Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Cams are in, headwork done, and now.. Im starving for fuel!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cams are in, headwork done, and now.. Im starving for fuel!

So I finally got the cams in and had the head work performed, after having sat on a butt load of performance parts for the past few months. Part 2 of a 4 part process is now complete.

Part 1 consisted of me swapping out my old B16A2 block, and adding a gaggle of bolt-ons. At its completion my car had a hybrid B18C5/B16A2 motor (B18C5 block + a slightly modified B16A2 head, including a valve job and upgrading the valve train), I/H/E, and a modified P28 ECU which was converted to uberdata (a free version of Hondata).

Compression was sitting at around 10.8:1, and while still running stock B16A2 cams, intake manifold, and throttle body, my car produced 170WHP and 130 wheel torque on the dyno... and that dyno is notorious for reading LOW.

In BHP terms, I was putting out about 5hp and a few ft lbs of tq more then a stock 2001 Acura Integra Type R. This was later confirmed when I raced a 2000 ITR with I/H/E. I pulled a nose on him and held it there, with no gain or less to and past 130MPH. Twice.

Bit I digress...

I have just now completed step 2. That being the addition of some Skunk 2 Stage 2 cams, a 2 layer Spoon head gasket, a hondata intake manifold gasket, skunk 2 cam gears, and milling the head a bit, in order to increase compression into the range of ~11.7:1

Oh, and a butload of ECU tuning.

After that was all said and done we found out that my car was detonating all sorts. We had to retard the timing quite a bit in order to get it running correctly. Upon further analysis we found that my injectors were running at full duty cycle (100%) at 75% throttle!

This is not good.

Now I do have a 190lph in tank fuel pump, but that alone is no where near enough. The injectors are the bottle neck. So I now have a FPR/gauge and RC Engineering 370 high pressure saturated injectors on order. After installing those and bumping up the fuel pressure with the FPR... AND getting it all tuned out again, the car should be running like a champ.

We have set the rev limiter to 9200RPM (below the maximum power potential of these cams believe it or not) and plan on making at least 200hp at the wheels.

After this I will be adding a better intake manifold, and a larger throttle body, seeing as how those are the final bottle necks. I will also be having this all tuned with a wideband and on a dyno by Church Engineering up in Long Beach, Ca (a local legend in hondata/Uberdata/Crome tuning).

Of course I will be doing another final 2 dyno runs on August 20, next month at the same place I pulled my 170WHP run in order to get the most accurate measurement in improvement over last time. Any and all are welcome to come. PM, reply or email me for details. That’s going to be held here in San Diego of course. 50 bucks for 2 wideband pulls. Not bad at all.

Modified by JoeB18-R at 1:49 AM 7/23/2005