bypass filtering process to continue serve engine lubrication, and according to this the drawing that I've done with oil flow directions should be correct. Otherwise feel free to correct me
You have the filter drawn backwards. The oil goes in the outside, and out the center to the block.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pr0honda
You have the filter drawn backwards. The oil goes in the outside, and out the center to the block.
ghm ...

the way I was thinking is I looked where center threaded tube comes from the block in to the sandwich adaptor relocator plate I've connected the pipe going from that place in to center place to other oil filter relocation place so filter should receive oil flow the same direction as being on the block just as w/o the relocation kit... so maybe I've done good job there...

maybe I've draw arrows wrong direction alright but anyway lines installed ok I presume as I have explained above.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what I have thought about now as if oil comes in to the oil filter trough outside of the filter - oposite the way I have drawn in the picture, pressure could be come too high only due to poor quality oil filter - lets say it does not let the oil to flow freely enough - is that possible or any oil filter will allow oil to flow ~equally?
Old 09-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what I've just checked - maybe there's a problem in wiring too? If I unplugged sender cable from the pressure sensor while on idling at ~800rpm psi nedle jumps right up to 120psi scale, once connected goes back down to ~50psi :D

will probably have to solder every wires during weekend not being lazy maybe something will improve
Old 09-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what I have thought about now as if oil comes in to the oil filter trough outside of the filter - oposite the way I have drawn in the picture, pressure could be come too high only due to poor quality oil filter - lets say it does not let the oil to flow freely enough - is that possible or any oil filter will allow oil to flow ~equally?
If you take the pressure before the filter, and hook it up backwards, the pressure will be high. The outer holes, generally, have a one way rubber valve to let oil IN not OUT. It is an anti-drain back feature. Look at the stock system, oil pump, down block to OUTER holes, turn in filter, go down center of filter to block.
I will see if I have a neet pic I took about a modified oil system @ DFE.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

waiting for pic, my filters are lame - dont seem to have that feature...
Old 09-24-2010, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Interesting article on oil.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php...tor_oil_basics

As suggested, some of the pressure may be the 10w60. That pressure may be more normal coming off of the track hot. What about trying different oil when not tracking? Perhaps that was track hot pressure and I missed it.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When I think of it, both the adapter at the block and the relocator adapter will give some resistance as well as the oil cooler. So if you measure oil pressure at one of those locations oil pressure will be a bit higher. The only good place to measure oil pressure is as far as I can see is just before the oil enters back into the block. Then it will have no restrictions in front of it. So I think the slightly higher readings are normal since my sensor is located in the relocator adapter.

Besides I went to a track day this Saturday and everything worked excellent. Oil temps never went over 112C.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Pompiuses
When I think of it, both the adapter at the block and the relocator adapter will give some resistance as well as the oil cooler. So if you measure oil pressure at one of those locations oil pressure will be a bit higher. The only good place to measure oil pressure is as far as I can see is just before the oil enters back into the block. Then it will have no restrictions in front of it. So I think the slightly higher readings are normal since my sensor is located in the relocator adapter.

Besides I went to a track day this Saturday and everything worked excellent. Oil temps never went over 112C.
I did noticed pressure gauge pops right up to highest if signal sender cable is removed so the other Idea I came across is - I have used hondabond on pressure and temperature sensors threads before installed them on to relocation kit, this may have caused some restriction between PSI sensor and ground to chassis because this how it sends the signal to gauge via one wire - giving the strength of the ground to the sender cable, the stronger signal the lower units should be shown will try to add additional grounding to sensors this evening to see if I'm right